Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM

115 posts, read 301,825 times

Advertisements

Is there any creature meaner than these worthless things?

I had many-a times in Michigan woods ruined because of these vicious, rotten creatures. As I'm sure many of you know, deer flies love to buzz the head and then dive-bomb into one's sweaty scalp and rip-out portions. You can cripple them with a swat and they'll drop to the ground and you can actually hear the anger in 'em as they try to recover and pick up where they left off.

Michigan's humid woods in the summer are full of strange, awful biting bugs, but deer flies, without a doubt, are the kings of misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 03:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrometheus View Post

I had many-a times in Michigan woods ruined because of these vicious, rotten creatures. As I'm sure many of you know, deer flies love to buzz the head and then dive-bomb into one's sweaty scalp and rip-out portions. You can cripple them with a swat and they'll drop to the ground and you can actually hear the anger in 'em as they try to recover and pick up where they left off.

Michigan's humid woods in the summer are full of strange, awful biting bugs, but deer flies, without a doubt, are the kings of misery.
Oh, yes....the B-52's........

Old 03-27-2010, 05:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Yes they are nasty! I wear a hat and spray the heck out of it! Personally I think skeeters are worse.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
I take special joy in doing a quick turnaround to catch them hovering up behind my head. They rarely come around front where you can see them. Dastardly little devils.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:

I used to think Michigan Deer Flies were bad, real bad. Until I lived in Northern Maine for years. There I learned about the niceties of the dreaded black fly. I'm not talking about the piddly amount we get here in MI, not even in the UP comes close. I'm talking about swarms so bad they crawl in your nose, ears, mouth and eyes. Swarms so bad they will drive Moose and other wildlife out of the woods. After moving back to Michigan I have yet to feel the need to buy bug repellent. Walking through the woods I laugh at others who are swatting away and complaining, they don't even bother me anymore.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:

Plus you gotta admit...it feels so good when you kill the little devils!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Yes they are nasty! I wear a hat and spray the heck out of it! Personally I think skeeters are worse.

Yup; skeeters ARE bad. And you might be right about them being worse ... just due to the fact that their numbers are so great.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I used to think Michigan Deer Flies were bad, real bad. Until I lived in Northern Maine for years. There I learned about the niceties of the dreaded black fly. I'm not talking about the piddly amount we get here in MI, not even in the UP comes close. I'm talking about swarms so bad they crawl in your nose, ears, mouth and eyes. Swarms so bad they will drive Moose and other wildlife out of the woods. After moving back to Michigan I have yet to feel the need to buy bug repellent. Walking through the woods I laugh at others who are swatting away and complaining, they don't even bother me anymore.
Wow. I will make it a point to never buy a house in Northern Maine, or reincarnate there, now that I know.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:46 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Wow. I will make it a point to never buy a house in Northern Maine, or reincarnate there, now that I know.
Worst part is that they bite like deer flies as well. What a joy those little bastards... I mean, black flies are are. They are so bad that they run a website every year showing how bad they are in different parts of the state.

As sad as it sounds, I am glad to be back in MI with only our tiny amount of mosquitoes and deer flies to deal with.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,383 times
Up here in the northern lower we are having a moderate drought. The good side of it is less mosquitoes than last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan