Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:00 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,857 times

Advertisements

It's always hard on parents when their kids go into the military. My husband has been enlisted active duty for 27 years, spent the first 10 years in the Air Force and then went Army. Our son joined the Army last October. We weren't too happy he went Army and wanted to him to go AF but we are very supportive of his decision now. He has a new sense of confidence in himself that we hadn't seen before. I'm very proud of him and am very scared if he has to deploy but know if that happens we well support him because it is very important to remain positive.

If joining the AF is what you want to do, just do it. Don't worry about what your parents think because once you've signed on the dotted line I'm sure they will come around and will have no choice but to be supportive. The only thing I can suggest is to try and find someone you trust who is currently or retired AF and ask them questions and possibly take them with you to the recruiter. Recruiters have quotas to meet and sometime aren't looking out for your best interest. You might also seek out the military rep at the college you are attending and find out if they you are eligible for ROTC or some other program where you can finish college and then go in as an officer but the military will pay for your schooling.

I wish you all the best! Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
I completely disagree! My husband did not join until he was 28, going on 29. He's been in 11 years now, and loves it. His plan is to get to SGM and say as long as they'll let him
Some people were just made for military life. They like the control and have the mindset for it. I didnt.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Some people were just made for military life. They like the control and have the mindset for it. I didnt.
Pythonis, I've had the pleasure of working with some very creative people in the military. Yes, the military "mindset" CAN be one of lockstep obedience. but the military DOES have it's fair share of innovators (and needs more!)

Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
Get a job in something that is actually useful on the outside.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:21 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I think the Air Force is the most civilized, really good about taking care of their people. I was in the Navy and we tried hard, but the Navy pretty much has to come first. Being in the service is an excellent way to save up money, do some traveling, learn to appreciate civilian life, or make the service a career. I never regret serving, did 25 years, loved every minute of it. Be careful about what field you go into if you join. Don't pick something useless on the outside world. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues