Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some names of nice restaurants in the metro Detroit area? I'm going to be there next weekend visiting my husband, and since the company pays...I'd like to go to a nice restaurant. Preferrably, not a chain, since most of those I can get here in Dallas.

Any ideas?

TIA!!

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
Try Seldom Blues downtown in the Ren Cen. Frank Taylor, owner, has a great eye for quality. It was voted restaurant of the year last year. Enjoy your visit.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 186,844 times
What area of metro detroit, its a big area with many great places to eat. It will help with suggestions if you name a city

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Everything I can think of in Troy is a chain.

Ann Arbor has some fine, pricey eateries.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
What area of metro detroit, its a big area with many great places to eat. It will help with suggestions if you name a city

Well, we'll be staying in Livonia, but don't mind driving somewhere else.

Thanks!!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
If you're vegetarian (or even not), Inn Season Cafe is a great place in Royal Oak...it's small, but nice atmosphere.

If you like Thai food, Rexy's Bangkok Cuisine in Royal Oak is a great combination of good food and atmosphere. It's family-friendly too.

If you like sushi, go to Izakaya Sanpei in Plymouth (very close to Livonia by the way). It's the best Japanese food I've ever had in the Midwest and usually, I'm the only Caucasian eating there when I go, so I take it as a good sign Plymouth is a very cute downtown you can walk around in btw.

If you want a brewery type of place, try Rochester Mills Brewery. Also, Kruse and Muer is a great restaurant in downtown Rochester. Rochester is a cute little downtown about 45 minutes north of Livonia.

A large chain of Lebanese restaurants that is still great for being a chain is LaShish...They have one in Livonia. Great pitas and a killer garlic spread there.

If you want Greek food, Greektown is the place to go...It's in dowtown area of Detroit. All the restaurants are great there! Also, there's Mexicantown too and you can't go wrong at any of those restaurants either.

Sweet Lorraine's is a cute, quaint place too. They have one in Southfield now I noticed which is not far from Livonia (maybe 15 minute drive).

If you want to venture to Ann Arbor, which is 20-30 minutes from Livonia, you won't find a shortage of restaurants. I highly recommend a Korean place on the outskirts of Ann Arbor called Seoul Garden...It's the best Ann Arbor is a great college town you'd absolutely love.

If you want to have Ethiopian, the Blue Nile has locations in Ann Arbor and Ferndale. Just be ready to eat with your hands...I love the veggie platter.

Great Indian places...Rangoli in Auburn Hills/Rochester border; Priya in Troy; Ashoka in Troy and Canton (btw, Canton is near Livonia too and Plymouth). Both Indian places are not chain restaurants in Troy Speaking of non-chain restaurants in Troy...Mon Jin Lau is a great Chinese and Asian fusion place to eat...It has a great ambiance.

There's lots of BD's Mongolian BBQ's if you like that sort of thing...Let's see in Novi, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, and Royal Oak.

If you like Italian, I highly recommend Roma Cafe in Detroit. It's old school and old world...hell yeah!

Let me know if you need more help...I've eaten everywhere LOL

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM

45 posts, read 178,010 times
oh Angel Bear you have made me homesick!! I miss the variety and quality of food there. I'm down here in Florida with not so much as an even slightly decent Thai restaurant and forget about something on par with Rangoli. People think I'm nuts when I come home for a week and head back to Florida with a suitcase full of frozen take-out. I know the luggage screeners must think I am nuts but I am a happy camper for a week or two after I get back

Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 28,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Well, we'll be staying in Livonia, but don't mind driving somewhere else.

Thanks!!
there is Buca DiBeppo in Livonia that is traditional family, southern italian

Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
Quote:
oh Angel Bear you have made me homesick!! I miss the variety and quality of food there. I'm down here in Florida with not so much as an even slightly decent Thai restaurant and forget about something on par with Rangoli. People think I'm nuts when I come home for a week and head back to Florida with a suitcase full of frozen take-out. I know the luggage screeners must think I am nuts but I am a happy camper for a week or two after I get back
No Thai in Florida!?! That is horrible! I feel for you 'cause it's my favorite.

That's good you're able to bring some food home...awesome I've thought about that when I'm in So. Cal. at Wahoo Fish Tacos I wonder if places can FedEx food? Hee hee!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:50 PM

45 posts, read 178,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
No Thai in Florida!?! That is horrible! I feel for you 'cause it's my favorite.

That's good you're able to bring some food home...awesome I've thought about that when I'm in So. Cal. at Wahoo Fish Tacos I wonder if places can FedEx food? Hee hee!
Oh there's Thai but like all ethnic food in S. Fla it's an awful representation!

If you ever find out whether Fedex is an option let me know. I'm desperate enough to try it. My 2 trips to Michigan per year isn't enough to hold me over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan