Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is my question, I want to join the airforce, but when I was a minor I got a DWI. The infraction is only on my driving record and happened almost 3 years ago. I just want to know if it is possible to join and what I would have to do to join. I don't drink or anything now and am COMPLETELY clean! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,040 times
sorry dude, not gonna happen.... Look at the navy or army...

Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Technically you can, with a waiver (I'm a recruiter). BUT, you need a waiver for a DWI AND Underage drinking. Even though you might not have been citing for underage drinking, it is obvious you also broke that law, so will need a waiver for both. Offenses you weren't charged with, but admit to, need waivers, that's how it will be treated. With the double law breaking, and the fact that we have close to a zero tolerance for DWI (People lose their entire careers, can be kicked out mid-contract), it's so extremely unlikely to get approved that it would be a waste of time.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 AM

317 posts, read 576,337 times
Air Force is picky anyway, you dont want to bother with them or the Coast Guard anyway.

Try Army, Navy or Marines, theyre the heaviest of the drinking branches will gladly accept you into their ranks. In the army for example you wont lose your career but instead be given an article 15 [reduction in rank and loss of 3 months pay] Once you join you will start drinking again, plus booze is easily accessible on base, like the 24/7 shoppette, Class Six and so on

Enjoy and Have fun

Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,642 times
Air Force is a shrinking service. If you have a high school diploma and meet the physical, then go for it. Don't settle for one of the other services based on advice you receive here. Go to a recruiter. You might hit them at a time when their quota is behind. Anything is waiverable for the most part. Find out for yourself face to face with a recruiter.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,736 times
DWIs are bad juju. Starting in about 2007 (during PBD 720) a DWI became a career death sentence. The only way to know is to talk to a recruiter face to face. Air National Guard could still take you.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Accession standards change frequently, but I can tell you if you are not honest about it with your recruiter and get the AETC waiver at MEPS, if for any reason they find out once you are in, you can be discharged for it. AETC waivers are MUCH more likely to be approved when you are honest at MEPS than the retention ones requested once you are in and have already proven yourself of questionable integrity because you did not fully disclose when asked (nice way of saying you out and out LIED).

Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,735 times
Years ago I had a DUI right before shipping out, and told them when I was down at basic training and they didn't kick me out. Granted I had it after I signed my initial contract, I was ANG, and this was 1995, times have probably changed a lot since then. But I have known several people who are in who have gotten DUIs, and it is NOT the death sentence many make it seem. Best advice is like a couple of people have said, talk to a recruiter.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
Go talk to an actual recruiter.

As for the DWI being a death sentence, I've seen varying punishments for it. A couple JO's I know got some. One was booted and one came a hair away from the boot but somehow managed to stay but is having serious career problems.

If you do get in, don't ever do it while on active duty.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,233 times
How about don't ever do it again, period. :-) I agree, talk to a recruiter for a definitive answer, but I wouldn't hold your breath, especially for the AF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues