Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Max 10 is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 106,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
Good Luck!! I am heading back to MI by June 2010 without or without a job! I was born, raised, and spent the first 30 years of my life there. Then I moved to FL for the beach life, lost my job, moved to Atlanta for work and absolutely HATE IT!! I am single with almost 3 years of living expenses saved up so I am not too worried about moving back to Michigan. Can't wait to be back HOME!!

I do not want to be in any other state! Don't let any of the negative people on here bring your spirits down. Positive thoughts equals positive results!! But you already sound positive and that is a great start!!

The state has so many great cities, lakes, trails, and anything outdoors...so explore and enjoy!!
I know what you mean! We moved to Florida from Nebraska and we miss home so much! We are headed to Michigan in about a month and a half as it's the closest we can get to Nebraska for now.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM

43 posts, read 99,398 times
well we are here, it is definitely different weather. Colder definitely. I love my house we got to rent though. I hope maybe we can afford to buy it. Now all the unpacking and I have so much stuff to get rid of, may take it to goodwill, a garage sale seems like so much trouble right now with trying to get everything "homey" before winter

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM

504 posts, read 2,176,040 times
Yea! Glad you made it. As a former Louisianian, I know that finding winter gear down there is all but impossible. I couldn't even find wool socks when I was living down there. You'll have no problem finding it here.

I probably shouldn't say it here, but yes, there is WAY too much pessimism. I know times are tough. Unemployment up here is incredibly high, but I think much of it stems from having things so good for so long. Yes, it's a sad thing, but it just doesn't help to complain about it all of the time! I still don't understand it.

That said, there are plenty of good people in this state. You just got to take complaints with a grain of salt. I still haven't seen poverty like I've seen down there. And most people up here have never been to the rural deep South. I've also seen plenty of migrant worker camps out West. Another thing you just don't see here. It's an incredibly rich state in many ways. I just think many folks here don't have the perspective to appreciate it. Sorry. Just my opinion.

I'm glad you're getting here for fall. It's SOOOOOO incredible! My favorite season. And I'm still loving snow after 3 years. I even love to shovel it. So there! I'll take cold and snow over hot and humid any day!

Oh, and the schools up here are SOOOO much better than in Louisiana. I hope you'll be as impressed as I am.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 PM

364 posts, read 877,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Yea! Glad you made it. As a former Louisianian, I know that finding winter gear down there is all but impossible. I couldn't even find wool socks when I was living down there. You'll have no problem finding it here.

I probably shouldn't say it here, but yes, there is WAY too much pessimism. I know times are tough. Unemployment up here is incredibly high, but I think much of it stems from having things so good for so long. Yes, it's a sad thing, but it just doesn't help to complain about it all of the time! I still don't understand it.

That said, there are plenty of good people in this state. You just got to take complaints with a grain of salt. I still haven't seen poverty like I've seen down there. And most people up here have never been to the rural deep South. I've also seen plenty of migrant worker camps out West. Another thing you just don't see here. It's an incredibly rich state in many ways. I just think many folks here don't have the perspective to appreciate it. Sorry. Just my opinion.

I'm glad you're getting here for fall. It's SOOOOOO incredible! My favorite season. And I'm still loving snow after 3 years. I even love to shovel it. So there! I'll take cold and snow over hot and humid any day!

Oh, and the schools up here are SOOOO much better than in Louisiana. I hope you'll be as impressed as I am.

Good luck!
I drove through parts of the rural deep south on the way to Myrtle Beach this past summer. I was so taken aback it isnt funny. It was actually sad seeing the poverty in parts of rural SC. Made me appreciate Michigan so much.

And Id like to add...Im a native Michigander, and for me the 4 seasons never get old. The cold weather may be a shock to the system at first, but fall and winter are beautiful seasons, and you will see plenty of warmth next summer. You will probably adapt in no time, keep us updated. Enjoy and welcome to Michigan!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM

43 posts, read 99,398 times
I do have to say I have seen poorer situations in the south. I said the other day that I think that this state has just been used to having it way better all the time. And clothes in Louisiana do not have to be warm lol. I did find milk here for 1.95 and was totally blown away. it is 4.00 back in Louisiana. lol and one of the things i took a picture of when we got to our house was the snow shovel in the garage.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Four dollars for milk? I though grocery prices were high here, but I guess not! Also, you're going to learn to love that snow shovel. You're gonna need it a lot this winter.

Welcome to Three Rivers!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
Not sure how much poorer the south can be than parts of the UP or parts of Detroit.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
What a coincidence. I moved from MI to AZ in 2005 for job reasons. I never cared for my job much but, to my relief, I got layed off last month with 400 other employees. I am relieved because I can consider moving back to the Midwest within maybe 6 months at most. I dont like AZ. Its oppressively hot for 5 months at a time. The people arent very friendly, from my experience. The only jobs that are in AZ are low-paying service jobs tied to the retail or hospitality industries. No industry to speak of. HORRID education (ranks 50th). Phoenix has horrible air. Its too dry. And there is no seasons. And AZ and many of its cities have high crime rates (caused by the large population of illegals). And AZ is pathetic in providing services to needy persons (it ranks 49th in unemployment benefits, and it may be easy to get a "job" here, but heaven help you if you lose it and need help from the state). All in all, AZ is nothing of what I thought it would be and my experience here has been very disappointing. Dont know if I'll move back to MI, but most of my fam lives in WI, so I will proabably move there. But Michigan isnt bad.....IF you can stand the cold. The economy will eventually turn around. Just my ten cents.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:33 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Not sure how much poorer the south can be than parts of the UP or parts of Detroit.
It can be a lot worse. I lived in Texas for a couple years and have/had family in rural Alabama, and Mississippi. The outward poverty in some areas was shocking, even for someone who also used to live in the UP and Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan