Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 107,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to Michigan 6 months ago and have been renting a house in New Baltimore. There is a new construction house off of 27 mile road in New Haven I am interested. My realtor told me to be careful in the area as the schools have a bad rep, there is a foundry nearby that polluted the soil, and the nieghborhood is only like 10% complete and may take 10 years to get going again. Please give me your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

38 posts, read 121,361 times
I Know the subdivisions that you are talking about, check out the property taxes, they are unreal for a town like New Haven. Those homes taxes were about 5k and up.Plus there is an association fee, So I don't think you would actually own the land, the developer does. Also keep in mind the GIANT land fill (Mount Trashmoore) just a mile or so north, you can smell it for miles! Be careful, the ghetto-ness of New Haven has spread south along the Gratiot corridor through Chesterfield.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM

426 posts, read 1,282,898 times
Default new haven

I live in New Haven right at 27 and Gratiot, not in the section you are talking about. That is right behind me.
You are better off where you are. Several times a week you can smell the burning of natural gas all around here. There is a massive dump-landfill right down the road at 29 Mile. If you drive down that way you can see two towers of natural gas burning. The smell is quite strong at times. I don't know how the people put up with it down that way. You can smell it down to 26 Mile depending on what way the wind is blowing.
If I had of known that beforehand I would not have came here, now I am stuck.
As for those homes there. There are two sections one on either side of the road, also another one that looks like they were going to start on and never did. A lot of those homes are up for sale. They are all basically look the same and are very close together.They are all two and three stories high. I am sure they cost a fortune and are thrown up quick and cheap. The homes on the other side are a little more varied, but that is the one they stopped working on.
Also the water rates here are high. They were talking about going up over100% at one point. I don't know what became of that. I live in the trailer park, so my water has not been affected yet.
They also have a different gas company out here, Semco, and I think their rates are higher than what I was used to in the city with Consumers.
I do not have any kids, so I can not comment on that.
There are very few businesses here. The closest grocery stores are on 23 Mile, and 31 Mile There is a Meijers on 26 Mile also, and from where I am that is about four miles also, so average milage to the grocery from 27 Mile is four miles. There are about three little resteraunts here, New Haven Coney Island, Louies Coney Island and Adrians Diner. There's also a Hungry Howies, and a McDonalds on 26 Mile. They just put up a Rite Aid and a National City Bank up on the corner of 27. There are some new vacant storefronts there also. Have no idea what is coming. There are a few gas stations, a Tractor Supply store and one bar, and a couple of party stores.That is what is here for you store/shopping/entertainment wise. I may have missed a few things.
My reccomendation stay away from here unless you want to buy my place.I would leave in a minute if I could afford it. Wish I had of known about this site three years ago.

Last edited by kathys; 01-31-2009 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: added

Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 AM

30 posts, read 107,355 times
Thanks for the info. I will probably stay away. The neighborhood is off of Pembrooke, which is a subdivision road running south from 27, about a half-mile west of Gratiot. The house is really nice, 2400 sq. ft., brand new for 169,000, but I am worried about being able to sell it in 5 years or so. Are they ever going to build more houses in this sub? Lasalle homes is the builder.

Last edited by Bryan29; 01-31-2009 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM

Default New Haven

That is the one right behind us, on the opposite side of the street. The one that has started and they stopped.
The houses look good, but yeah you have to think about what the realtor told you also.There was a house behind there in the town section that was for sale for a while. It was'nt a bad looking house, good size with siding and a garage. It started out in the low 100ks it finally went for 63K.It could have been trashed inside though, but that is what it went for.
Where did you move from? Don't you like New Baltimore?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,941 times
Default Great small town for small price

New Haven is a great place to raise a family. There is no smell at 27 mile..I live in that neighborhood. I have no idea what the person from the "trailer park" is talking about. I have lived here for 5 yrs and have many great friends. I am a professional that loves the rural area. The school district is wonderful and changing/improving by the day. We have a lovely house that is located on a nice piece of land. The taxes are high..but if you cannot afford a house here in this town-don't move here!!! New businesses are coming in and there are many wonderful, professional, educated people, like me & my husband moving to New Haven. As far as the growing pains go..typical for new growing towns. Give it a chance, I wouldn't take 1 person's recommendation to heart. We welcome good, family orientated people. Please move here!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM

I'm the trailer park person. I routinelly smell the gas that burns from the 29 Mile landfill. I don't know where you are situated. It must not blow your way. If you drive down Gratiot toward Richmond it will knock you out at times. I can not see how that would be healthy or whu anyone would want to be exposed to it.
There have also been numerous reports of contaminated water around here.Oh and not to forget that water rate increase thhat is coming so that new pipes and sewerage can be put in.
I am out of here as soon as I can find someone to unload this place on. I hope they don't do a lot of research on this area. I wish I had of before I bought it.
Anyone that is interested should come and look and check it out for themselves.Do some research first. I also live here and just because it is a trailer park, don't mean that I don't know the area. I have been here for over three years. Do you think that I am making up the gas smell. I was not the only person that mentioned this by the way.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,956 times
Question Smell, Taxes, and Water Issues

Yes there is a smell in the summer at times,taxes in the new subs run around 1800 per half year plus school taxes, water bills are routinely 100 to 200 dollars depending on how often you water your lawn. My own for the month of july-sept quarter was around $230.00 and I was watching my water use. That bill is expected to rise by $35 per quarter with the new bond proposal and possibly more with increases from the Det water Bd. The new subs were sold as single family homes, you own the land and the home, there is a yearly fee of $300 +. They want you to get permission for anything you do to the outside of your property. It's an archaic village where the issue is control. We pay taxes to New Haven and Lenox Township which is the big reason for the higher taxes. Crime is pretty much minor or non existent. The schools are questionable on meap scores. CHANGE is something that is hard to come by here. I will leave when the home-values are back up again.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 12,941 times
Quoting Kathy: Guess what? The landfill has been required to clean up, in fact there is a lawsuit and the residents of the town are getting a cash settlement. The residents here were never in danger with the smell, all landfills are by law required to be tested, to protect the public. Honestly, I live in a sub right at 27/Gratiot, no smell, ever! Also, the water is not contaminated. There were times when the water pressure was low because of the issues with the sewer (new pipes now)-boil water alerts..temp for maybe 2 days. This issue is resolved. The water bills are going up, that's right for the sewer work, but not that much. Anyway, the town still needs some work and taxes are high (fight at the local assessor's office), but we do have a new middle school being built. Again, it takes time for a new community to change and grow. We have seen much improvement. This seems like a forum for those who complain just to complain, and those are the people who never want to do anything to improve their situation or work to improve their community.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM

My place is for sale. I don't know if any potential buyers would feel safe with the fac that the dump is only two miles away.I am sorry but I do not trust any government or their testings to tell me that the place is safe. I guess the gaas smell that reaches here on occassion is my imagination. I don't see how breathing the odor from the gas release is healthy. Please how me some reports about it. Am I going to be able to get in on this cash settlement as I live ar 27 Mile also. Do you ever drive down Gratiot toward Richmond and not smell that gas smell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan