Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ You believe incorrectly then... I've seen people disciplined for violating this.

Uniforms of the United States Marine Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marines are not authorized to wear their utility uniforms off-base while on leave or liberty, except while in a vehicle traveling to or from base, or in an emergency. The Army offers more leeway in this regard, but still prohibits casual wear of utilities, especially in social or drinking scenarios.[16]

2005. UTILITY UNIFORMS (See figs. 2-32 through 2-34.)

>CH 5 1. Commanders may prescribe the utility uniform as the uniform of the day, in accordance with the below guidance. The uniform is authorized for parades, reviews or other ceremonies, and informal social functions. The utility coat may be removed only for physical training and work details. When the Marine Corps combat utility uniform (MCCUU) is worn during the summer season the desert Marine Pattern (MarPat) with the sleeves rolled up, will be worn. When the MCCUU is worn during the winter season the commander) the woodland MarPat will be worn with the sleeves down. ALMAR 035/07 and ALMAR 07/08

>CH 5 2. The utility uniform is a working uniform and not appropriate for wear in a civilian environment. Wear of the MCCUU is authorized while commuting to and from work via privately owned vehicles. However, en route stops while off-base are not authorized except for bonafide emergencies, such as medical emergencies, vehicle breakdown, or vehicle accidents. Marines and Sailors may only wear the MCCUU at off base establishments when using drive-thru services such as ATMs, fast food restaurants, or dry cleaners when they do not exit the vehicle. ALMAR 035/07

5. Regulations for wearing utility uniforms are detailed in paragraph 3037.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

At least when I was in they were only allowed to travel to/from in their vehicle...no stopping...no such thing as running out of gas since your car has a gauge. You could've filled it up the night before...
One of the stupidest rules in the military. I'm glad the Navy finally came to their senses and allowed people to get gas off base in uniform. I can understand going out around town, but filling up gas for five minutes? Stupid rule.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
One of the stupidest rules in the military. I'm glad the Navy finally came to their senses and allowed people to get gas off base in uniform. I can understand going out around town, but filling up gas for five minutes? Stupid rule.

Marines used to be able to go out in town in cammies to a limited number of places: schools/daycare, gas stations, and banks. Gas stations only for emergency stops, you get your gas an keep going. I beleive the straw that broke the horse back can be blamed on a certain gas station outside Camp Lejeune NC where there was a McDonalds' inside and Marines used this loophole to eat at teh MCdonalds. The Corps doesn't know how to do things half way,. It's strategy is to push through a target, not to it, and that mentality creeps into everything. If something is too far left, the Marine Corps doesn't institute policy to bring it center, they go high and to the right. So when people started consistently violating the orders they restricted the wear of cammies off base with no exceptions. This same mentality can be seen in the Marines restrictive tattoo policies it has now and many other things. Like they used to say when we still used iron sights on the range "bold adjustments". I guess the Corps figures if you go too far in the opposite direction you can always dial it back down the road, versus risk not going far enough.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
I saw a MARINE officer wearing his utility uniform with Lt rank at a public outdoors shooting range, I though it looked inappropriate, he also took his coat off and just wore the t-shirt & combat trousers with his Marine cover and officer's rank

and this was no where near a USMC base, he was wearing it while on leave

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 186,247 times
Ok. Well like I see these videos of homecomings and surprises, and these are NCOs as well doing these things. So I see it as an ok thing when flying and doing things like showing up to family. Or are NCOs and above viewed as the only ones that will not be looked at or questioned in public by other soldiers(wearing civies)? Yes I'm a private(hoping to get my SPC soon) and yes I like wearing the uniform. I have pride in it. I have no problem with it. And also does it have to do with rank? Like NCOs and officers won't be looked down upon or questioned because they're higher and I'm just some lower enlisted? I'm not saying I wear it everywhere but I certainly will take the thought of taking it with me and thinking "hey, I think today I'll wear it" oh! And I don't mind the attention. I certainly think of every action before I do it when I'm in uniform. Plus, some of my family still hasn't seen me in the uniform. So I like to show it to them. For one, its me telling those people that doubted me and dumped me, that look, I've become something.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM

And I've certainly thought of the idea of getting with my buds that have joined and we go out wearing our ACUs. Just as a look at us now. Not a msg to the people but to ourselves. And just talk about how we are now. These are the things I'm talking about when I wear my uniform. I don't wear it all the time off duty. But when I go home on leave, I take it with me just in case I get in the mood to feel patriotic and proud of who I am now. People ask, I simply just say what they want to hear so they leave me alone about it. And some will be like, "why wear it? I take it off as soon as I get home. I get tired of wearing it. And why draw attention to yourself?" I simply don't mind it because it makes me feel good that I have the stuff to wear this uniform.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
^^^^ Why not wear one of the dressier uniforms then? Too much work to wear it correctly?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM

No. Just rather have it dry cleaned and hanging until I wear it and apparently I can't take it in one of those bags on the plane.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
It's this effort and professionalism...or lack of it, that sets some men/services apart from others.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM

But yes, recently I've gotten the **** it attitude about that and will most likely wear the dress uniform next time. Plus I plan on taking professional photos when I get back from this deployment and getting a lot of copies and handing them out to my family and close friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues