Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,241 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into moving to Gaylord, and I am not able to find a lot about the job scene. If anyone could shed some light on that one, I would be greatfull. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 AM

622 posts, read 2,710,226 times
Well I have never lived in Gaylord, but am from the general area. Basically I wouldn't say northern Michigan has a "job scene." Or any kind of "scene" for that matter LOL (just kidding around). Unless you are talking about the hospitality industry (tourism). Northern Michigan is just a string of very small towns that usually depend on the tourism of those in the lower part of the state, meaning that summer is peak earning time, and winters can be harsh. It is not as industrial as lower Michigan or Ohio, so factory jobs aren't as easy to find. I do not know of any reputable hospital in the area (I always hear of Munson in Traverse City and Northern in Petoskey), so I don't imagine there are a lot of healthcare positions in Gaylord.

Sorry I can't offer you more specific information. Just going on my general impression of the area. All I know is that I stop for gas in Gaylord a lot when I make trips up north, and when I used to live up north, I sometimes drove to Gaylord for shopping.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,924 times
I agree with mariatherese here. The northern Michigan is not known as a job haven. You can find work as a retail worker or work in the hotel industry.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:25 PM

153 posts, read 711,604 times
I'm on board as well.

Michigan in general isn't known for it's job scene Especially with the Michigan Economy the way it is at the moment.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,226 times
Though overall the jobs situation in Michigan isn't great, there may be hope, depending on what you do. It's just hard to answer questions this way- any specific industry you want to know about?

Last edited by mariatherese; 10-17-2006 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-30-2006, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,020 times
Default Employment in Gaylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm1122 View Post
My wife and I are looking into moving to Gaylord, and I am not able to find a lot about the job scene. If anyone could shed some light on that one, I would be greatfull. Thanks
Hi!
Not sure what you are looking for in terms of the type of employment you are looking for but would suggest you look into getting the Gaylord Herald Times newspaper - jobs are growing here. You can also go on-line and see the paper - it comes out on Weds and Sat.

We're getting more stores and industry moving into the area. Not sure why people who don't live here feel they can give you such negative advise. But, it's like anything else, if you have the desire and willingness, you can find a way. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,174 times
Default gaylords becoming a bigger city everyday

there are lots of jobs here he never told us what kind of work he is looking for there are lots of jobs here and what over 30,000 people here in gaylord. lots of jobs u just have to look and this is a great town to raise kids in. gaylord rocks

Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,197 times
What 30,000 people? And what great jobs? Gaylord has taken a big ole crap as far as jobs go. The only jobs available are minimum wage service jobs. Nothing against people who WANT to work minimum wage service jobs, but, with the Gaylord cost of living, you would need to have two people working two jobs each to make ends meet. Unless of course you don't mind living in one of the many, many slum lord rentals.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 44,007 times
Moe is totaly wrong, I was born and raised in gaylord and left 6 months ago. first of all gaylord has some 3700 people as of 2006. Not any where near 30,000. the biggest employment has went out of business. Georga pacific went out and took with it 300+ of the best jobs. the housing industry is the worst in the state and there are some 600 units for sale as I type.
several of the smaller factorys have went out like Kbite and others.
the few left are on the edge of leaving.
Tourisim is very bad for the past two years.
The people that are coming are not spending $.
If you move to gaylord you need to have an income apart from a JOB.
Dont look for things to change anytime soon.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 PM

265 posts, read 814,353 times
You might want to check out the Michigan Talent Bank web site and do a search of the job listings for Gaylord. I have done this and haven't found much. I don't know what your wage requirements are, but I agree with the other post in that most jobs are tourism related, so wages are low, and the jobs seldom have benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan