Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times

Advertisements

ok guys on the day you left for basic or boot camp ..what did you take with you that day ..the reason why i ask was the other day a friend son left for basic training and he took a day pack with a some cloths and a ipod all packed into the daypack along with some paperwork and that was it ..

so i wonder if what did you take with you on that day ..if i remember that day right i took only some paperwork that day to give to the people at the basic training and that was it for we could not take anything else with us that day ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
ok guys on the day you left for basic or boot camp ..what did you take with you that day ..the reason why i ask was the other day a friend son left for basic training and he took a day pack with a some cloths and a ipod all packed into the daypack along with some paperwork and that was it ..

so i wonder if what did you take with you on that day ..if i remember that day right i took only some paperwork that day to give to the people at the basic training and that was it for we could not take anything else with us that day ..
Backpack with a change of clothes and a week of toiletries (shaving, etc.), my wallet with ID and $60 (in 1986), and my paperwork from MEPS.

Don't need anything else, really.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM

we where told no toiletries at all they would be issused when we got there .. along with to take your id card or drivers lics plus only 40 dollars in cash money that was it ..

they had a guy who was going to back into to Army after he gotten out of the Army a year earlyer ..he was put in charge of the group along with all the paperwork from the MEPS station ..then we where taken to the local airport and fly out that day to go to basic training..

Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
If you already haven't, register for the Military.com Mobile | Headline News forums and search.

Every branch is different. There is an airplane restriction on liquids but they are allowed. In the air force usually you can bring electronics and they get locked up until your last day.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:13 PM

when i went it was 1975 era so it was a lot diff then for we showed up with the cloths on back and that was it .. ..for my kids went they where allowed to take a lot more items

Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
In (79) at Ft Sill I was told to only take a razor, shaving cream, the clothes on my back, no more than twenty dollars, wallet with Drivers License and a packet of paperwork for the Drill Sergeant at the Reception Station. And was told that all the rest would be provided by Uncle Sam. plus three hots and a cot.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
My son just got back from OSUT at Ft Knox (BCT and AIT combined). He took exactly what the Army said to take. Toiletries, a few changes of clothes, towel, etc. After 2 days at MEPS and his transfer to Ft Pickett, he got on a plane to Ft Knox and had to throw away over $50 of toiletries because..... he got on a plane and wasn't allowed to check his backpack. We had no idea he was being transferred via plane - thought he would go on a bus.

Once he got to Ft Knox, everything he owned was taken from him - including his underwear and he was issued all his clothing. His toiletry kit - which had a bag full of mole skin for blisters and all his non-liquid stuff taken away and put in locked storage for 4 months. He was given $250 to purchase everything that he had brought all over again... a towel, toiletries - even another toiletry bag (in a nice camo color this time).

At the time I was irritated (still kind of am). We spent time and money getting together exactly what he would need that would meet army regs. Then it sat in a locker somewhere unused for 4 months. Our son ended up throwing most of the clothes away that he brought - 4 months with no washing.... Good choice!

I rambled quite a bit, but as long as he shows up.... the Army will take care of him. He basically only needs items to get him from home, to inside the gate at the base. After that they give him or make him buy everything he needs.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Foar a male Marine recruit all they need is the clothes on thir back, no more than $20 for the ride down, and trheri wallet with phto id, ssn card, and recruiter's business card.
Females are allowed to tak a lil' bit more like femine hair care and hygiene products. Sports bras too, I believe.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
...1975 era so it was a lot diff then for we showed up with the cloths on back...
That's exactly right. In 1970s, we took a blade razor, toothpaste... and that was about it. They went through our stuff and threw anything else in a pile behind them. If you need it, you'll get it there. I'm sure it's a little more relaxed now, but take nothing of value. Any recruiter should have a prepared list of authorized items.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Its embarrassing but I was 18...I brought a box of condoms. Of course, the condoms were found on the first day with the bag drag. Life being what it is, it was not just a regular drill instructor, it was the top enlisted drill instructor. He, of course, had a field day with me. I got ripped from head to toe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues