Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I will form a wager, I wish to put up some of my money to form a bet.

I think that I will die soon, so I wish to wager with someone a lot of money that I will die soon.

Now how much of my money do I wish to put into that wager? And then how badly do I want to win the bet?
Alas no, I want to focus on living.

I want to have all of my rightful money, to spend as I wish, to enjoy.

Our retirement home has no mortgage, my Dw can live here for a long time with a very low cost-of-living.

Our investment portfolio that we got into when I was on AD, was collecting apartment buildings. [Thankfully the Navy pays high enough income that we were able to buy one building at most of my duty stations.] So we do have other streams of income, should I die, my Dw would continue to have those streams of income.

I see no need to lose portions of my current income, into a wager, where I would be wagering that I will die soon.

If I were mortally wounded, on my death bed, or so ill that we were counting the weeks until my final breath; then yes such a wager would make more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 15,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciK View Post
Hi, my husband is retiring this Sept. We are discussing if we should take the survivors benefit plan. Just wondering what other people have done?
Yes, take the survivors benefit plan, it will be paid in full in five years. Another note: if you stored furniture stateside. Request the furniture be delivered in its original package. Covan moving company will remove all items from boxes (including TV's)". To allow space for additional delivery (4 families per truck).

Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsmith View Post
Yes, take the survivors benefit plan, it will be paid in full in five years. Another note: if you stored furniture stateside. Request the furniture be delivered in its original package. Covan moving company will remove all items from boxes (including TV's)". To allow space for additional delivery (4 families per truck).
Where did you get the information that the policy will be paid in full in five years? Effective 1 Oct 2008, a plan is paid up if 360 payments (30 years) were made and you reached 70 years old.

Older Retirees to See SBP Premiums End - Military Benefits - Military.com

Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 AM

104 posts, read 832,792 times
My how things have changed for us! Husband got a offer in Louisiana (BAFB) and took it. So, we are now here and have bought a house. I am finally home after 11 years!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM

16 posts, read 58,393 times
I took it, even though I out earn my husband. We have an autistic child, and he would get the benefits if something happened to the two of us.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
I declined and took my employer insurance policy and is less expensive and can be transferred after my second retirement. The company is paying 3 times my salary and I took another 4 times...So I have close to $500k for under $30 per month...

Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Seems to me to be quite doubtful if there will even be pensions 25 years from now
and /or if they are around in some form they will get u 2 Happy Meals.

Can you say 50+ trillion dollar debt?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
We were able to get $250,000 worth of term insurance from our credit union at a VERY reasonable rate. That may be worth looking into for some of you.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Hi, my husband is retiring this Sept. We are discussing if we should take the survivors benefit plan. Just wondering what other people have done?

We are retired military and decided against it. Main reason was that when DH retired, we had most the kids still at home, 2 in college, and bills to pay. The premiums were just more than we were comfortable with to receive 55% of his retirement pay (which is all you get should he die). So, we opted instead for a term life insurance policy for MUCH cheaper for $1Million. Since he was in great health, a non-smoker and no issues, it was way cheaper than it would have been for SBI.

Our logic was IF something happened to him, I would get enough to invest and live comfortably. If something should happen to ME, the SBI would cease, but the $1 Million or whatever was left remained for our estate to bequeath.

Just a thought...worked for us...and I am happy to say I have no intentions in collecting either!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 PM

591 posts, read 663,761 times
Quote:

It's a good program....however, my husband was promised after 30 years and at age 70 it would be paid off. After much delay, and cut backs it was finally approved. My husband is now 74 and has paid into it more than 30 years.

I am now insured to receive 55% of his pay if something happens to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues