Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times

Advertisements

Our family is heartsick because our son, who is retired from the most elite section of the Army, is now hopelessly addicted. He was given very addictive drugs after being wounded, and after that was given a steady supply of different ones. He has lost his marriage, his job, and his children, and will most likely die living under a bridge somewhere.

I wonder how widespread this might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 588,299 times
My heart goes out to you adn I'm very sorry to hear that your son was wounded and became addicted to painkillers. Unfortunately, with the drugs available today people are becoming addicted to drugs (legal and illegal) no matter where they are getting them from. Your son's case is the first one I've heard of where the drugs were given by a military doctor.

Have you checked to see if there is a detox center he can get into?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
It doesn't necessarily have to involve the military. I know a young guy who had his hand and wrist crushed by falling boxes in the stock room of a national pharmacy chain. He endured multiple surgeries, months of agonizing pain, procedures. Right now he's in rehab. He became addicted to the medication and when the Dr's cut it off, he started buying drugs on the street.

I wish that I had more to offer, but I don't. It would be trite to offer up a few hopeful words knowing what you will most likely going through in the months ahead.

God grant you strength.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Thanks everyone. The VA drug treatment options are limited, but he has been to more than one, but they have not helped.This is a man who had everything and now has nothing. At this point, it will take a miracle to save him I think, so we just pray for a good outcome.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Sorry about your problems but this is not an issue related to military doctors. People have been getting addicted to and abusing prescription painkillers for years. Heck, even Johnny Cash was addicted to 'em.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 PM

160 posts, read 350,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The VA drug treatment options are limited
Not true in the least bit.
I can't go to the VA and ask for an aspirin w/o getting the pts questions.

Quote:
but he has been to more than one, but they have not helped.
The VA can and WILL help him, but he has to WANT help.
Addicts/Alcoholics won't stop until they themselves WANT to stop.
Until that time, no one on earth or above it can help them.

I suggest you look up alanon/narcanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues