Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region in the U.S. is the best place to live?
Midwest 52 33.55%
West Coast 15 9.68%
East Coast 25 16.13%
Southwest 15 9.68%
South 48 30.97%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 115,583 times

Advertisements

Are you Jennifer Granholm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
I've been noticing lately that quite a lot of people have been leaving Michigan due to it's problems and many of them have been moving to the south: Georgia, North Carolina, Texas etc. Don't get me wrong, these are all fantastic places to live, and there's certainly a lot of economic growth there right now, but I just wanted to list a few problems that the south has of its own:

*Low High School Graduation Rates-

The eight states with the lowest graduation rates in the entire nation were all in the south. Here are the percentages of ninth graders in these states who graduated from high school:

South Carolina: 49.2%
Georgia: 53.6%
Florida: 55.7%
Tennessee: 56.7%
Alabama: 57.2%
Mississippi: 59.1%
Louisiana: 59.2%
North Carolina: 60.6%

Meanwhile, the high school graduation rate in Michigan was 71.5%, not the highest in the nation, but certianly higher than all of these states listed above.

*Large Percentage of Residents living in poverty:

A lot of states in the south also have poverty rates that are sky high, as listed below:

Mississippi: 18.2%
Kentucky: 15.6%
Alabama: 16.2%
Georgia: 13.1%
Arkansas: 15.6%
Louisiana: 17.3%
North Carolina: 14.4%
Texas: 16.5%

The poverty rate in Michigan was 12.2%, not perfect, but significantly lower than all of these.

*High Crime Rates:

Everyone know's that Detroit is quite dangerous. But the state of Michigan was not even in the top ten list for the most dangerous states in the country, which is listed below:

1. Nevada
2. New Mexico
3. Arizona
4. Maryland
5. Tennessee
6. South Carolina
7. Alaska
8. Florida
9. California
10. Louisiana

Michigan was number 11, but hey, it wasn't on the top 10

In conclusion, the message I wish to send is that no matter where you live, there will be problems. It's unavoidable, you just have to learn to deal with it. I'm not trying to say that the south is a bad region to live, I actually think it's very nice, I'm just saying that running away from your problems isn't always the right solution. So if you need to leave Michigan, fine. But please don't go whining to the rest of us about why you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Aaron View Post
sorry, but I lived in Texas for 8 years.....and no one that's not from Texas can sit there with a straight face and tell me that is a more desirable place to live than Michigan, aside from the weather reasons.
I moved from Michigan to Texas and I Totally disagree with your statement about Texas. I will give you only a Few reasons why Texas is so much better to live in than Michigan:

1. Cost of living/housing is So much lower in Texas. You can buy a really nice house in the area where I moved in for so much less money than in Michigan. And I am talking about a Brand new house, not a house from the 50's (which is what Michigan has for the average person).

2. The area that I move to has a much lower crime rate than Michigan. In Michigan, not only that Detroit is a Nightmare, but the suburbs have become the Same as Detroit. Whereas in the 80's the suburbs were nice and clean, now they are dirty, and vey Unsafe.

3. The growth that I have seen in Texas is not available in Michigan. Roads, new stores, companies are being built everywhere I go. In Michigan, you only see stores/factories being closed down and hear about people losing their jobs.

4. Customer service in Texas is wonderful. People are nice and pleasant in any store you visit, even if they do not make a lot of money. In Michigan -if you even ask a question in a store, you get a disgusted look and lack of interest. Try calling even the state government with any question, and you will find out about the rudeness of the people that answer the phones.

5. Family and close relationships -many people here in Texas are "transplants", but they are still very helpful and have the Texas "spirit". In Michigan, people are not friendly period.

6. Sports- you are correct, Michigan wins this one...All I heard about is Sports...all I remember is how bad the Lions are and how they need to change coaches. I am sorry...when you have young children that need to grow in a safe, nice area...sports is the last thing on one's mind. Sure, it is nice, but not a Priority.

I am not trying to put down Michigan, but I wanted to reply that the things you said about Texas are absolutely incorrect. If you want to move to Michigan, that is your choice. But please, do not try to tell others that the only thing that Texas has that is greater than Michigan is the weather.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 AM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
There are good and bad in every area. You have to go where the jobs are and where you are happy.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Default My two cents

Hello Y'all,

It's good to hear that everyone has different opinions about where they want to live and what's good for them. If the whole U.S. only liked one part of the country, then we would be in trouble!! In saying that, I think it's extremely wrong and downright rude the way some of the posters are describing most of the South! I was born/raised in Dallas, Tx, lived in Ohio for over a year, and now live in Nashville. I say the best way to experience another part of the country is to live there YOURSELF.. We can use stats and data all day long until our cheeks are red, but really that doesn't mean a hill of beans to people if they like an area.
Personally, I think there is no other state better than Texas, and will always think that way. But, I understand that there are some really neat parts of Northern states as well, not bad, just a different feel. After living in the south so long and then moving to the north, it was a culture shock but it was a wonderful learning experience!
Take care

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Default I agree

I agree. We can't all move to one area. However, as you said, there is no need to insult everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Hello Y'all,

It's good to hear that everyone has different opinions about where they want to live and what's good for them. If the whole U.S. only liked one part of the country, then we would be in trouble!! In saying that, I think it's extremely wrong and downright rude the way some of the posters are describing most of the South! I was born/raised in Dallas, Tx, lived in Ohio for over a year, and now live in Nashville. I say the best way to experience another part of the country is to live there YOURSELF.. We can use stats and data all day long until our cheeks are red, but really that doesn't mean a hill of beans to people if they like an area.
Personally, I think there is no other state better than Texas, and will always think that way. But, I understand that there are some really neat parts of Northern states as well, not bad, just a different feel. After living in the south so long and then moving to the north, it was a culture shock but it was a wonderful learning experience!
Take care

Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,414 times
Gabriella,
Hope y'all are getting enough rain down there!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,984 times
A lot of posts have been removed from this thread - on both sides of the argument. If you are unable to share your different opinions without insulting one another, this thread will be closed.
Thank you.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,105 times
Well, after reading this, I really have to believe in the old saying..."To each his (or her) own...)! Having lived in Texas for 3 years, and just north of Dallas in Oklahoma for 6, and now living in Michigan since last year, I couldn't disagree with the Texas lovers more! I still have tons of friends and family in TX and OK who love it there and wouldnt move if you paid them, so it obviously holds charm for many.

Me personally? Yuck. No more nasty, humid, hot-as-hell summers for me, thank you. No more fake-nice people saying hello to your face and gossiping behind your back, then saying "Don't mess with Texas" every 5 minutes. Double yuck.

I have obviously moved around a bit, and was born and pretty much raised in California, where I moved from to Michigan last year. Maybe it's because I'm from the West Coast and not the south, but compared to Cali, Michiganders seem very nice to me, and very plain spoken. No hypocritical bull, just saying what they mean.

It's all what your used to. To me, the cost of living here is NOTHING compared to Cali. Education outstrips Cali (and TX, I believe) by alot. The weather here is great, excluding February, LOL. The economy is bad, but I moved here with 3 job offers, so everyone's experience is different, I guess.

Gabriela said people aren't friendly, period. Sorry, but I disagree! Also, that..."In Michigan, not only that Detroit is a Nightmare, but the suburbs have become the Same as Detroit. Whereas in the 80's the suburbs were nice and clean, now they are dirty, and vey Unsafe." Um...I live in Royal Oak, 4 miles north of Detroit city limits...and this statement is extremely untrue. It is very safe and clean AND friendly where we live! We love it!

Again, I stress to each his or her own...variety is the spice of life! I leave you with these words...

"Dust bowl, Bible belt
Got more churches than trees
Raise me, praise me, couldn't save me
Couldn't keep me on my knees
Oh, boy, rave on down loop 289
That'll be the day you see me back
In this fool's paradise
Throwing stones from the top of your rock
Thinking no one can see
The secrets you hide behind
Your southern hospitality
On the strip the kids get lit
So they can have a real good time
Come Sunday they can just take their pick
From the crucifix skyline!"

Last edited by jeffncandace; 05-29-2007 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 77,441 times
I too am from Michigan, and in fact, the dreaded Detroit. I personally am leaving because there is no hope for me and my husband to purchase a "dream" home here and still be able to eat. We are both involved in the mortgage industry, with him being self employed. I can say from both professional and personal experience that the foreclosure rate here is very high and I speak with several customers daily who just can't afford to live here anymore. I recently visited Houston just because I could not believe that you could obtain a beautiful home for such reasonable prices. I absolutely loved it. The people were so friendly and the neighborhoods were gorgeous. Can anyone recommend a nice area? We have no school age children so that would not be a factor. We looked at Fresno, Spring and Humble and just want a nice, clean place to live and work. Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 AM

47 posts, read 134,314 times
North (Michigan) = low economy, high prices.
South (Athlanta) = low economy, low prices.

Prove/disprove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan