Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 AM

12 posts, read 35,999 times

Advertisements

OK, we are hoping to relocate to SW Michigan. We are originally from the are and are WMU grads. I'll be working in BC but don't mind the commute from the Kalamazoo area. We are looking for the best area with the best schools and would love to hear some comments about our 4 choices.

We'd love to have a bit of property and lakefront would be [LEFT]preferable[/LEFT] but is not a must.

Portage is our default choice if none of the other 4 work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 PM

259 posts, read 823,264 times
I grew up in Mattawan and still live here (though I am only 22). Mattawan has excellent schools. We have a lot of newer neighborhoods going up on all the farm land. You can find houses around here with less then an acre to 10-15+. Or I can sell you all 1500 acres of our farm if you'd like, lol. The only problem would be lakefront, but there are houses out there. Just expect to pay more as there usually in the "nicer" neighborhoods.

Oshtemo is another great town just east of Mattawan. There's a lot of nice neighborhoods there too.

My mom grew up in Vicksburg and loved the town, thats about all I know.

Though if I was you I'd look into Portage as it would be less of a commute for you. My wife did the commute for a bit while doing a project for work and it got tiring real fast though. Don't want to live in BC?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
I'm not sure I would classify any area in "west Michigan" as a "best area", although I like Marshall considerably more than crime ridden BC or Kzoo, and its worth the drive given its cultural outflow from Chicago and Detroit. Battle Creek is highly advised against unless you are a multi-millionaire and care nothing of your housing investment. Kalamazoo has been in constant deterioration for decades, with only WMU as a staple of attraction. If work is your only reason for residing in these areas then Marshall would be my choice by far.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:08 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
We personally really like Vicksburg. Friendly people, good value for the money, and still close enough to both K-zoo and B.C to commute.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM

12 posts, read 35,999 times
Thanks all for the responses!

We are leaning toward Vicksburg as we've heard the schools are great. Marshal is too far east for us as we have family in Paw Paw and South Haven and spend most of our Summer in South Haven or heading north toward Ludington.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:50 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Gull Lake would be my choice if I were forced to move back to the area. Great little lake, best in S. Mi., hands down. Property can be pricy on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan