Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times

Advertisements

I'm betting the posters that are complaining about the new Air Force fitness standards aren't physically fit themselves or at best marginal.

Airmen that can't or won't adapt have head space and timing issues and shouldn't be in the military anyway.

Airforce personel that I've had the pleasure to service with were all professional and I have no doubt will excel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM

165 posts, read 553,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I'm betting the posters that are complaining about the new Air Force fitness standards aren't physically fit themselves or at best marginal.

Airmen that can't or won't adapt have head space and timing issues and shouldn't be in the military anyway.

Airforce personel that I've had the pleasure to service with were all professional and I have no doubt will excel.
And I'm betting that you're an.... eh forget it. And you never even served in the AF.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
And I'm betting that you're an.... eh forget it. And you never even served in the AF.
Army 30 years and Master Fitness Trainer for 13-14 of those years.

PS: I never said I was AF, only that I had served with some great AF troops (stateside, Iraq, Korea, Germany).

Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Glad none of you are trying to make this personal and are sticking to having a rational discussion.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
I am active duty AF...Personally the old standards/and new standards are a joke. they are set at very reasonable levels. And half the people i pass on a day to day basis i know can't pass them. And probably haven't for years, but thats the luxury of the airmans count i guess.
My worst test is the run, but i still do what i need to do to pass. And not questionably pass, but i leave myself plenty of cushion in case. And i always max out the push ups, sit ups, and waist measurement.
Something about being 5'6" and a smoker doesn't agree with running lol

Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The Army has been tough on PT for years without major problems Air Force personel are just going to have to adjust and do the deal.

If I was a young AF person I'd be busting my ass PTing waiting for upward mobility as the older guys that won't change get the boot.
Easier said than done. Without cultural change the failures are just going to stack up. Hell, when they rolled out the new test they actually rescinded the requirement that troops be allowed to leave the office to PT 3 days a week. Now it's up to commanders' discretion to allow their people to even do PT as part of the duty day. Comparing the AF to the Army isn't fair because their cultural approaches to fitness are still very different, even if their goals are similar these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
This is just force shaping, nothing more. I don't think the failures will be as bad as the Air Force is predicting. When I took my last PT test using the old standards I did what I had to do to pass, although they told me that I wouldn't pass the new standards because I didn't meet the minimum in sit-ups. When I test on the new standards I will do what I need to do to pass.
And that's the attitude that's going to cause a lot of people to fail. They're underestimating the new requirements just as you are. Despite how similar they may look on paper it's actually a good deal tougher overall than the previous test.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
rescinded the requirement that troops be allowed to leave the office to PT 3 days a week. Now it's up to commanders' discretion to allow their people to even do PT as part of the duty day.
Year of the family, go Air Force!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
They really need to get rid of the gut measurement as a gauge for points and instead give more points for the run, push ups and sit ups. Then do an open ranks inspection and if you look like you're going to pop out of your ABU's then it's time to do more PT regardless even if you did just pass.

I'm also not too keen about the "2 strikes in a row and you're out" rule. I understand though it's part of force shaping. But sadly that rule is for anyone, even the best of the best troops with all firewall 5 EPR's and all the decs you could think of that have been faithful to their country for 15 years.

As for being tougher, the thing I like about it was in the past I had people that were skinny as a tooth pick, would maybe do 5 sit ups and 10 push ups max but yet could do the 1.5 mile in like 9 minutes. Heck some of them could literally walk the 1.5 and still pass!!! Now those same individuals are going to be forced to do more push ups and sit ups if they want to stay in.

I last tested in May, and under the new score I would actually get a better score.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
Think about it, there are double standards with the new PT test. Why if you make a 75% or better but your lacking in say sit-ups and did not meet the minium why should it be considered a failure? or You made all the minimums that are required but you don't make a 75% why is it you still fail? I know what the reg says but this is ridiculous! It should be either you make a 75% or better or You meet all the minumums in each area NOT BOTH! If you stop and realy evaluate the correct push up or sit-up you will find that it takes about 1-2 seconds to perform them correctly as the reg requires. So with that being said how can one expect to get miniums if there is NO possible way they can meet it doing it correctly?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
there's precedent on meeting all minimums and failing. on the usmc pft if u min all events u still fail. your cumulative score would not be high enough to pass.

anyways, i think the waist measurement part is kind of dumb. It should only come into play as it relates to body fat if someone is over the weight for their height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues