Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times

Advertisements

Our son is in the Army and getting two weeks leave around Christmas before he goes to Kuwait. We are going to be paying for his flight home, and I would sure love to know if anyone has information on cheaper flights. I have called the airlines, and their "military discount" ticket is actually more expensive than those I have found on expedia, etc..... I am really surprised. Any info is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Some generic stuff.
1. make sure your comparing apples to apples. The airline price may iclude all taxes and charges while the third party site may be the base price not including any other cost.
2. The military rate from the airlines may show as non-refundable but some will issue a no-fee credit if military orders change his plans. Third party sites may be non refundable with no options.
3. Airline military rate tickets may let you charge the ticket on your credit card and issue ticket in his name. Third party sites may want to issue ticket in your name.
4 Military discounts from airlines are treated like regular tickets while 3rd party sites tickets may be first bumped last rebooked.
5. Airline military discount tickets are covered under US laws. Third party tickets don't have same protections until you checkin and officially exchange your 3rd party reservation for an official airline ticket or boarding pass. Up until you do that, if anything goes wrong, you deal with the third party not the airline.
6. Not that common but third party reservations don't always get booked with the airlines. This is happening more and more.

You want to make sure that the discount price your paying is really a discount when all cost are included and how the thrird party reservation and a real direct airline ticket differ.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Thanks so much for this info!!!! I will admit to "flying blind" here! LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
there was a website, I think it was militarytickets.com, that had cheap unpublished rates. My wife flew from NC to CA for under $200 in June 09.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks! I did see that one!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
I always get the lowest published fares directly from airlines. If he has flexible travel plans (one or two days either way on either end of the vacation), then look for all of those dates. Look for at least 7 days straight, and at least several times a day during that period. Prices are highly variable.

When searching for destinations to which I don't often fly, I'll sometimes use sites like Orbitz or Expedia to do the initial research, then book the reservation from the airline at the same price, or within a couple of dollars.

Finally, the "discount" fares for bereavement, military discount, etc., are usually not good because they are based on a discount from a higher fare class. The fares may be refundable. Check into that. Some sites that advertise "special" fares aren't at all special. You can book that very same fare from the airline.

FWIW, in all of the countless itineraries (I fly several times a month, sometimes twice a week) that I have booked in the last 10 years, I have not booked one flight using a third party site.

Edit: My two cheapest fares of the many same-route fares purchased this year, are Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both were purchased for $208, where the normal cheap fare is $253, standard is $360, and high is $440.

Last edited by 43north87west; 09-29-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
there was a website, I think it was militarytickets.com, that had cheap unpublished rates. My wife flew from NC to CA for under $200 in June 09.

However, flying --in June--is a whole lot different than flying--around Christmas--

Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Its good to read the airlines policies. Some do not charge for the first check bag fee for military traveling on special fares. Some offer the discount with no advance purchase. I;ve seen super cheap discounts for military travel on certain common flights far below what any cheap 3rd party discount coffers. The biggest advantage of booking direct with airlines or on an airline ticket through a travel agent is that your ticket is under regulations where the thrid party may only be a reservation through that 3rd party and not a "booked" ticket

Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM

So the consensus is that it is better to book a ticket directly from the airline. Try to have a little flexibility in the arrival and departure dates, ask for the military discount from the airline.

He will be flying from Frankfurt, Germany to Huntsville AL on 12/18 and flying out of Huntsville, AL on Jan 2. He has to be back on base by Jan 4.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
So the consensus is that it is better to book a ticket directly from the airline. Try to have a little flexibility in the arrival and departure dates, ask for the military discount from the airline.

He will be flying from Frankfurt, Germany to Huntsville AL on 12/18 and flying out of Huntsville, AL on Jan 2. He has to be back on base by Jan 4.
Unfortunately, the consensus is doing research. I suggest you look at the lowest rate, whether direct or third party and find out the rules for refunds/ticket changes. If you don't like the rules, move on to the second lowest...etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues