Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2006, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,674 times

Advertisements

My Dad Lives in Grayling for half of the year and goes to Florida during the winter months, and the rest of my family as well as my wife's all live down state around Lake Orion. My family has lived in Michigan for Several Generations and I moved to Greenville, South Carolina 14 years ago with my Wife. We don't get up there to visit all that much, but the last year or two we have been able to visit down state as well as up at my Dad's. We have been getting home-sick, and are considering moving back to Michigan to spend more time with the Family, and our Kids are 4 and 2 and need to see the Family more too. We Love it up near my Dad's, (Who Doesn't!) but we are not sure if we can put up with the winters up there, or if we will be able to find work and it is still too far to visit with everyone else down-state very often. We could move closer to the main group, say around Fenton or somewhere the taxes are not so much. Can anyone from these area's offer us some advice? Is there any Thriving Industry around Travers City? What about Fenton,Goodrich?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Michigan as a whole has been hurting economically. You should be able to find housing deals up north since people are losing their jobs or are tired of paying high gas prices (currently $3.08/gallon unleaded). Many companies are in the 'on-hold' mode since it's election year for governor. Unemployment is very high, over 7% compared to the nation average of 4%.

To check out schools look at schoolmatters.com and do some comparisions.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Dunno about Traverse City, but Fenton & Goodrich are both nice towns. Fenton is booming - has Walmart, all the usual fast food joints, a Target either just opened or is about to. Subs are starting to sprawl... It also has a nice, older downtown. Goodrich is trying to hold onto a small-town feel and there aren't any of those big-box type places for about 5 miles. Neither has any industry to speak of (though the schools are probably very good) and most folks who live in bedroom communities like them commute towards Detroit.
If you are in the medical profession, you could probably find work somewhere in Genesee County - there's several large hospitals. Generally the area is economically depressed and I don't see it getting better any time soon.
Fenton and Goodrich are both pricey for either buying or renting a home. Though I suppose that is relative to what you are paying now, and what your potential income is. Both are in Genesee County, I think taxes are less here than Oakland County, just to the south.
Since you mentioned Fenton & Goodrich, a couple other "nicer" nearby towns to look into are Grand Blanc and Davison.

Last edited by chiroptera; 07-10-2006 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,674 times
Default If we move, Fenton or Grand Blanc area is probably a good choice.

Thanks for your feedback, we have some in-laws moving to Linden, and most of the area out there sounds pretty nice. The taxes are less and the housing cost is not too bad either. The daily commute to work will be an adjustment , but I think it would be worth it to live in that area. We still have alot of thinking to do, but thanks again for your replies.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM

9 posts, read 43,894 times
I grew up in Muskegon, but lived 3 years as an adult in Traverse City. I ended up back in Muskegon, because, even though Traverse City is a great place to live, nothing beats a Lake Michigan sunset. If considering a move to Michigan, you should plan a visit to the lakeshore to witness it's amazing beauty first-hand.

There are several cities along the shoreline that offer a good variety of industrial opportunities:
  • Muskegon
  • Whitehall
  • Ludington
  • Manistee
Not to mention those south of us....

Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Default From a former Michiganander.

I don't know if this will help, but I grew up in MI, and lived in Western NC for 5 years (less than 2 hrs from Greenville). I moved back North 7 years ago (this time to NYC). While I know the winters here aren't as severe at Traverse City, still I haven't had any problem adjusting. If you get out and enjoy the outdoors, then I think it will be like riding a bike.
And, being near family will be huge especially for your kids. As has been said to death, you have to look at the trade offs and see if it is worth it.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
i lived in traverse City for 3 years and am now in the greater detroit area (clawson). and i say traverse city is one of the most wonderful places to live and i hate it down here!

but then again, i'm from the U.P. ha!

well we are down here because of school, but i may not be going back to TC because i dont know where i will find work. my finacee can find work easily- he is in the construction business. TC is growing very much so new construction is always happening. i am in graphic design so there arent as many opportunites for me there.

just remember, people dont live in TC because they can make money there. they live there, take a paycut, because the quality of life is so much better. and thats also what makes the people of TC so nice and unique. so, i recommend it! good luck!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM

9 posts, read 43,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese
i lived in traverse City for 3 years and am now in the greater detroit area (clawson). and i say traverse city is one of the most wonderful places to live and i hate it down here!

but then again, i'm from the U.P. ha!

well we are down here because of school, but i may not be going back to TC because i dont know where i will find work. my finacee can find work easily- he is in the construction business. TC is growing very much so new construction is always happening. i am in graphic design so there arent as many opportunites for me there.

just remember, people dont live in TC because they can make money there. they live there, take a paycut, because the quality of life is so much better. and thats also what makes the people of TC so nice and unique. so, i recommend it! good luck!
I lived a block from the west bay for 3 years. Even though it is a beautiful view, it is no match for a sunset from the top of a Lake Michigan dune. The traffic in T.C. gets worse every year and in my opinion, a view of the bay is not worth a cut in pay.

As a graphic designer, you should be able to work from anywhere...there is plenty of web design work available, I can even put you in touch with some people that might be interested in your sevices. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
i still have to finish school- plus still havent taken my web classes yet. but thanks!

i've never been to muskegon or the western part of lower michigan- i'll have to experience one of those sunsets for myself someday!

regardless of sunsets (traverse bay has a beautiful sunrise IMO), TC is a beautiful little town with friendly people and lots of nature. Lake Orion is a beautiful place, too- so if you like it there you will probably like TC. but personally I would rather live in TC than anywhere else in Michigan because it has both the nature/seclusion and the most thriving central community of any other area in Northern Michigan. IMO, the people are friendlier the further north you go. plus the wineries and the peninsulas- so gorgeous! and the rolling hills makes for the best scenery- people in the TC area refer to the rest of lower michigan as flatlanders. and so many small lakes around! lets not forget torch lake, known nationally as being one of the most beautiful lakes in the US.

but thats just my take on things! as you can see i'm partial to TC

but OK, thats probably getting off topic... the original post asked if there were any thriving industries in TC. what do you do or what are you looking to get into? i might be able to tell you something.

Last edited by mariatherese; 08-12-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan