Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,806 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if ex-military officers, especially service academy graduates, are having a hard time finding employment in this economy?

I always thought that a lot of companies value ex military officers over ex enlisted members. For example, several companies such as GE have programs specifically designed for officers who complete their tour and get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I always thought that a lot of companies value ex military officers over ex enlisted members.
FWIW, I know of plenty of prior enlisted that attend top universities and have resume's and vita's that beat out most of the officers I served under. I have one prior Navy enlisted classmate who is headed for grad school at Marquette and another female former Marine I know is headed for grad school at Texas A&M.

It should also be noted that many Army officers I dealt with had college educations/skillsets that weren't easily transferable in the civilian world. (ex. I once had an LT with a degree in Phys. Ed. from Middle Tennessee State. Another CPT I knew had a general studies degree, etc)

Also, many enlisted reservists I served with were college students.

Point is, there are A LOT of other factors besides just being an officer or enlisted.

Do it for your country, not for your resume.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-19-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 05:10 PM

38 posts, read 98,963 times
Great post, heeha. There are a number of recruiters that work with former officers to place them in corporate America. I am a former officer and worked with some, but never had any luck with the recruiters or "head hunters", if you will. In reference to the earlier post, ideally, many of these companies target officers because of the leadership experience that you are placed in at an early age. It has nothing to do with the competence of enlisted personel. Given that the economy is poor, many companies are only hiring those who have "perfect" resumes despite the positive PR that companies advertise about "supporting the troops" and hiring veterans. Being in the military works against you when dealing with HR managers, and companies that are not familiar with the military or the assets that veterans (officer or enlisted)can bring to the table. Also, being in the military makes one mission focused, not profit centered and this requires a paradigm shift for exiting servicemembers.

Last edited by EricB4; 06-19-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
A recent fortune cover story on how Fortune 500 co.'s are seeking ex Military Jr. Officers for management positions:

Battle-tested: From soldier to business leader - Mar. 5, 2010

Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB4 View Post
In reference to the earlier post, ideally, many of these companies target officers because of the leadership experience that you are placed in at an early age.
I am aware of that. And, I have heard conflicting bits on this. I have been told that they there are some in the corporate world who don't like hiring military (officer or enlisted) due to the perception that the military is opposed to creativity and innovation. (My dad, who works for Halliburton, has confirmed this to me.) Also, let's not forget that leadership in the military (even Officer) is vastly different than leadership in the corporate world. The big difference (actually one of many) is a subordinate in the civilian world has the freedom to leave, a 21 year-old E-4 can't.

All I intended to say originally is that prior-enlisted individuals with successful civilian lives/careers do exist and are actually very common in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-19-2010 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
Maybe some employers do prefer ex-officers over ex-enlisted, and while I know of no hard data to prove this way or that, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that such employers are few and far between.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM

67 posts, read 271,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Does anyone know if ex-military officers, especially service academy graduates, are having a hard time finding employment in this economy?
Personally, I break-down officers into 2 types. A) Those whom went to college on scholarships (ROTC and Academy); and B) those whom were "walk-ons" (nonscholarship ROTC and OCS/OTS). I would be very surprised if the acaedemy and ROTC "scholarship" type officers are having a hard time at finding employment. Those guys/gals are sharp and were already relatively accomplished before they even left highschool.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:23 PM

38 posts, read 98,963 times
You are making a distinction that really does not matter. I served 8 years on active duty in the Army and can tell you that when you get commissioned, whether or not you were on a scholarship does not make a bit of difference. Same thing with academy grads, it really does not matter and the soldiers you lead coudn't care less whether you had a scholarship or not.

Nor do companies ask or care once you complete your active duty obligation and are seeking employment. I, for example, was serving in the National Guard while in college, and could not receive a scholarship due to that fact, so I do not consider myself less sharp or accomplished . One is in a much better position to assess officers after they have been commissioned , served, and deployed for several years. It places one in a much better position to make distinctions between officers that you work with, and for, and later, work for you. The pre-commissioning phrase is a tiny part of one's military service.

I would argue that many employers have never served in the military and probably due not know the difference between officer and enlisted. Remember, most Americans these days have never served and get their military knowledge from watching " Full Metal Jacket" and other such movies.
The draft ended decades ago, and most people making hiring decisions have no military experience, and this (in my opinion) does work against a veteran seeking employment. While everyone gives lip service to "supporting the troops" (not sure what that exactly means?), many employers will discriminate against veterans in making hiring decisions while echoing the popular and oft-repeated phrase that they "support the troops."

Last edited by EricB4; 06-20-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB4 View Post

I would argue that many employers have never served in the military and probably due not know the difference between officer and enlisted. Remember, most Americans these days have never served and get their military knowledge from watching " Full Metal Jacket" and other such movies.
The draft ended decades ago, and most people making hiring decisions have no military experience, and this (in my opinion) does work against a veteran seeking employment. While everyone gives lip service to "supporting the troops" (not sure what that exactly means?), many employers will discriminate against veterans in making hiring decisions while echoing the popular and oft-repeated phrase that they "support the troops."
Now THAT, I completely 110% agree with you on. I've brought that up myself. //www.city-data.com/forum/milit...l#post12564104

Only 12% of the US adult population has served in the military honorably (can be called a Veteran). http://factfinder.census.gov/jsp/saf...=tp12_veterans Also, keep in mind, many Veterans live in rural areas away from large corporate employment bases. That percentage is certainly lower in metropolitan areas.

Of the faculty and staff of the university I attend (in a very conservative part of the US, too, East Texas) I only know of 3 people who have served in the military. A criminal justice prof. that is a former JAG officer, a really old tenured poli. sci. prof. that was in the Army for 3 years in the 50's and the director of the student center is a retired Marine COL. That's it.

Of my graduating high school class of about 684 people, from a suburban, fairly affluent, high school in Sugar Land, TX, almost all of whom I either keep in touch with on Facebook or have others who do, I'd say maybe 14 or so either enlisted or commissioned, myself included. Definitely no more than 20.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-20-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I am aware of that. And, I have heard conflicting bits on this. I have been told that they there are some in the corporate world who don't like hiring military (officer or enlisted) due to the perception that the military is opposed to creativity and innovation. (My dad, who works for Halliburton, has confirmed this to me.) Also, let's not forget that leadership in the military (even Officer) is vastly different than leadership in the corporate world. The big difference (actually one of many) is a subordinate in the civilian world has the freedom to leave, a 21 year-old E-4 can't.

All I intended to say originally is that prior-enlisted individuals with successful civilian lives/careers do exist and are actually very common in my neck of the woods.

Most managers in the corporate world manage, they don't lead. Business types talk about leadership all the time, but rarely do it. Military leaders LEAD. They are trained to do it instinctively - Be, Know, Do; Mission first, Men Always; 3C leadership, Etc.

These leadership skills are surprisingly rare and valued in the corporate world. Many of the folks who do have them are executives and they value those skills on their team. Whenever I have had a get-to-know-you or career discussions with a senior exec, I always work my military experience into the conversation somewhere and it always makes a positive impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues