Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:22 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times

Advertisements

Don't ask me why I am asking this because the reason is more strange than the question. I was wondering today about snow removal in the heavy snow area's. I know that the larger companies use heavy equipment and trucks to haul the snow away from large lots etc. But when it comes to residential snow removal or even small lots I'm thinking it has to get to a point where you have to run out of room for placement. With the little experience I have in lower Michigan stacking becomes an issue and beats the hell out of the equipment. I can't imagine what they have to do up there. Do the residential plowers just stack and deal with it? Do any companies offer blowing as opposed to plowing? Input, I need input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Load it up with a back-hoe and haul it away.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Really depends on the size driveway or lot being cleared and the area they have to push it. Some big lots like Meijer and Wal-Mart here don't have the snow hauled away at all because they have room to put it all winter. Others may have small lots, but no place to put it, so they push it a few times, then haul in a loader and stack it, then push some more, stack more, etc.... Others have almost no room and push once or twice and then have it hauled away. Never seen a residential driveway hauled though.

Used to live in Caribou, Maine and there they will plow the ENTIRE yard clear right from the first snowfall on residential drives. That way they figure they will have enough room to keep at least the driveway cleared by the later parts of winter. Last winter I lived there I did the same and was down to a single lane driveway by Feb, and had to have a giant blower come in and blow the banks back into 10' tall banks so I could get my work truck into the driveway. That place sucks for snow, because they NEVER get a warm day to melt any down during the winter.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM

271 posts, read 665,048 times
Quote:
Used to live in Caribou, Maine and there they will plow the ENTIRE yard clear right from the first snowfall on residential drives. That way they figure they will have enough room to keep at least the driveway cleared by the later parts of winter.
Yep, that's what I do when plowing my driveway. One winter I did have the whole push area fill up. But at least here, we usually get one or more thaws, usually one in January, and it gives some relief to push back the banks. Better do it then too, because when it refreezes it is hard as a rock.

As far as parking lots, many I see just push it all to a back corner and leave it. Since for most places there isn't as much business in the winter anyway, it works out.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Yooper boy checkin' in....

Snow compacts down to the earth as winter prolongs its nasty self.

So, when clearing driveways and such, we just piled it up where we usually "stashed " it.

Somewhat explains why we sometimes had snow in the front yard on Memorial Day....

That stuff can take forever to melt.

Oh.

Anyone ever put those orange bike flags on your vehicles?

So folks can see ya at those pesky intersections that were piled high with snow on each corner?

Ahhh....the good 'ole days.....

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
El Nino winds are supposed to cause a warmer drier winter for the Midwest. I won't miss roof shoveling and hiring a loader and a dump for removal. Yes, it does occasionally become necessary in a town location with small lots and shortage of parking. Street parking is not permitted in the winter. Here in the woods we can most always find some place to put snow.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Oh yeah, I remember the days all too well.

No parking on any street between 2:00am -6:00am during snow "emergencies".

Some places in da U.P.......

No parking on any street between Thanksgiving and Easter.....

Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
I live in the countryside in the northern U.P.
I didn't have a plow, a plow service, nor a snowthrower. Just myself, a couple shovels, and a scoop. This past winter I ended up building ramps (compacted pathways) over the old snow so I would have a place to put the new snow. It actually worked out pretty good and I started making it into an interesting art form by the end of February. My compacted "artwork" was still visible long after the rest of the snow melted. Yoopers start doing strange things for amusement towards the end of winter.
Someone must of felt sorry for me because I was given a dual stage Ariens snow thrower this past Spring..... I'm happy to have it altho I don't have a clue on what to do with it

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Not really sure what you mean by "stacking", but our residential plow guy makes very wide plows in the beginning of the winter, and keeps them as wide as he can as winter goes by, but they get narrower with each snowfall. He also keeps big areas clear that he pushes the snow into throughout the winter. Make sense? So there will be HUGE piles of snow in these areas, and "berms" on the sides.

Also, most folks here who are "professional plowers" have multiple beater trucks that they use just for plowing. You never see a plow on a new truck (unless the beater trucks are all down for repair).

Yes, big lots just pile it up, and for the main streets they use heavy equip to put it in dump trucks and haul it away every few weeks, or when needed.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 AM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
El Nino winds are supposed to cause a warmer drier winter for the Midwest. I won't miss roof shoveling and hiring a loader and a dump for removal. Yes, it does occasionally become necessary in a town location with small lots and shortage of parking. Street parking is not permitted in the winter. Here in the woods we can most always find some place to put snow.
Honestly, it depends on the intensity of El Nino. If it is a weak to moderate intensity El Nino winter temperatures are closer to average. If it is a strong episode temperatures are usually above average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: