Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,953 times

Advertisements

The only ones I know of are Baker and Center for Creative Studies. CCS is way out of my league price wise, and Baker seems to be thought of as a degree mill.

Are there any other colleges in MI that offer a 4 yr degree in Graphic Design...? I know Oakland university has a 4 yr degree in studio art with a *concentration* in graphic design, but I already have an associate's in it, and I'd like to have a degree that focuses only on graphic design and not have graphic design be some minor aspect of it.

Can anyone give me a helping hand? Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,275 times
Lawrence Tech is a respectable college located in Southfield I believe , not sure about prices.

Lawrence Tech - Academics and Majors

Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Thanks! I think they're pretty expensive... but it's good to see another option out there.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
since it's my alma mater i will promote Western they offer a 4year degree:

Program: Graphic Design Major - Bachelor of Fine Arts (85 hours) - Western Michigan University - acalog ACMSâ„¢

Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
GVSU offers Graphic Design as a major as part of their BFA degree program.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks guys! Will check them out!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Western (my alma mater) does have a great Graphic Design program.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleD23 View Post
The only ones I know of are Baker and Center for Creative Studies. CCS is way out of my league price wise, and Baker seems to be thought of as a degree mill.

Are there any other colleges in MI that offer a 4 yr degree in Graphic Design...? I know Oakland university has a 4 yr degree in studio art with a *concentration* in graphic design, but I already have an associate's in it, and I'd like to have a degree that focuses only on graphic design and not have graphic design be some minor aspect of it.

Can anyone give me a helping hand? Please?
Well I can throw my two cents in about Baker if you care to read on.

I am finishing my Associates at Baker in "design". I say this loosely because well its really in my eyes not a design degree. Baker has many programs but the end result is either an Associates in Business or an Associates in Applied Science. Its a business school even though they try to portray themselves as an all around type college. I had attended a couple of community colleges in the area and was not happy with how I was treated. Baker was different. They were professional, extremely helpful and small (now its not, its huge and I think the quality has suffered) I originally inquired about their Interior Design program and the counselor I met talked me out of it. She said the field was over saturated and graphic design was "big". I knew little about design in that area but what I was told about it, I was intrigued. About midway through the program I started to realize that their graphics "program" was struggling. So then I realized that the counselor was just trying to get more students into it. All of the printed materials Baker uses do not come from the students. They out source it and this completely frustrated my instructor. She was a Lawrence Tech grad and most colleges use their own students and programs to complete tasks at the school. Its great experience for the students and basically saves the college money. She fought hard and the school let us do one ad for the school on ID's. I never actually seen the work materialize though and I wonder if it was ever used.

They were slow on upgrading the software. When I was in my last design course CS3 had come out and the school was not planning on the upgrade because so few students were enrolled in the program they did not want to "waste" the money. We had a run of the mill printer in class that constantly broke down or didnt print correctly. They blew through the print class so fast I still really have no idea on how to get things printed from a real print shop. I do not feel confident in my skills even though I have been told I am quite good. Well it dont mean a thing if you cant print it. Graphic design is an art and Baker does not treat it this way. They focus a lot on the business aspect. Marketing..marketing..marketing.

My husband got a transfer out of state and I had to move. I thought I was done, a waste of loans etc but my dean insisted I could finish on line. I had taken all the required on campus courses. But now that I live hundreds of miles away, I get jerked around a lot. I am 2 classes away from graduating but its been a battle. I was already told I am on my own finding an internship. A requirement for me to graduate. Well unfortunately I now live in a place where graphic design is not really a need so this is going to be difficult. The last time I called Baker about an issue, I was told the graphics program was dropped. They are now focusing on the web stuff. If I take a break at all ( I dont plan too) I will have to change my program to their newest one which means another year of schooling. Screw that. I would double check to see if Baker even has the bachelors program anymore. Baker is expensive and I feel ill that I have so much money wrapped up in an Associates Degree. Also, I never touched CS3 and now CS4 is out. So I kind of feel like I am about to graduate with outdated skills. It could be my insecurities taking hold but well...I am just not all that happy with Baker. I think Baker is good for people that are already in their chosen fields and want to bump up their educations for pay raises or job security.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM

103 posts, read 344,696 times
I was in the Graphic Design program for a bit at Western. It's a great school - the whole Art school is pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan