Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan residents who are doing well, housing market, public school system, state government, tax credits, booming businesses, corrupted values system, economic system

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM

98 posts, read 321,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
I applaud you, my wife and I are 27 and 28 respectively, and have similar values when it comes to money. We were a pen stroke away from purchasing a new home last year but cannot see ourselves living in Michigan beyond this year. After renting houses for so long its hard for us to outweigh the financial freedom of saving 80% of our income monthly, against having a mortgage amidst falling home values. I'm really paranoid about debt...I put about 1K on my Amex card per month for expenses and its zeroed out when I receive the bill...or else I would get very nervous. (well that and whatever your charge is due in full each month). I'm just not sure I could live with a 250K debt showing up on my credit report? My father is the same way...his work started slowing down last year so he sold his 30 acres and home in trade for renting. I'm sure I'll buy a home soon, just not in Michigan unfortunately.

Thanks! And may I applaud you too! We were at a point too where we were thinking about moving south. Can I ask where you are looking? I do feel a little "stuck" now that we are in a house but I've also started to realize that for me it's not so much where I live as it is who is near me such as family and friends.

I had second thoughts about leaving MI b/c of the whole "grass is not greener" concept. I feared we would move (to SC) and fall in love with the winter weather...and that's about it. We would all of a sudden be without friends and family and for what - a nicer winter?! I don't know - maybe someday we'll move but as we start thinking about having kids it's nice to know that my family will be around for that.

Do you have family out of state too? I'm still curious as to others who are leaving - where they are going and the reason. I mean I know it's bad in MI but it's bad everywhere and of course our winters are tough but the summers are great....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I have no way of telling the age of all previous posters, but it would be interesting to see if any of those who claimed that they are "doing very well" were under age 35. Again I cannot assume people's ages by reading text, but rarely do we see someone in their 20's today with the same financial security their parents held at the same age.

There are a few exceptions, although everyone I think of that I know who is doing "well" isn't young, they are those who were lucky enough to finish the bulk of their careers before the 90's ended. Allowing them to build credit histories, 401k's...and certainly obtaining a mortgage in a less stringent era.

But also keep in mind that those who graduated from college in the past also went where jobs were. Many people choose fields that don't exist in their small hometowns and they should realize that moving might be necessary. There's nothing new with that.

I think what's newer is the idea that you simply go to college and then should have a job waiting whereever you want to live and that's never been the case.

Many of the older successful people did their relocations, some might have obtained experience and moved back. The good thing is when someone is young, doesn't have children, moving is easy.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
My wife and I are doing pretty good. At the same time we have a lot of debt , but right now it's more than manageable. We bought a house last year knowing that the economy was getting worse. But its a mortgage we could afford if one, or possibly, both of us were unemployed. And we plan on staying at for another 15 years. I must admit I do not really like Michigan but it is home and I am comfortable here for now. Sounds weird I know. However, when our son graduates we will move somewhere else. Either south or out west.

I am an Automotive engineer, so for me to still have a job is remarkable. My wife works as well, but she is in a much less risky field that I am, so we are not worried about her getting laid off.

There are jobs here. I still get a call every week or two.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMovesSouth View Post
Thanks! And may I applaud you too! We were at a point too where we were thinking about moving south. Can I ask where you are looking? I do feel a little "stuck" now that we are in a house but I've also started to realize that for me it's not so much where I live as it is who is near me such as family and friends.

I had second thoughts about leaving MI b/c of the whole "grass is not greener" concept. I feared we would move (to SC) and fall in love with the winter weather...and that's about it. We would all of a sudden be without friends and family and for what - a nicer winter?! I don't know - maybe someday we'll move but as we start thinking about having kids it's nice to know that my family will be around for that.

Do you have family out of state too? I'm still curious as to others who are leaving - where they are going and the reason. I mean I know it's bad in MI but it's bad everywhere and of course our winters are tough but the summers are great....

For us, it was the economy, but more so the preference of scenery...the more we traveled around the country the more we realized there were other places we would rather be. Having a home here certainly does keep you here for a while and that is one of the reasons I decided not to last year. I have family all over the country, so that isn't an issue for us. I have a daughter who will be in school next year, so I wanted to get the relocation over with before she was settled somewhere also. I'm not blinded by the "greener pastures" saying, as there are people struggling all across this country. But, it can't be denied that other areas are doing well either, I guess its a preference of what you want down the road...planning is key.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM

98 posts, read 321,426 times
Quote:
For us, it was the economy, but more so the preference of scenery...the more we traveled around the country the more we realized there were other places we would rather be. Having a home here certainly does keep you here for a while and that is one of the reasons I decided not to last year. I have family all over the country, so that isn't an issue for us. I have a daughter who will be in school next year, so I wanted to get the relocation over with before she was settled somewhere also. I'm not blinded by the "greener pastures" saying, as there are people struggling all across this country. But, it can't be denied that other areas are doing well either, I guess its a preference of what you want down the road...planning is key.

Good luck!

Good luck to you and your family! Enjoy a warmer winter (assuming South is the general direction you are heading)!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 24,836 times
Quote:
I have no way of telling the age of all previous posters, but it would be interesting to see if any of those who claimed that they are "doing very well" were under age 35. Again I cannot assume people's ages by reading text, but rarely do we see someone in their 20's today with the same financial security their parents held at the same age.
The problem with 20-something's today is the fact that it seems so easy to get a credit card these days. We also watched our parents just swipe a card to pay for things and that idea can get engrained in your head ("I don't have any cash... but I want this... I'll just use pretend money!"). It took Dave Ramsey's radio "Get out of debt" show to really turn my thinking around.

Plus, in my dad's day, a college degree wasn't nearly as necessary as it is today. He could have gone out and got a (relative) $50,000 job right out of high school, where as I have to get my BBA just to get a friggin' mail room job. It's easy for us to have the same financial security as our parents, we just get it 7-8 years later. Studies have shown that back two generations you were fairly ready to get out on your own mentally at the age of 18 or 19. Now that age is around 23 to 25.

Speaking of which, I'm 25 and my fiancee is 23, and we're doing alright for our situation. All I'm doing is delivering pizza's and I'm making more than either of her parents (not trying to brag). We're still trying to figure out how we're staying busy at our restaurant though. Doesn't seem logical that we would be right on track with our sales from last year. But we have a little money in the bank and are starting to have some breathing room with our finances. I wish everyone else in the state could be in the same situation at minimum though.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,736 times
My husband and I are doing well here, He has a very stable job and I stay at home. We aren't behind on any bills, and are not living on rice and beans although we do live well below our means in order to prepare for the future and our eventual retirement. Hubby had to take a significant pay cut last year in order to train for a new position in his company, so living less on less meant we didn't go into debt to maintain a lifestyle. Things will look up a lot when his training is finished in the Spring, and his salary increases.

If we hadn't been living below our means we would have probably had much higher monthly expenses to try and keep up with over the past year, thank goodness it just meant we didn't go out or take vacations or spend money on extras. We were still able to eat very well and not feel like we were having to deny ourselves everything. But when his salary rises we will be doing a few things we simply couldn't afford to do on the lower pay, like replacing the fence around our yard and doing some other home repairs we put off for a year.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
My husband and I are doing well here, He has a very stable job and I stay at home. We aren't behind on any bills, and are not living on rice and beans although we do live well below our means in order to prepare for the future and our eventual retirement. Hubby had to take a significant pay cut last year in order to train for a new position in his company, so living less on less meant we didn't go into debt to maintain a lifestyle. Things will look up a lot when his training is finished in the Spring, and his salary increases.

If we hadn't been living below our means we would have probably had much higher monthly expenses to try and keep up with over the past year, thank goodness it just meant we didn't go out or take vacations or spend money on extras. We were still able to eat very well and not feel like we were having to deny ourselves everything. But when his salary rises we will be doing a few things we simply couldn't afford to do on the lower pay, like replacing the fence around our yard and doing some other home repairs we put off for a year.
Always good to hear!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan