Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 186,295 times

Advertisements

True that. I got you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,959,934 times
Not sure what to make of this thread considering if you go to a male strip joint, strippers wear cop umiforms & soldier uniforms. IMO it should be illegal. It makes light of people who work hard to protect the country, a mockery if you ask me.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,773,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Not sure what to make of this thread considering if you go to a male strip joint, strippers wear cop umiforms & soldier uniforms. IMO it should be illegal. It makes light of people who work hard to protect the country, a mockery if you ask me.
In The United States we have the freedom to mock our government and it's institutions and employees, I value that freedom.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,487,386 times
Well a strip club is private property for one...and another, they are not in any way trying to pass themselves OFF as the actual ________.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
The wearing of a military uniform to gain attention is the wrong reason to wear it. Police and firefighters wear uniforms in part to get attention so you know they are officials and it serves the purpose to put everyone on notice they are there.

While there is nothing wrong with wearing a military uniform in public, lets hope we don't get to the point where we end up looking like so many other countries where our society looks like a military post instead of a country.

That isn't meant to imply in any way or lessen the contribution of those who serve and have served. So often you see people in military uniforms doing so as attention getters. If you wear a military uniform because you like the attention, then perhaps something is missing.

In civilian dress you represent yourself, in uniform the military, have the decency and put in the effort to wear it proudly, completely and appropriately. Also realize that some in society don't hold the military in the same regard as most of us and at least be cognizant that the attention you get might not be the kind you want and that it can affect those in your immediate proximity, think it through.

Combat fatigues are grubbies. If you're going to go to a setting where others dress up, even a little and you show up in combat fatigues, you are showing disrespect, you have other military dress options available to you, dress accordingly.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,519 times
can a reserve marine ware his combat boots, cammie trousers,His FROG shirt, And cover in public while doing PT, im not a marine but im wanting to join

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

quote]can a reserve marine ware his combat boots, cammie trousers,His FROG shirt, And cover in public while doing PT, im not a marine but im wanting to join[/quote]

WARE? No definitely not! The Marine may WEAR the boots though, however the remaining articles are a no no.

Being a reversist they might get away with it as there may be less Marines around to notice and report.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

133 posts, read 283,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc864 View Post
can a reserve marine ware his combat boots, cammie trousers,His FROG shirt, And cover in public while doing PT, im not a marine but im wanting to join
You sound like a real winner. I hope your like 16 years old. Marines do not wear cammies around town or to travel, only the slovenly army, air farce and navy allow that. Semper Fi. Gung Ho. Uraah. Pain is Good.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,051,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
You sound like a real winner. I hope your like 16 years old. Marines do not wear cammies around town or to travel, only the slovenly army, air farce and navy allow that. Semper Fi. Gung Ho. Uraah. Pain is Good.
I agree to this. To answer the OP's question, it depends on the branch, and I am unsure of why you were not briefed on the uniform policy. With my guard unit, we are authorized to wear the ACU uniform to and from drill (including errands on the way home), as well as to events that the wearing of the uniform would be more appropriate than civilian attire. This is basically a provision for military ceremonies and events.

When I was newly enlisted, I wanted to wear my ACU's everywhere. I was so proud. Now, I just want to get home to get my boots off. It has nothing to do with diminished pride, but rather knowing this is a part of your life, and a job. I will stop at the grocery store in my ACU's, but thats about it. I don't wear it when not on duty.

As for other parts of the uniform, that really depends on the circumstance. I never wear my cover alone, that just seems off to me. I will wear my boots if my ankle is hurting, or my ACU trousers if working around the house. I do not piecemeal a uniform with a normal civilian outfit in public. To me, its not classy. The most I would do is wear my combat boots in public.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM

^^^^ Which "branch" of the Marines do you think he's asking about?

The Marines do NOT wear utility uniforms off base unless on duty...they are professional like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues