Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 AM

63 posts, read 280,239 times

Advertisements

We're still looking for our retirement town....We've been in Gaylord many times, but only passing through on the trip north. What can you tell me about what it's like to live in the Gaylord area??? How does the weather/snowfall compare to, say Manistee or East Tawas? Is this a somewhat conservative or blue collar area? Any thing at all about the area....good or bad would be soooo helpful. Since we'll be retired, jobs aren't an issue. Is this area growing a lot? We prefer lots of natural areas in a low crime area. An artsy town as a homebase would be ideal.
Thanks for any info!!
Hanne in Ohio (but not for long!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
I don't live in Gaylord, but I do live in Traverse City and get over to Gaylord now and then. I wouldn't call it an artsy town at all. If you're looking for an artsy town, TC would be your best bet in northern MI, or Petoskey.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I have found that there are a number of artsy towns that might be what we'd like. But I'd really like to hear more about Gaylord. If it fits the bill in other ways we could always drive to T.C., or elsewhere once in a while.
Thanks,
Hanne

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 114,989 times
Lived in Gaylord all my life and am now moving.
Here is the **** on Gaylord, it is mostly polock potato farmers, no joke, you will find that the catholic potato farmers think they still rule this podunk town.
People in gaylord think they are the cats meow of towns. It has tried to be a resort town and does have 4 golf cor. and two ski resorts.
But it is still a blue col, town. the biggest employer just closed down, Georgia pacific. the town lost 300 high quality jobs.
As far at shopping the town has come a long way with a Kohls,old navy,starbucks,homedepot,lows,super wal-mart. office max,and a few more.
When I was a kid we used to have to drive to traverse city to shop, but not now.
unless you golf,ski,icefish, there is nothing of an cultural nature to do.
In august there is a 4 day "farmfest" where the counter culture have a music festival in joburg, appx 20 miles away.
The down town of gaylord is nothing to go out of your way to see.
Gaylord tried to reinvent itself 30 years ago by saying it is the sister city to pontracina switzerland. any new buildings or remodels have to conform to the swiss bravarian type of store fronts, only normans behind the new advance thumbed his big "bent" nose at these restrictions and built a lime green unatractive front.
Gaylord is in the snow belt, and they get dumped on when the lake affect snow comes in.
If you love the snow gaylord is your place.
It is also the best time to buy as the housing market has collapsed in on itself. Not as bad as southern michigan but bad all the same.
there are many homes on the market and they are not moving well.
Vecant land was going for 5k an acre, but now 2k an acre is not moving.
I have 22 acres left of my 80 and have listed it at 1350 and acre.
If that is where you want to be rememeber to offer 30% less than asking price and if they dont go for it, walk next door and make an offer.
People are hurting so bad and many are loosing there homes, I just talked to pat lynch a good real estate agent at cold well banker gaylord and she said that there are so many older people who have to move south and can not sell there home, they are even going upside down, having to bring in 30 to 60k to sell there home.
But be prepared that you will not make any gain on your investment for many years.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Forgot is you like artsy towns here is a list that fits and much nicer towns and your investment will do better than gaylord, petoskey,Traverse city,charlivoix,elk rapids,boyn city[property tanked in boyn this year you can buy cheap] high end towns mission point and surrounding areas of TC.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:20 PM

Thanks, Adler2u for the great post. Gaylord came up on our radar when I learned that they have a district postal facility. Long story.....but I may consider attempting to transfer there. If I can't swing a transfer there or at other facilities (I'm not even sure I want to look into it...just on the list of possibilities) we'll be moving up to MI anyway, somewhere, since the spouse will be officially retired.
Thanks sooo much for the tips on buying property. I'm sorry to hear that locals are having such a terrible time, even though it may work to our advantage when we buy. We're not looking to make a buck investing in a property; for the first time we'll have the luxury of choosing where to live based on what we love---the out of doors. The spouse is from Michigan and has pined to move back for 30 years. We'll be looking for acreage, with or without a house.
I'll look into the cities you've suggested. We used to vacation near Traverse City many years ago but it got too civilized for us. It might be a nice "big city" to live an hour or so from. Do you know anything about the Mesick area? We checked it out last summer and put it on our list of possible areas.
Hanne in Ohio

Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM

dont know much about mesic, I thought is was a sub, of TC, If you are a hunter and fishing nut like me than try the wolverin , indian river area, nice big state land to use, I.E. Pigion river SF and Mackinaw SF. Pigion river sf has many lakes and everything is alowed from hunting to fishing and horse backing.
Property in wolverin area for acrage is going for a low of 1350 and ac to 2000 an ac. by the time you get here maybe lower.
I just saw a home near Traverse city on 40 acres 3500 SF home with 40x40 pole barn with river running through it for an asking of 329k I bet you could bust that down to 279 with out much trouble.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,188 times
Just read your comment about regional postal facility. If you are thinking of moving to Gaylord for potential work at the postal facility, be very wary! There is talk of this facility closing and moving to Saginaw or some other location down state. Our U.S. Rep is "working" on the situation. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 43,985 times
If they keep shutting down things in gaylord they may as well shut down the on off ramp of 75. nothing much to keep it going.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 18,312 times
Default scoop on gaylord

I have lived in the area for approximately 15 years. Gaylord was doing very well until about 3-5 years ago. A couple of major employers have shut down, and unemployment is about 10-15%. Housing market is depressed. Pretty area, if you can find employment with a good wage. Ex. health care. Any further info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan