Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,214 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is definitely a vague question, and I can't be more specific, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me there best answer. I wanna know if Michigan has any demand at all for people to work in this field. I have been looking up a lot of stuff and yes I know the economy is horrible all over the state right now, but how is it for this field? I have read some kinda contradictory stuff and I wanna get perspective from someone currently working in this field or someone looking for a job. Yes I know this is vague at best, but any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM

222 posts, read 811,266 times
Default Yes, but

Even with things as bad as they are, there are always jobs for systems/network people. Even the State is hiring these types of jobs.

However, what I hear from the tech people I know is that there is also fierce competition for these jobs as the market shrinks in Michigan.

If you already lived in the state I would assume you would already know that. Because you don't seem to, I will assume you currently live somewhere else and will give you the same advice most members of this forum would: don't move here without a job.

Get a job first, then move.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,724 times
Wherever you live , here's a US Government site with job listings
USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 AM

864 posts, read 1,721,522 times
Networking demand will require a mid to large-sized company. Small companies will have IT people (or 1 person) that do everything -- not just networking. So not much demand except in the larger cities. It's also one of those professions that nobody will hire you unless you have a proven track record. You generally need Cisco certifications (since that's the dominant networking hardware vendor) and preferably experience/certifications at the server level (Microsoft, Novell, Linux, etc). And most of the time some level of knowledge regarding security/firewall products. Corporate needs vary and the more you know the better chance you have at a job.

The trend seems to be more and more contract jobs rather than full-time employment. Large companies are also replacing American workers with foreign H1B workers. They work cheaper and will claim experience in everything that an employer wants since verification is very difficult.

MI has networking jobs but probably at a rate relative to the unemployment rate meaning there are better places to look. Check out Dice.com and start searching by state.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feklhr View Post
Ok, this is definitely a vague question, and I can't be more specific, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me there best answer. I wanna know if Michigan has any demand at all for people to work in this field. I have been looking up a lot of stuff and yes I know the economy is horrible all over the state right now, but how is it for this field? I have read some kinda contradictory stuff and I wanna get perspective from someone currently working in this field or someone looking for a job. Yes I know this is vague at best, but any info would help.
Having lived in Michigan in the past and still having friends there...You are pretty much in the ONLY field that you have any somewhat decent chance of finding a job in...in Michigan. With that being said, you are insane to move to MI w/o a job already lined up, unless of course you have other means to survive a long time while you wait to find a job.

Your employment opportunities are much greater everywhere else. Even most of the big companies that still have big operations in MI, there is always a good chance that as they continue to look for ways to make more money, there MI operations are usually at the very top of the pecking order when it comes to them deciding where to close shop. MI is generally very unfriendly to business and typically even when they have a golden goose staring them in the face, the MI leaders tend to find a way to ruin it.

So it really depends your situation. You have a family and your looking long-term life, security, and comfort...STAY AWAY...Your single, have some financial security already, don't care if you might have to pack up and relocate in the near future...then go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan