Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,433 times

Advertisements

I read about earwigs a number of years ago . I believe they are a native of the South , but also seen up here alot . They really like woodchips I remember reading , so if you have woodchips in your flower beds that may attract them .
The photo above looks to me to be a mudpuppy (could be in the salamander family) Do you have a lake/stream nearby ? Last time I saw a mudpuppy is when I had a cabin on the lower straits lake on Union Lake Rd. & Richardson Rd. , the critter was just kinda hanging out around the outside of the cabin (probably looking for lunch lol) He musta snuck in a open door .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I had a MAJOR earwig problem at my first home that I purchased in Michigan.

Any bug killer with diazanon in it will kill those critters and keep 'em away. Spray it around all of the places that they might use to get in the house.

Doors, windows, etc.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
I read about earwigs a number of years ago . I believe they are a native of the South , but also seen up here alot . They really like woodchips I remember reading , so if you have woodchips in your flower beds that may attract them .
The photo above looks to me to be a mudpuppy (could be in the salamander family) Do you have a lake/stream nearby ? Last time I saw a mudpuppy is when I had a cabin on the lower straits lake on Union Lake Rd. & Richardson Rd. , the critter was just kinda hanging out around the outside of the cabin (probably looking for lunch lol) He musta snuck in a open door .
You had me doubting my previous research so I looked up mud puppy. We do have a pond across the street and mud puppies are in the salamander family. However they never leave the water because they retain their gills. The photo I took is of a Tiger Salamander. They are born in water but later leave and lose their gills to live on land. Well they actually burrow and live under the ground or stumps etc. I had a BIG ol sucker in my pool this morning, a good 8 or 9 inches long. Biggest one this year.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I had a MAJOR earwig problem at my first home that I purchased in Michigan.

Any bug killer with diazanon in it will kill those critters and keep 'em away. Spray it around all of the places that they might use to get in the house.

Doors, windows, etc.
Is that the same stuff that take care of Scorpions Yaz? hehehe

Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM

271 posts, read 665,048 times
I've never had a problem with them. When I was a kid I used to call them hook bugs or tree bugs, they used to hang out under the trees in the sandbox. I've never known them to bite or anything.

Now what really freaks me out are the 3" to 4" diameter wood spiders that would jump out from under things at night and click their feet as they run across the floor.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:13 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Is that the same stuff that take care of Scorpions Yaz? hehehe
No sir.

Scorpions need the heel of my boot or a blow torch.....

Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My father in law once found an earwig crawling around in his salad at Soupplantation. It did nto bother him much, but I was disgusted. The manager gave us some cupons for free meals which my father in law gave to me, but we gave them away. It was a while before we were interestd in eating at Soupplantation again. It was nto their fault, That can happen anywhere, but it is one disgusting bug and thinking of eating one by mistake kills your apetite.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,433 times
Since it's a Tiger Salamander , you should name him Gibby , bring him in when the ballgame is on . If you look at that picture , it looks like the little guy is smiling for the camera .

Now the big one , you may have to throw him a pork chop

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
Since it's a Tiger Salamander , you should name him Gibby , bring him in when the ballgame is on . If you look at that picture , it looks like the little guy is smiling for the camera .

Now the big one , you may have to throw him a pork chop
I should have posted the one I played around in photoshop with. I noticed it looked like he was smiling and looking like a metal head. So I made his little fingers longer and gave him a BIG smile.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
My son used to have salamanders as pets (and lizards, geckos, newts)...I don't see much difference from the chameleons we used to get at the circus when I was a kid. (I think it was the circus???) Many years ago!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: