Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:30 PM

204 posts, read 617,791 times

Advertisements

Recently retired, former backpacker/tent campers, we're thinking about getting a small travel trailer. One of the big reservations we have is not knowing how available campsites are in the summer. We don't need full amenity campgrounds, and are flexible in that regard. Ideally, a quiet natural setting would be just the right thing.

We're primarily interested in camping in the northern lower peninsula and upper peninsula, and would like to know how hard it is to just have a loose itinerary, going around without reservations, and expecting to land a campsite.

It looks like there are a lot of campground options in Michigan, on both state and federal lands. For those of you who have been at this for a while....how do you manage/plan your campground stays? We've always been non-planning types and would love to find out we could still just hit the road with no plan .

I'd love to hear from seasoned campers about what we might expect. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
Recently retired, former backpacker/tent campers, we're thinking about getting a small travel trailer. One of the big reservations we have is not knowing how available campsites are in the summer. We don't need full amenity campgrounds, and are flexible in that regard. Ideally, a quiet natural setting would be just the right thing.

We're primarily interested in camping in the northern lower peninsula and upper peninsula, and would like to know how hard it is to just have a loose itinerary, going around without reservations, and expecting to land a campsite.

It looks like there are a lot of campground options in Michigan, on both state and federal lands. For those of you who have been at this for a while....how do you manage/plan your campground stays? We've always been non-planning types and would love to find out we could still just hit the road with no plan .

I'd love to hear from seasoned campers about what we might expect. Thanks!!!!
We usually camp at State Park campsites because they are usually pretty well kept. We just made our 6th reservation for this year, and almost all sites we looked at are over three quarters to fully booked. Of course it depends on the size of your Travel Trailer, ours is a 35' and usually the bigger sites are taken first. I believe this year will be busier then last year because people are staying closer, and more people will be camping this year. I would go to the DNR website and check out all the campgrounds and make reservations. If you dont care too much for the nicer campgrounds you may be ok just winging it, but sometimes thats not the best idea. As far as the U.P, I would definitely make reservations now! If you need a few ideas on some campgrounds just let me know.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
I have a 28' trailer and I usually make reservations as well. If you are going in during the week, you may be able to get in without reservations. Some popular state parks however are almost impossible to get into. Some are much easier. Last year Muskallunge in the UP had plenty of available sites. Dont forget private campgrounds, there are lots of those too. If you dont want full hookup and can live with just 30 amp electric service you will have an easier time. If you can run off a generator and get into a primitive site, then you can probably travel without reservations. Michmoldman is right however, if you know when your going its best to make reservations now.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have a 28' trailer and I usually make reservations as well. If you are going in during the week, you may be able to get in without reservations. Some popular state parks however are almost impossible to get into. Some are much easier. Last year Muskallunge in the UP had plenty of available sites. Dont forget private campgrounds, there are lots of those too. If you dont want full hookup and can live with just 30 amp electric service you will have an easier time. If you can run off a generator and get into a primitive site, then you can probably travel without reservations. Michmoldman is right however, if you know when your going its best to make reservations now.
We also went to Muskallunge last year. We had a site right on the lake...it rained almost every day, and barely got above 50 degrees the whole week..in July!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
We also went to Muskallunge last year. We had a site right on the lake...it rained almost every day, and barely got above 50 degrees the whole week..in July!
July was terrible anywhere in Michigan.

My wife and I have done a bunch of camping in the past and would make reservations ahead of time whenever possible. Sometimes we would secure one favorite place and then go from there if we so choosed. We sold our motorhome so havent done much camping since.

Me....I like to backpack and Jeeppack. Pull the backseat on my jeep and toss the backpack in and go to the UP in the wilderness campgrounds. Now that's a bit of an adventure if you've been to the more remote campgrounds.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
July was terrible anywhere in Michigan.

My wife and I have done a bunch of camping in the past and would make reservations ahead of time whenever possible. Sometimes we would secure one favorite place and then go from there if we so choosed. We sold our motorhome so havent done much camping since.

Me....I like to backpack and Jeeppack. Pull the backseat on my jeep and toss the backpack in and go to the UP in the wilderness campgrounds. Now that's a bit of an adventure if you've been to the more remote campgrounds.
See, now thats my thing. I would love to be as remote as possible...I hate people 10 feet on either side of me it makes me feel like I'm in a trailer park. When the kids are older, we will be doing more rustic camping for sure.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post

I was up there in Aug, we didnt have too many problems. I camped several places in july in lower mi, and yes lots of rain. That was a bad month. Hoping for a good camping season this year.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I was up there in Aug, we didnt have too many problems. I camped several places in july in lower mi, and yes lots of rain. That was a bad month. Hoping for a good camping season this year.
I have a feeling its gonna be a beautiful Michigan summer!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I don't think Michigan is real great for spontaneous camping - I've heard you pretty much have to make reservations well ahead of time for most of the campgrounds.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 AM

204 posts, read 617,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think Michigan is real great for spontaneous camping - I've heard you pretty much have to make reservations well ahead of time for most of the campgrounds.
That's what we're trying to find out. A lot has changed since our former camping days (25+ years ago ).

Are there any types of campgrounds that tend to have lower usage? That are maybe less likely to be filled? I'm thinking perhaps state forests, national forests, or ???? I'd imagine the big state park campgrounds are going to be really popular.

We stayed a week at Burt Lake a few years ago for a big family gathering. Our first experience with that sort of campground (remember, we're former backpackers/tenters), we were in shock when we pulled in and saw the mass of humanity . Credit is due the park employees, however, because the place was well run and quieter than we expected.

We're considering this type of camping for a couple of reasons.....we'd like to visit areas under consideration for a possible move/home purchase. And we'd like to haul our toys (bikes, kayaks) and have a base to pursue outdoor activities.

I'd hate to shell out $$$ for a camper and find myself in a WalMart parking lot all summer because I didn't reserve anything in the off season. Hmmmm.

The comments are very helpful. Keep 'em coming !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan