Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times

Advertisements

inspired by the wasp thread, here's an article regarding our bee populations in michigan and other great lake states. basically people, if we don't have bees, we have no food, and if we have no food we have no people. although the cause is not known, pollution is suspected. something to think about, on top of the millions of other things to think about

Colony Collapse Disorder - Great Lakes Wiki (http://www.greatlakeswiki.org/index.php/Colony_Collapse_Disorder - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
"In China, where commercialized pollination is, there are many farms that have had to resort to the worst-case scenario: Hand Pollination. Farmhands go through orchards climbing trees, working one flower at a time."

Looking on the bright side - lots of new jobs, potentially, if CCD wipes out Michigan's honey bee population.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
inspired by the wasp thread, here's an article regarding our bee populations in michigan and other great lake states. basically people, if we don't have bees, we have no food, and if we have no food we have no people. although the cause is not known, pollution is suspected. something to think about, on top of the millions of other things to think about

Colony Collapse Disorder - Great Lakes Wiki (http://www.greatlakeswiki.org/index.php/Colony_Collapse_Disorder - broken link)

Where does it say that pollution is suspected? What I read is that the ran down all of the suspected causes and it turned out to be none of them, or some combnatoin of several possible impacts that they are nto able to test.

It seems to be concentrated aruond the great lakes. Apparently, it has something to do with the lakes. Is it happening in the south?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Where does it say that pollution is suspected? What I read is that the ran down all of the suspected causes and it turned out to be none of them, or some combnatoin of several possible impacts that they are nto able to test.

It seems to be concentrated aruond the great lakes. Apparently, it has something to do with the lakes. Is it happening in the south?
maybe that was in another article i read about it. may have gotten the articles confused. i'm SURE pollution and the ways of modern society have absolutely NOTHING to do with this, and affect NOTHING. i wouldn't dare make such a claim, because every action has an opposite or equal reaction, not.

if you get nothing from this thread then you don't have to read it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
It's not the Great Lakes - this is happening all over the world. I first read about it a few years ago.
Wikipedia isn't the most authoritative source but it's a start.
Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
"In China, where commercialized pollination is, there are many farms that have had to resort to the worst-case scenario: Hand Pollination. Farmhands go through orchards climbing trees, working one flower at a time."

Looking on the bright side - lots of new jobs, potentially, if CCD wipes out Michigan's honey bee population.
lol...sign me up:}

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's not the Great Lakes - this is happening all over the world. I first read about it a few years ago.
Wikipedia isn't the most authoritative source but it's a start.
Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i saw that too, there are tons of articles on this.....very interesting subject

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM

189 posts, read 522,451 times
Again... wikipedia, so take from it what you will:
Quote:
The cause or causes of the syndrome are not yet fully understood, although many authorities attribute the problem to biotic factors such as Varroa mites and insect diseases (i.e., pathogens including Nosema apis and Israel acute paralysis virus).Other proposed causes include environmental change-related stresses, malnutrition and pesticides (e.g. neonicotinoids such as imidacloprid), and migratory beekeeping. More speculative possibilities have included both cell phone radiation and genetically modified (GM) crops with pest control characteristics, though experts say no evidence exists for either assertion. It has also been suggested that it may be due to a combination of many factors and that no single factor is the cause.
Too early to tell yet, but Al Gore may be able to relax on this one.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
As a great man once said: Float like a lepidoptera, sting like a hymenoptera.........

Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
One thing I've noticed since the European honeybees started dying off is the large variety of other pollinators stepping into the breach. Part of this is surely global warming, because for 10 years I've been seeing strange new insects every single year; but I am happy seeing that there are plenty of pollinators out there and plenty of fruit being produced. Of course this continues to be lousy news for the honey industry, but I'm not seeing less honey on the store shelves, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan