Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

Just thought it was odd that the top news story, which is military related, has not been mentioned here. So what is everyone opinions on the Generals comments and the fall out?

I think the General was dumb to be that candid with Rolling Stone. He should know better for number of reasons.

1.) It's just bad leadership. You never talk ill of your superiors in front of your subordinates or in public. It undermines their authority making them even less effective than whatever you perceived them to be. You take it up with that individual or that individual's superior.

2.) It violation of orders punishable under the UCMJ. Just as pivate can't wear his uniform to a political rally or give a statement to the media representing the armed forces, neither can a general. What makes it worse he had Rolling Stone come to him. To invite such discourse upon yourself is inane.

As far as the President. He kind of had to relieve General McChrystal. There was no other real choice. If he stayed the headlines would be flooded with talks of a weak presedint, how the general rolled all over him, and how we're one step away from the military taking over the government. I din't even vote for the president, but man do I feel sorry for him. He can't catch a break. Seems like all around things keep happening out of his control which he gets the blame for and I don't see a whole lot of what could be done differently. He's especially ineffective as he seems to have pretty entrenched opposition to everything he does, that seems to oppose him just for the sake of it. No matter the issue. Like I said, though I din;t vote with for him, nor do I agree with alot of his policies, man do I feel sorry for him.
===============================================

In case you've been living under a rock this week

Gates says he agrees with Obama decis... - Google News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Well, the way I see it General McChrystal (commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan) made some improper comments during an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine and President Obama allowed General McChrystal to tender his resignation. And everything went as smooth as possible

I believe General McChrystal's Aide also made some inappropriate comments during the interview.

I kind of wonder why General McChrystal made the statements.

I guess you can beat the issue to death, that's all I really have in mind.

Rich

Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Am I wrong?

I heard this was not an interview, but a reporter was imbedded and had permission to follow McChristle for quite some time 24/7.

I wonder if someone tagged behind civilians 24/7 what coments would come out.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times
Op...don't really get your title..no one needs to be worried unless they are pretty high up there like Mccrystal was.. It was beyond wrong the comments he made. How sad and pathetic though, I am sure he ( Mccrytal ) worked hard his whole life to pretty much end hid military career like this. I don't feel bad at all for him. To Rolling Stone of all magazines!! HA

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM

the title was just a joke referencing the lack of conversation about it here

Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
I thought about posting something but was still trying to process all the information.

No doubt the general was wrong to voice his opinions in a public forum; anyone that has ever served knows that.

On the other hand I am sure he was frustrated dealing with the Obama political hacks here and in country.

In my opinion if we don't start kick serious ass in Afghanistan we will lose big time no matter who the general in charge is.

The radicals understand and respect one thing, brute force.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Am I wrong?

I heard this was not an interview, but a reporter was imbedded and had permission to follow McChristle for quite some time 24/7.

that may be true. Rolling Stone did the same thing with Marines back in 03, that spawned a book and subsequent TV series. the officers in general weren't portrayed in the best light, but that had a lot to do with the officers not being as on-the-record as the junior NCOs, heavily salnting the piece to the latters POV.

Generation Kill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Am I wrong?

This might very well the case & what I am wondering also.

I served under then COL Hickey (mastermind behind the capturing of Saddam Hussein) & had weekly briefings w/ the COL. If you want to hear some language & comments...that is a person to listen too as most civilians would jawdrop if they heard how he "spoke". I also believe to this day he has only done 1 interview about the capture & refused for years to even speak to reporters (and this did get him in trouble at times).,

That being said, a military member is "allowed" to disagree w/ the President.
Dissenting is a whole other issue.

GEN McChrystal had an amazing career & beloved by the troops. Made some great changes in Afghanistan. Always been known to have a locker room mouth & to struggle w/ keeping his opinions/thoughts w/in safe distance.

But this sort of thing happens in the Army all the time. High ranking officers are relieved for far worse things than making some harsh coments to a reporter.

Concern is the timing and just the overall need of GEN McCrystal.

But what is done is done. GEN Petraus is now in charge.

Military is doing what it does best now...no longer commenting on it & going on w/ the offensive. Wasting any more time on it is of danger to our troops. The media has nothing better to do so they'll keep picking at it until they can find every single angle.

CNNs Rick Sanchez had all the answers the other day....such comments as this is the perfect reason we should not be using military force in Afghanistan.

Yes, b/c the Taliban have always been know to be such logical & resonable people to work with ...

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I guess you can beat the issue to death, that's all I really have in mind.

Rich

b/c that is how he has always been

getting to his level of rank didn't happen by sitting by & NOT disagreeing.

he made some comments in front of the wrong person

if we think this NEVER happens in the military...we are all very naive

not saying it was right

the media is beating it to death

but like I stated above, far worse things happen w/ military officers ALL THE TIME

This one just made the headlines of a major magazine.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
b/c that is how he has always been
That doesn't really answer the question...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues