Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times

Advertisements

Bellhead, thanks for the simplication. Thats what i have been trying to say. Refinement is definitely needed. A complete overhaul is what i am against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:38 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Where are getting your information? "I heard" is a rumor.
In 2006 I was on a MAJCOM Staff. I saw the draft proposal from CJCS/J1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Additionally, this topic has no business going to Politics and other Controversies. Your just a standard user so stop looking for brownie points. Furthermore, you managed to avoid answering my comment that ties into this thread. In short, I agree that some investigation should occur but not a complete overhaul.
I thought I answered it with turning all rear-echelon jobs in the AOR into short tours like Korea. Sorry if you disagree with me. Now answer my question: Where and when did you serve, particularly in Iraq or Afghanistan? Or are you just a poser here trying to cast aspersions on the 'current administration'?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Smoke_Jaguar4 and PonchoNM, thanks for the intelligent replies. I'm also in favor of looking at combat pay critically. In fact, the Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation has been around for at least 25+ years, as far as I remember. Long before President Obama was elected. And I would think that EVERY American would want the DoD to spend our tax monies wisely and fairly to ensure those that face the greatest danger should get the highest pay.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 PM

50 posts, read 148,721 times
I am retired Air Force medic and I deployed to Afghanistan for a year in 2008 with the Army. We went out on convoy missions every day and it pissed me off to no end that the people hanging out on Bagram, in Qatar, UAE, and Manas got the same combat and hazardous duty pay I was recieving.

I think it does need to be addressed. People that sit around on the FOB in their PT gear drinking coffee, do not deserve the extra combat pay. Those that go outside the wire everyday without knowing they are coming back in hours later, do.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

76 posts, read 337,194 times
Read the topic, and have been skimming through the thread, and I don't see the problem with it. Anybody can raise their hand and serve their country, but how many are actually laying their life on the line, defending their country to the fullest?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
In the British Army you get an extra £90pw for being "In Theater". It matters not where you are or what your doing. Your there for a reason and in theory, and most commonly in practice, what your doing benefits the bloke at the FOB in the dirt and the goat sh*t (me).

Mostly we don't have a problem with others getting the same pay as us, it might be nice if it were graded but then your saying that one is of more value than another if they take more risk and i don't see that as being how it works to be honest with you.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
The defined areas that will classified as high or low will be ever changing. locking down a high threat defintion will not work and the definition must be alive. My fear is that we will see a peanut butter spread, i.e. afghan war gets a $100 while iraq participants get $50. A well thought out equation must be implemented that lists certain variables thus equaling a certain value.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
A bunch of combat/ military vets arguing over who deserves combat pay is kind of silly. Don't compare the grunt on the line to the REMF in the rear. Think about it compared to the guys sitting at home in Ft. middleofnowhere in the States, or the 99% who never serve.

I'd never begrudge someone combat pay.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
A bunch of combat/ military vets arguing over who deserves combat pay is kind of silly. Don't compare the grunt on the line to the REMF in the rear. Think about it compared to the guys sitting at home in Ft. middleofnowhere in the States, or the 99% who never serve.

I'd never begrudge someone combat pay.
But you call your fellow a REMF.......

I agree about the combat pay, however, you lost all respect from me calling anyone a REMF....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues