Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,629 times

Advertisements

Michigan lawmaker plans Arizona-like immigration bill | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100509/NEWS15/100509033/1001/rss01 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Michigan is one of the least multi-cultural states in the country...in relation to how large the population is that resides there.

I'm in favor of the AZ one...mostly because the Mexican population there is enormous. It is an obvious problem in that state.

In Michigan however...where nearly everyone you see is almost always all white...or you go into a MI city and it is nearly all black....and few if anything else besides those two, then what is the point? I consider it fortunate when I see a non black/non white person that even visits MI...let alone decide to call it home.

For the MI police to go around and harass what few non-white/non-black people who do decide to go to MI....just seems....in one word, awful.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Michigan is one of the least multi-cultural states in the country...in relation to how large the population is that resides there.

I'm in favor of the AZ one...mostly because the Mexican population there is enormous. It is an obvious problem in that state.

In Michigan however...where nearly everyone you see is almost always all white...or you go into a MI city and it is nearly all black....and few if anything else besides those two, then what is the point? I consider it fortunate when I see a non black/non white person that even visits MI...let alone decide to call it home.

For the MI police to go around and harass what few non-white/non-black people who do decide to go to MI....just seems....in one word, awful.
It is??? I didn't find that to be true. In a city like Grand Rapids for example, you meet people whose ethnic heritage is from all over -- Polish, Greek, Italian, Dutch, American blacks, immigrants from Africa, Asians from every Asian country, hispanics from every hispanic country.

Some cities of the SW are not at all culturally diverse. The Mexican culture dominates completely or it's Mexican and whites and almost nothing else.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It is??? I didn't find that to be true. In a city like Grand Rapids for example, you meet people whose ethnic heritage is from all over -- Polish, Greek, Italian, Dutch, American blacks, immigrants from Africa, Asians from every Asian country, hispanics from every hispanic country.
Ahmm..okay. Well, in keeping with the spirit of this thread. Are you saying you are having problems with these people...and need to get them out of GR? Are you getting sick of hearing Greek and Italian speakers all over GR? Are you losing your english to 'american blacks' and need them deported?

Or....are you just claiming that non-british white european people once came to MI too...and that the same latino/asian that are in every city all across america are also in GR?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Ahmm..okay. Well, in keeping with the spirit of this thread. Are you saying you are having problems with these people...and need to get them out of GR? Are you getting sick of hearing Greek and Italian speakers all over GR? Are you losing your english to 'american blacks' and need them deported?

Or....are you just claiming that non-british white european people once came to MI too...and that the same latino/asian that are in every city all across america are also in GR?
No -- just saying. For all of you who want so much "diversity" but pretend you can't see it in a city like GR, don't expect to find diversity in cities that are 90% Mexican -- because that is hardly diversity.

It's about people being here illegally. There are immigration laws in place but are obviously not at all enforced. If people of a state want any enforcement of those laws, they're going to have to have it done at the state level. I'm not in Michigan any more so it's not my problem.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 AM

137 posts, read 331,839 times
Quote:

It is a problem here in MI too. If you are here illegally, GTFO! Police cannot go around harassing you by looks, BUT, if you do get pulled over or are asked to show ID, you better have it. I have to show my drivers license every time I charge something, write a check, buy alcohol or are asked by police. Have you re-entered the country from Windsor lately? PIA. Why should a person who looks like Mexican (or Middle Eastern) heritage, get different or special treatment? All states need to do this immediately and Washington should stop playing politics with amnesty promises for future votes. That is crap.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Plus I can't see the need for thousands of illegals going to a state where unemployment is so high. It's up to the taxpayers I think - if they want to provide for a whole lot of newcomers who choose to break the laws and usually obtain stolen IDs and stolen social security numbers and also have many needs that must be filled by government programs, then fine with me. Arizona's unemployment rates are high but lower than Michigan's -- but I think the crime problem - the fact that Phoenix is now the kidnapping capital of the world second only to Mexico City that motivates the Arizona law more than anything. People are getting fed up watching foreign criminals here illegally do whatever they please.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
BUT, if you do get pulled over or are asked to show ID, you better have it.
This is already a law. I'm nearly 40 myself, and its been on the law books AT LEAST since I was 16...if not much, much longer.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 AM

137 posts, read 331,839 times
I understand what you're saying. My point is if I get pulled over or are asked to show ID, why is it not OK to do the same to someone who looks Mexican? Police can use any excuse they want to pull me over at any time- tail light, swerve, lane use, etc. Why the double standard? Maybe if the heat was turned up a little bit, people would be less motivated to sneak across the borders.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Plus I can't see the need for thousands of illegals going to a state where unemployment is so high. It's up to the taxpayers I think - if they want to provide for a whole lot of newcomers who choose to break the laws and usually obtain stolen IDs and stolen social security numbers and also have many needs that must be filled by government programs, then fine with me. Arizona's unemployment rates are high but lower than Michigan's -- but I think the crime problem - the fact that Phoenix is now the kidnapping capital of the world second only to Mexico City that motivates the Arizona law more than anything. People are getting fed up watching foreign criminals here illegally do whatever they please.
The ARIZONA makes 100% sense to me. Anyone who has been to Arizona, and I have many times, sees a very very large large 'potential illegal' presense/issue.

When I'm in MICHIGAN...and I am a lot....I just see a whole lot of WHITE people all over the place...regardless if their great-grandparents were Dutch or Greek...they are basically Michigan natives and locals. Same with the black Michiganders - they look native and local to me.

When I see MI..and I was just there for a couple months recently. It pretty much pales in comparison to AZ's issues.

AZ it makes complete sense. MI it doesn't. Why throw away millions and millions and millions of taxdollar money so that every single policeman who sees my nonwhite/nonblack American wife in the car with me...and have them harrass me every two seconds because she isn't black/white like the majority of people in MI.

Why don't I just clear up the problem now...you guys pay me a few million dollars instead of creating an agency for this in Michigan...and you'll come out way ahead with tax dollar money by not creating this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan