Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are doing for sale by owner. I have had several realtors take fliers and contact me. Some from the internet. I spoke with one yesterday and if I could punch him through the phone I would have. What a creep. He originally called acting like he was a potential buyer, then told me he was a realtor.I told him we had no interest in listing with him and he says, " if I bring you a buyer what will you pay me?"
He then called me back and tried to pry info out of me. I was going to hang up on him but I was in one of those moods. He started asking me why we don't want to list with him etc then starts making suggestions about how we should do a short sale. So I got a bit irritated and made it clear what I thought of him. This guy was not even phased. He acted like we were just having a good conversation and everything was hunky dory. Did he listen to anything I said? Please tell me they are not all this bad. I've heard all too often many of them are shady characters. What a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
It's a numbers game for the realtor.....you know the old saying about throwing spaghetti against the wall?...or how about the more times you strike out, the more hits you'll have?

It's part of what they are trained to do. Some do it more tactfully than others. And other sellers might look at his perserverance as just the trait they are looking for in an agent that will successfully market their home to a prospective buyer. While you, obviously find him/her to be an irritant. Different strokes is all......

IMHO, I'd bet you would find more realtors you could get along with, than the ones that will just totally p**s you off, like this one did.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
No they are not all like that. I used to think they were, but when we bought the house we are in now I found out otherwise. Living out of State at the time, it was much easier to deal with the paperwork and everything else through a local Realtor, and the lady we found was fantastic. She totally changed my opinion on Realtors. The inspection we had done was by a real dill-hole and one of the things he really knocked the house and price down was there was a little paint peeling on the back of the garage. She bought paint, went over to the house on Memorial Day, and scraped and painted the back of the garage herself so the a-hole wouldn't have anything to complain about.

No they are not all of the same caliber of the caller you dealt with, some are not only professional, but caring and genuinely nice as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,674 times
My happiest day in recent memory was when we got to be rid of Dipsy Doodle-- the pet name we gave to our PIA realtor.

She was rude and pushy and didn't seem to do her job well. She was always out of town.

And we had our house on the market for less than a week when she wanted us to drop the price $10,000. To her commission, that wasn't much of a cut, but to us it was a lot of money.

She also really pushed us toward a short sale. We had the money to make 2 mortgages, it just sucked that we had to. But why tank our credit when there was no need to?

I hope that you find a good one if you need one. But bravo for going it on your own for a bit!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
We have encountered simlar realtors and really nice honest realtros and in between realtors. THre is no way to generalize really.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 PM

211 posts, read 588,191 times
I've been a broker for twenty years and it's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of agents are either obnoxious, incompetent or ineffective. In all too many cases real estate is something people try because they have failed at something else and it takes very little training or education to become an agent. It's one of the reasons that the industry has such a high turnover and low standards. But every once in awhile you will find a pearl in the oyster.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:14 AM

6,575 posts, read 6,746,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
I've been a broker for twenty years and it's been my experience that the overwhelming majority of agents are either obnoxious, incompetent or ineffective. In all too many cases real estate is something people try because they have failed at something else and it takes very little training or education to become an agent. It's one of the reasons that the industry has such a high turnover and low standards. But every once in awhile you will find a pearl in the oyster.
I agree with you, but I think brokers are not quite as bad as you say, but close If you see any of the Seger brothers up there (Bob or George) say hi for me

Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,006 times
Ouch! I am a Realtor, I am not surprised at some of the negative things written. I however have learned over the years that in every job there are good and bad. I just choose not to put them all in the same bracket. My story began when I too had gotten the raw end of the deal in a real Estate transaction. We bought a house couldnt afford the home inspection, borrowed the down payment. The house turned out to be a lemon. This house took 6 years for us to recover. Rather than complain, I thought when life gives you lemons... MAKE LEMONAIDE! At the time I worked at the Post office delivering 640 house walking a day, for 6 years. I thought my knees were falling asleep turns out they were popping out of the sockets regularly so my husband suggested staying home and just being mom, which i had never done. He said when they go to school full time and if you want to go to work get into something that you want to do. And let me add, that directly out of High School in 1981 i went into the Military for 6 years. Along with the Post Office i sold cars for a short time, I loved Car sales, but I hated the CUT THROAT STYLE! So it was after my husband and i were put through our dilema with our home, that made me realize that i wanted to spare other buyers and sellers from dealing with the type of agent we had. And i have done just that over and over. great pride is what I have for myself as an agent, so I ask that when you share keep in mind that somewhere someone is thinking worse about you. So instead of being so down on the whole profession, cast the first stone. Never degrade someone, whether there is little training or alot of school, my thought is there is a job for everyone that you are destined to do. That would be like me as a parent saying to one of my "7" children, oh don't be a real estate agent they have little or no traing they are all deceitful.. What message are we sending. Maybe not a good person to be in the public view to have so many opinions so ugly. I will pray for you.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
Just to add a little update. We are still doing for sale by owner. I have had 3 other realtor's do the same thing. Even had one show up at my door with research in her hand. They all ask the same thing. Are you looking to do a short sale? That's the first questions. 2nd How did you come up with your price? Did someone tell you to list it for that amount? Also why are you trying to sell it yourself instead of hiring a professional. I've told them all the same thing. YOU CHARGE TOO MUCH. If by some miracle we got what we want for our home, we're going to pay $15,000 to sell it. Almost $8,000 going to the realtor. Uh I'm in no real hurry to sell and I have no desire to pay someone $8,000 to do what I am fully capable of doing. Sorry.
Thing that chap's my a$$ is the one that showed up at my door. She asked how we came up with the price. I told her my sister in law has a mortgage company and I have access to two appraisers who have looked up recent sales in our area. She then pulls out her so called comps and tries to compare our house only to the crap hole bank owned homes that have sold. Not the ones that really look as nice as our house. Only the crap houses, one that was a crap house sold for $138,000 and it did not have as big of a yard, a basement or even a garage. Yet when I pointed it out she made up some crap about how she knows because she has lived in the area so long and an appraiser not from this area is going to come in $25,000 less than what we have it up for.
Anyway I told my sister in law this and she about blew a gasket and said this woman was full of it with an sh in front. She then went on to explain that we are right on with our price and should have it up for $15,000 more than what we will take. She asked for the womans number because she wanted to ask her why she is trying to play her potential clients and get them to sell much lower than the house is worth even in todays market. She also wanted to question her BS about the appraiser lecture she gave me. My wife and her family have been in real estate in one way or another their entire life. I think I'll trust them over some stranger at my door.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
i would think the ones at the lower end of the earnings pool would be most likely chasing around after the for sale by owner properties. a large dog comes in most handy as a loyal pet and scaring those coming to your door that you dont seem to care for. i would take each of the overbearing realtors names and make a call to the managers of their offices, suggesting they not bother you again, as you have given a firm no. aggressive is one thing, rude, nasty and nosey is another. personally, ive found the very pushy realtors turn pple off that are looking to buy, as well. good luck selling your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan