Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,706 posts, read 14,106,750 times

Advertisements

I log on to the Detroit Snooze and my old local paper almost daily.

Not much winter weather news lately......

Anyone been ice fishin'?

Cross country skiing or just plain 'ole walkin' around?

Post your recent pics in the pic thread so I can enjoy.

Huge storm passed through recently here. Some folks got 3 ft of snow.

That's "up north" in the higher elevations of course. We got 4 inches of rain in our neck of the woods. Thank goodness the pool didn't overflow.

Baby crickets will be hatchin' soon and we all know what that means out here.

Black widows will be abundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,896,006 times
Snowfall this year has been abysmal. 2 decent winter storms and lots of days where it is just enough to make the roads slick and not much more. Yesterday I had mostly bare yard, but it snowed again last night and now there is about 2" out there. I went out with the camera today and took a few photos. Didn't even bring my boots, just wore a low set of hiking boots and called it good.

The boys have really been upset over the low snowfall so far, hard to get good sliding out to the dunes when there isn't a decent amount of snow. Granted, the dunes are steep enough that they take their sleds down them in the Summer, but it is cold, there is supposed to be snow, LOL.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,007,809 times
Terrible. Went to tip up town and couldn't ride. There was grass along 55. Houghton Lake looked bad. I could see weak spots in the ice, yet people still had their vehicles on the ice.

Gaylord isn't much better. Trails are pretty ****ty. Not a lot of good snow. Mostly melted and refroze crap.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Snowfall this year has been abysmal. 2 decent winter storms and lots of days where it is just enough to make the roads slick and not much more. Yesterday I had mostly bare yard, but it snowed again last night and now there is about 2" out there. I went out with the camera today and took a few photos. Didn't even bring my boots, just wore a low set of hiking boots and called it good.

The boys have really been upset over the low snowfall so far, hard to get good sliding out to the dunes when there isn't a decent amount of snow. Granted, the dunes are steep enough that they take their sleds down them in the Summer, but it is cold, there is supposed to be snow, LOL.

Sorry, I saw your other post on another thread after I created this one......

As a kid, snow is important. Some years are better than others. Surprising, considering where you live....

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Terrible. Went to tip up town and couldn't ride. There was grass along 55. Houghton Lake looked bad. I could see weak spots in the ice, yet people still had their vehicles on the ice.

Gaylord isn't much better. Trails are pretty ****ty. Not a lot of good snow. Mostly melted and refroze crap.

Any fishing success?

I'd never take my truck out on the ice.

I've been to the winter carnival there in HL.

Went for walleye and caught a bunch of hammerhandle pike everytime.

Some 'gills but nuthin' to write home about. Had great times on Saginaw Bay for perch. Cheboygan was decent. Typically though I just stayed at home and hit the neighborhood lakes.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,007,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Any fishing success?

I'd never take my truck out on the ice.

I've been to the winter carnival there in HL.

Went for walleye and caught a bunch of hammerhandle pike everytime.

Some 'gills but nuthin' to write home about. Had great times on Saginaw Bay for perch. Cheboygan was decent. Typically though I just stayed at home and hit the neighborhood lakes.

I'm not walking out onto a lake I can see water. I'm not Moses. Besides, I don't ice fish anyways.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I'm not walking out onto a lake I can see water. I'm not Moses. Besides, I don't ice fish anyways.
You're missing out...

I've ice fished on 8 inches and have tossed non keepers underhand to open water....it's not bad at all.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM

939 posts, read 2,684,065 times
Snow-wise, an anemic & pathetic winter thus far. A couple of weeks of good snows in mid-late December (sandwiched around a Christmas rain storm) and that's been it. Last year we had almost 160" IMBY so this season is quite a change. Even though the cold is here for now, I checked the wx models today (NAM, GS, Euro, etc.) and the next 2 weeks will continue to be pathetic snow-wise

Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Snow-wise, an anemic & pathetic winter thus far. A couple of weeks of good snows in mid-late December (sandwiched around a Christmas rain storm) and that's been it. Last year we had almost 160" IMBY so this season is quite a change. Even though the cold is here for now, I checked the wx models today (NAM, GS, Euro, etc.) and the next 2 weeks will continue to be pathetic snow-wise
What a trip cuz almost always TC would have snow on the ground Thanksgiving thru St. Patrick's day. Mesik is a place I'd like....

C'mon Yoopers.....check in.

I know there's a few of 'em on here, eh?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,678,356 times
The snow has been pathetic further to the east in NH this winter as well. I had 16'' in my backyard a day and a half ago, and now it is down to bare ground after 1.25'' of rain fell. The ski operators have to be pulling their hair out about now!!! Also, mild weather has been the rule. The coldest temp last season: -23F. The coldest so far this season: -2F!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan