Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times

Advertisements

Ford outsells GM for first time in over a decade; both gain on Toyota losses
By The Associated Press
March 02, 2010, 12:19PM

chevy-hhr-ren-cen.jpgAP File Photoa Chevrolet HHR SS sits on display in the Renaissance Center in which General Motors has its headquarters in Detroit. General Motors Co. says its February sales rose 11.5 percent compared with the same month last year thanks to new models and pent-up demand from rental car companies and other fleet buyers.Ford posted a 43 percent jump in February U.S. auto sales and outsold General Motors for the first time in nearly a dozen years as it grabbed sales from struggling Toyota.

Ford Motor Co.'s sales surged thanks to strong demand for its cars and because it was able to grab some sales from Toyota Motor Corp., whose sales fell 9 percent due to a massive safety recall. Ford sold 334 more cars than GM in the U.S. for the first time since August 1998, when GM was in the midst of a strike.

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...up_115_pe.html

I'm speechless. I knew Ford's reputation was on the rise, but wow. I've even been thinking that maybe we'd look at a Ford for our next vehicle (own a Nissan and Honda right now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM

50 posts, read 140,438 times
Aside from a high debt load, Ford seems to be in a good place right now. I've never owned one myself but I'd definitely consider it. I had a Ford Fusion as a rental car last summer and I loved it. I'm holding Ford stock that I purchased a year ago at $1.94...too bad I didn't buy more

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Fords products look very nice these days, and they didnt take the goverment money. I just paid off my car and Im not looking for a payment anytime soon, but if I was going to buy it woujld be a Ford. I like GM, and have owned them all my life, but until the goverment gets out of GM I want nothing to do with them. No goverment moters for me.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM

137 posts, read 331,768 times
Good for Ford. I have many friends who will not purchase a vehicle from either one of the companies that yahoo in DC took over. It appears that there are many who feel the same based on the surge of sales for FoMoCo.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,693 times
People are aware Ford did get government secured loans correct?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
The best vehicle I ever had was a 2001 Ford Windstar minivan. I now drive a Dodge Grand Caravan because I didn't care for the Freestar minivan that Ford made when we traded in our Windstar in 2006, plus, Ford wouldn't work with us on the price. The Dodge is okay, but I would take my Ford back in a heartbeat. My next car will be a Ford product. I'm glad they're doing so well. It's a far cry from the crap they were making back in the '70s, lol. Maverick, anyone? In all fairness though, most cars in the '70s were pieces of crap, regardless of who made them, domestic or foreign.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,693 times
I'm picking up a 2011 Ford Edge with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine when they become available. I'll finally get rid of the 98 Grand Am

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Don't tell the tea-baggers that. Shhhh.

Does Ford still make a minivan? I went through the Ford section at the auto show and didn't see one.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Don't tell the tea-baggers that. Shhhh.

Does Ford still make a minivan? I went through the Ford section at the auto show and didn't see one.
I don't think they do. I went to the show too and I didn't see one either. It's weird, because when Ford came out with their first minivan, the Aerostar, it was very popular, as was the Windstar that followed when they stopped making the Aerostar. Then, when they stopped making the Windstar and started making the Freestar, you never even saw one on the road. And I live in SE MI, which is major Ford ownership country. I did test drive a Freestar when we wanted to trade in our Windstar, and I found it to be very uncomfortable to sit in. It seemed like they cheapened the product a lot when they switched over to the Freestar. However, I totally love most of the products that Ford is making now and don't doubt their quality whatsoever.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM

137 posts, read 331,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post

Yep, but a thug didn't fire their CEO, put in place a czar and split ownership between the feds and the UAW. Sure, they all got loans, but two of the companies could now be told the type of product line they will attempt to sell and could also be held hostage by the UAW if their demands are not met. After all, they are now the part owners. I think people are pretty much fed up with this total mess in DC and will not support it when buying a new vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: