Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used and abused View Post
I was one of the first "techs" hired in to oxford forge. From day one it was stressed that Oxford forge would be a Non-union shop,PERIOD! I was personally told by the plant manager that if the union came in our jobs would be gone(shipped to Mexico)! There were good things,an occasional BBQ,free Gatorade! The plant manager one day found a candy wrapper on the floor and took pictures of it and reamed the whole plant! I was asked by him to find out who was pro-union and who wasn't,each time it was behind closed doors! If you were sick or missed one day, you were written up and fired! Period!!
Also, management will say they want safety, what company turns loose inexperienced "kids" to manually handle axles that are 2000 degrees, run 10-15 overhead cranes with zero training and no experience! On one occasion a cement worker put the crane remote on his pocket and didn't realize he was raising it while attached to an upsetter(press) luckily nobody died! Oxford forge needs skilled labor, not kids happy to make 10.00/hour! OSHA should take a good long look at this facility! ASAP! I have so many close call stories, I could write a book on it! On one occasion an employee was drunk and his boss needed the parts so bad, he waited till he finished his shift to send him to the clinic! Wow, that is not safety first, it's parts first! If you drive a GM pick-up, I am sorry for your luck! Now they have this guy(red hair) running production and he is so clueless it's laughable, he's a numbers guy! To bad he is just adding up the injuries! Last but not least, the CEO would come through once a year, and the plant manager would rent trailers and hide all the crap at the business across the street! World class(not)! It's just a matter of time til it's shuttered like the DMC! When Mike would take his medicine he was tolerable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,733 times
The turn over is high the pay is ok to start, its 11.23 hr. But they want u to work like. Your making. $25hr. They treat you like. **** and will work you to death. The benefits. Are not that good a tech is the one that keeps the lines running fixes it if they break down, the top out pay is bull for example a Hilo driver which is the hardest job there. Top out pay is $13.25 hr same thing for the line operator. They tell you when u start there and when you are working there. That they encourage schooling but they won't. Work with you at all if on it. Like me I went back to school and I had a choice between going to school and keeping. My job I choice my job, they tell you that you can take wat days or hours you need off as long as you have someone to cover your job. Like me when I signed up for school I would have to come in 2hrs early and leave 2hours. And I had people who would have cover me for those 2hours Monday through Friday. And the plant manger said. No they don't work with. School schedules so they told me I world have to drop out of school, I told them no,
So I lost my job they lie to you tell you one thing then do another I don't recommend. Working there unless your good with having a dead end job. Because that's what it is, and they always write people up for dumb **** even if its not your fault. And lets say if you need surgery. For something and you will miss work for a few months you won't. Have a job to come too wen you. Can come back. That's how it is there any questions feel free to ask

Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 AM

I would feel bad for people that lost their job but this. Company needs to change how stuff is ran or be shutdown

Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM

but the funny thing about safety Roger. That does the. Safety. Training was having us train in the plant on the crane and this. Moron was walking in front of the crane with a tool die attached to it while it was swining and wen he was giving out group the tour he broke 32 safety rules. In 5mins

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,999 times
Roger, The safty guy,is a complete fool. He brags of his days doing"acid"! Thats what every company needs in a safty person. The saleried people come and go,They strool in late,leave early and when they are there its a joke! Just look at their accident reports! They never include the "near misses" by that I mean "near deaths"! A forging plant is not a place to turn loose "kids" to do skilled labor! Every month the have an "ops review" where the executives from Detroit come through and they pull the wool over their eyes! Painting over dirt,hiding all the junk down the street at their perverted old mans house! Just look at the saleried people that have quit, all the good saleried people no longer work there. I wonder why? The old plant manager was so Bi-poler his nose would turn red like Bozo the clown,over stupid ****! If you parked your car just a little crooked,he would humiliate you and make you go move it,perfectly straight! David Dauch needs to look at this facility real good,not just the numbers of ring gears or axles made but the numbers of good ones made! Poor quality! Also the numbers of accidents,have the employees are on drugs! Its a none smoking plant, and they require you to wear all black uniforms,then they make you stand in the road to smoke? That makes sense! While the non-smokers get to cover their lazy asses! I have witnessed cranes ripped right from the roof, dies not tied down properly and then the pressed rolled over? Then told just strap it up,no biggie! We need parts,the truck is waiting,hurry,hurry! The "temps" are ok,but they are racist towards them. I have personally been told by one cordinator,that is at Three rivers now, I won't hire him he's black! Thats a bunch of bull****! Its 2013 not 1813! MIOSHA needs to do a suprise walk-through in this plant,right away! And now they put me on midnights with one days notice! Yeah right,we will see how long that lasts! This place is a ticking safty timebomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
Angry i work at the forge

It's true it is a crap place to work but with the economy the way it is...lets face it I need a job. Mike the old plant manager was a dick at times, but I now see why. Our new plant manager never comes out onto the floor unless there is a tour or an ops review, the whole management team has taken advantage of the new plant manager & it's like a free for all in the shop. The reason why there is **** poor morale in the shop is because of MANAGEMENT, FAVORITISM, CRAPPY MAINTENANCE, POOR HUMAN RESOURCES SUPPORT, & YOUNG PUNK ASS KIDS that think they know everything. Also they used to throw a big fit about hiring any type of felon, but they would allow temps who were child molesters, thieves, & drug dealers work in our shop & bring it into our community. That's bullcrap!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
I have only been at Oxford Forge for about a year, but my experience has been pretty good. Yes the work is hard. Yes the summer was hot, but they pay better than my last job and I have had 3 raises since I was hired. They also pay for me to go to school. Non of my previous employers did that.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,577 times
Update:

Things are better, but still not the best place to come in at an entry-level position. Of course AAM still doesn't find it necessary to give us resources to fix our equipment, so we struggle with that all day. I would really like to see more people that work for the Forge come out on here and speak their mind, because I know that we don't get a chance to. Of course we don't get paid enough so our opinions don't hold water.

If they don't want to listen at the plant level then maybe someone will read this and listen at the corporate level. Maybe we can even save someone from their soul getting crushed at this hell-hole.

So please, if you work at this place, I encourage you to go crazy and speak freely. Maybe someone will start listening.

Oh I know, some may say "Maybe you're just being negative/lazy/overreaching" but you will know what I'm talking about when you have worked here.

Of course there are some success stories. A few people have been "promoted" to positions of specific responsibility from the floor. They applied themselves and worked towards a goal. I feel bad for the kid that they "promoted" (I put that in quotes because they didn't increase his pay or title) to some bull-crap fake title which is just a position that we have so management can show corporate and say "Look we empower our associates!". He tries to fight for us but they don't listen to him either.

The people that I think we should be supporting:

Area Manager: He tries hard and truly does think about our safety and well-being first. I remember when our shift coordinator and old area manager said that we will run the equipment when our lights went out. The new area manager (then facilities manager) informed everyone to keep their equipment off and went up to the offices and ripped them a new one for putting us in danger.

The "Hybrids": The guys that get ripped off by being put in pseudo-management positions and don't get a pay increase to show for it. They're trying their best to do their jobs. They might be kids but they are smart and open-minded. Not to mention they know exactly where we come from.

The Materials Managers: They know how messed up our systems are and they are trying their best to bring them up to people and get things fixed themselves.

Let it rain people. Try not to use names. The people that have been here will know who we're talking about.

P.S. If someone from corporate is reading this: We completely fudge our performance numbers to make ourselves look better. We can't keep up with production demand that is ever-increasing while our equipment conditions are ever-decreasing.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Ive been here for just under 2 years. got my tech position fairly quick. it is tuff and real hot at times in the summer. but my pay is good and no where around here pays what they pay me. for the most part its ok. never really had problems with any of the manager guys. they seem to help me when i need it. the new manager has seemed to help everyone get along better than before. but everyone has bad days i guess. just wish it was a little cooler in the summer. for sure in the afternoon.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,540 times
Default Do any females work on the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theforgesucks View Post
Update:

Things are better, but still not the best place to come in at an entry-level position. Of course AAM still doesn't find it necessary to give us resources to fix our equipment, so we struggle with that all day. I would really like to see more people that work for the Forge come out on here and speak their mind, because I know that we don't get a chance to. Of course we don't get paid enough so our opinions don't hold water.

If they don't want to listen at the plant level then maybe someone will read this and listen at the corporate level. Maybe we can even save someone from their soul getting crushed at this hell-hole.

So please, if you work at this place, I encourage you to go crazy and speak freely. Maybe someone will start listening.

Oh I know, some may say "Maybe you're just being negative/lazy/overreaching" but you will know what I'm talking about when you have worked here.

Of course there are some success stories. A few people have been "promoted" to positions of specific responsibility from the floor. They applied themselves and worked towards a goal. I feel bad for the kid that they "promoted" (I put that in quotes because they didn't increase his pay or title) to some bull-crap fake title which is just a position that we have so management can show corporate and say "Look we empower our associates!". He tries to fight for us but they don't listen to him either.

The people that I think we should be supporting:

Area Manager: He tries hard and truly does think about our safety and well-being first. I remember when our shift coordinator and old area manager said that we will run the equipment when our lights went out. The new area manager (then facilities manager) informed everyone to keep their equipment off and went up to the offices and ripped them a new one for putting us in danger.

The "Hybrids": The guys that get ripped off by being put in pseudo-management positions and don't get a pay increase to show for it. They're trying their best to do their jobs. They might be kids but they are smart and open-minded. Not to mention they know exactly where we come from.

The Materials Managers: They know how messed up our systems are and they are trying their best to bring them up to people and get things fixed themselves.

Let it rain people. Try not to use names. The people that have been here will know who we're talking about.

P.S. If someone from corporate is reading this: We completely fudge our performance numbers to make ourselves look better. We can't keep up with production demand that is ever-increasing while our equipment conditions are ever-decreasing.
Do any females work on the line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan