Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:36 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times

Advertisements

There is absolutely no need for illegal immigration. It is way past time to take this problem seriously. The AZ law is nothing; it simply enforces the Federal law. We should be arresting the farmers who "relied" on this form of labor. The state has a huge amount of unemployed -- they should be out on the farms instead of sitting on their buts collecting Unemployment or Welfare. The people utilizing illegal labor are doing so to reduce costs. The wages probably should be a lot higher for farm labor -- it's hard work. Maybe the government should be directly subsidizing farmers instead of indirectly doing it by not enforcing the immigration laws. Worst case: use prison labor. We have all kinds of people in prison for nonviolent crime -- make them useful to society.

I don't think at this point in time there is any need for LEGAL immigration. It's not everybody's right in the world to come to this country. We have huge economic problems that immigration adds to. We definitely don't need any more H1B immigrants. They've decimated the IT sector -- Americans citizens are routinely let go in favor of cheaper H1B labor and often have to train their successor. At some point if we need immigrants again, pass a law similar to that of Mexico -- their immigration laws are sane.

If the state wants to pass a law on immigration, pass one to go after the employers (even families). Fine them so severely per illegal that it will completely bankrupt a business if they're caught violating the law. If the problem is as severe as thought, it should provide a good revenue stream for the state. It shouldn't be nearly as controversial as the AZ law because it doesn't target the illegals but the net result would be that illegals in the state would leave for other states where they could find jobs. I guess the irony is that the Granholm administration has done a lot for the illegal immigrant problem because it has killed so many jobs. And don't provide any type of welfare benefits for people here illegally -- the state cannot afford it and this is an insane policy to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,598 times
Guess I learn something new everyday on C-D. Never knew illegal immigration was any kind of a problem in Michigan, but then again, I live in the Ann Arbor area.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
NSX

Exactly. To get rid of illegal immigration, it doesn't make sense to drive around and "look for people who look illegal". Going after employers of real illegals would help to cut off the problem at the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
There is absolutely no need for illegal immigration. It is way past time to take this problem seriously. The AZ law is nothing; it simply enforces the Federal law. We should be arresting the farmers who "relied" on this form of labor. The state has a huge amount of unemployed -- they should be out on the farms instead of sitting on their buts collecting Unemployment or Welfare. The people utilizing illegal labor are doing so to reduce costs. The wages probably should be a lot higher for farm labor -- it's hard work. Maybe the government should be directly subsidizing farmers instead of indirectly doing it by not enforcing the immigration laws. Worst case: use prison labor. We have all kinds of people in prison for nonviolent crime -- make them useful to society.

I don't think at this point in time there is any need for LEGAL immigration. It's not everybody's right in the world to come to this country. We have huge economic problems that immigration adds to. We definitely don't need any more H1B immigrants. They've decimated the IT sector -- Americans citizens are routinely let go in favor of cheaper H1B labor and often have to train their successor. At some point if we need immigrants again, pass a law similar to that of Mexico -- their immigration laws are sane.

If the state wants to pass a law on immigration, pass one to go after the employers (even families). Fine them so severely per illegal that it will completely bankrupt a business if they're caught violating the law. If the problem is as severe as thought, it should provide a good revenue stream for the state. It shouldn't be nearly as controversial as the AZ law because it doesn't target the illegals but the net result would be that illegals in the state would leave for other states where they could find jobs. I guess the irony is that the Granholm administration has done a lot for the illegal immigrant problem because it has killed so many jobs. And don't provide any type of welfare benefits for people here illegally -- the state cannot afford it and this is an insane policy to begin with.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 33,881 times
The problem is a bit more complex.

1. Farmers in the southern states have always relied on Mexican labor for their seasonal needs, long before immigration laws even existed in the US, just ask some of the old timers down south and they will tell you how their grandfathers were hiring Mexicans back in the days during harvest time.

2. As bad as the economy is, I have never met an American willing to do strawberry picking for $6-8/hour. I have also never met a farmer willing to pay more than that to anyone, American or not.

3. Work ethics are non-existent in today's youth. For a teenager working at McDonnalds means exactly working at McDonnalds.

4.You want to pay $1 for a burger when a bottle of watter costs $1.29? Well, they have to cut cost somehow to offer you a $1 burger.

5. A computer to the US teenager means a social device, not a tool. They use it to go to Facebook, not learn C++.

6. If you are an American, speak the language and know the culture, something is wrong if you cannot compete with a foreigner who doesn't speak the language and has no idea about the social and business culture of the country.

I can go on and on for ever... Bottom line is that Mexicans come over il/legaly because there are opportunities for them created by the American employer, I cannot blame anyone who tries to better their live given the opportunity. One cannot blame the employers either, when the majority of us have no problem buying the cheaper Chinese goods at Walmart over the much more expensive made in USA...

Last edited by atlrus; 06-11-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 AM

382 posts, read 1,054,215 times
I actually think they need to invite more immigrants into Detroit, Mexicantown is really the only thriving/functional neighborhood outside downtown.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 PM
NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
I actually think they need to invite more immigrants into Detroit, Mexicantown is really the only thriving/functional neighborhood outside downtown.
+1

Have you been to Xochimilco in Mexicantown? Love that place, my favorite restaurant in the country, period.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
you want to hire a lazy person from detroit who eventually will sue the employer and also collect the unemployment for 2 years. Just drive around around detroit area and you will see about 1000 boards from the lawyers "have you been injured at work" . this is the reason there are no jobs. Before pointing at illegal imigrants control the lawyers and make the legal system hard for lazy people to collect work mans comp, disability , bridge card etc

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworker9999 View Post
you want to hire a lazy person from detroit who eventually will sue the employer and also collect the unemployment for 2 years. Just drive around around detroit area and you will see about 1000 boards from the lawyers "have you been injured at work" . this is the reason there are no jobs. Before pointing at illegal imigrants control the lawyers and make the legal system hard for lazy people to collect work mans comp, disability , bridge card etc
Deport the illegals and 95% of the lawyers will disappear.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworker9999 View Post
Missguided statement, a cop out for sure. lawyers are but a small drop in the bucket , that reform in this area would only make a small difference. More harm than good I am told.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Deport the illegals and 95% of the lawyers will disappear.
Maybe in Ca. and AZ. Not so elsewhere. I would hate to try to make a living as a lawyer on the backs of Illegals. Not where the money is for sure !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan