Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM

58 posts, read 135,284 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at joining the National Guard and trying to land an active duty position (AGR). My father served in the navy for 10 years prior to becoming AGR and all my life I've only ever known military life. My parents never wanted me to join but rather go to college but Im not so sure it's all bad.... And ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
We have over 20,000,000 veterans in the U.S. right now, so you would have that many answers...

Going to college is not a bad idea, it might help you in the service...

I got my college while in the service.

I am retired from the Army.

I would go talk to all the recruiters and see what they can offer... You don't know if you qualify.

Rich

Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
I'm retired with a little over 21 years....retired 2009.

The last 5 years of my military career were absolutely horrendous, nothing but politics....people trying to pad their OER/NCOER.....There was no care (care as in they did not care what you thought) for anyone....they said it was out there..the care....but please....all about ME, who cares about you.....

Were there people who did the right thing when needed...no matter the results....yes there were...but the people who would do things just because, far out weighed...those that did right..

And as you can see, Poncho....is very correct...

Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Going to college is always a better option, but if you have to join, it's not bad if you don't have kids and have a sense of adventure. I've been active duty Navy for 8 years. I'm only 26 and I've been to 7 different countries and had great experiences.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM

If I were interested, what is often given to those with a degree, considering that I would finish school first. And what could I do to possibly start out higher like ROTC or something? Does ASVAB score lead to better rank? What does it take to qualify for officer?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 AM

170 posts, read 635,268 times
I have been in for about 14 years and I love it. I would tell my child to go to college over the military if they had that choice. The military is not bad at all but most good jobs outside the military seem to be driven by a degree.

You could always join the military and get your degree while you are AD/reserves. The best of both worlds!!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
The military is not for everyone. There is always a high percentage of first-enlistment folks who hate it and who get out after that first enlistment. It is not a career suitable for everyone.

You have no idea if it will suit you, or not, until after you give it a try.

Having a technical degree can help, and it can be done while you are on Active Duty. If you focus your energy to do it. Overall very few people honestly focus themselves to accomplish that goal.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapses! View Post
I'm looking at joining the National Guard and trying to land an active duty position (AGR). My father served in the navy for 10 years prior to becoming AGR and all my life I've only ever known military life. My parents never wanted me to join but rather go to college but Im not so sure it's all bad.... And ideas?
Why in the *world* would you join the NG, then TRY to land an AGR position? Why not just enlist on active duty in the first place?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Why in the *world* would you join the NG, then TRY to land an AGR position? Why not just enlist on active duty in the first place?
Stay near home..at least in state

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
The military is just like any other job in some ways in that your experience can vary wildly depending on where you are. I was on MCAS Tustin and my time was fairly easy. Worked 8 - 5 for the most part, field day once a week, formations once a month, etc. My friend, on the other hand, was on Kanoehoe Bay where they had formations 3 times a day at least, worked long hours, played boot camp type head games, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues