Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times

Advertisements

Is this necessary? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
hazing, when done correctly, is a great way to promote camaraderie and teamwork. The series of rituals and other items gives the new person a sense of accomplishment and belonging. I do not think "hazing" is the correct term as that denotes a negative. A better term would be "initiation" for example, while hazing would be on the side of excessive abuse.

So hazing, as an abuse, should never be tolerated. Initiations I think are great, provides fun and a sense of belonging, but of course in a technical sense, it is not necessary.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Hazing in the military
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Is this necessary? Why or why not?
Hazing | Define Hazing at Dictionary.com
Civilian Definition:
haz·ing
[hey-zing]
noun
subjection to harassment or ridicule.

http://www.stewart.army.mil/homepage/docs/hazing.pdf
Hazing is never allowed in the Army and is illegal under the Uniform Code Of Military Justice. It is most commonly charged under Article 93, UCMJ “Cruelty and Maltreatment,” but often violates other articles under the UCMJ as well.

http://www.dso.ufl.edu/sccr/hazing/d...icy-hazing.pdf
From AR 600-20 Army Command Policy

4–20. Hazing

The Army has been and continues to be a values-based organization where everyone is encouraged to do what is right by treating others as they should be treated—with dignity and respect. Hazing is fundamentally in opposition to our values and is prohibited.

a. Definition. Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby one military member or employee, regardless of Service or rank, unnecessarily causes another military member or employee, regardless of Service or rank, to suffer or be exposed to an activity that is cruel, abusive, oppressive, or harmful.
(1) Hazing includes, but is not limited, to any form of initiation "rite of passage" or congratulatory act that involves:
physically striking another in order to inflict pain; piercing another’s skin in any manner; forcing or requiring the consumption of excessive amounts of food, alcohol, drugs, or other substances; or encouraging another to engage in illegal, harmful, demeaning or dangerous acts. Soliciting or coercing another to participate in any such activity is also considered hazing. Hazing need not involve physical contact among or between military members or employees; it can be verbal or psychological in nature.
(2) When authorized by the chain of command and not unnecessarily cruel, abusive, oppressive, or harmful, the following activities do not constitute hazing:
(a) The physical and mental hardships associated with operations or operational training.

(b) Administrative corrective measures, including verbal reprimands and a reasonable number of repetitions of authorized physical exercises.

(c) Extra military instruction or training.

(d) Physical training (PT) or remedial PT.

(e) Other similar activities.
(3) Whether or not such actions constitute hazing, they may be inappropriate or violate relevant civilian personnel guidance, depending on the type of activities and the assigned duties of the employee involved.
b. Scope. Hazing is not limited to superior-subordinate relationships. It may occur between peers or even, under certain circumstances, may involve actions directed towards senior military personnel by those junior in rank or grade to them (for example, a training instructor hazing a student who is superior in rank). Hazing has at times occurred during graduation ceremonies or similar military "rites of passage." However, it may also happen in day-to-day military settings. It is prohibited in all cases, to include off-duty or "unofficial" celebrations or unit functions. Express or implied consent to hazing is not a defense to violation of this regulation.

c. Command responsibilities. Enforcement of this policy is a responsibility of commanders at all levels. Commanders will devote particular attention to graduation or advancement ceremonies as well as other occasions or settings that might put Soldiers at risk for voluntary or involuntary hazing. These situations will be supervised properly, respectful of all participants, perpetuate the best of the traditions that the Army embraces, and leave all participants and spectators feeling proud to be a member of or associated with the U.S. Army.
d. Command options. This paragraph is punitive with regards to Soldiers. Violators of this policy may be subject to UCMJ, ART. 92 (Failure to obey a lawful general order or regulation). Other applicable UCMJ articles include UCMJ, ART. 80 (Attempts), UCMJ, ART. 81 (Conspiracy), UCMJ, ART. 93 (Cruelty and maltreatment), UCMJ, ART. 124 (Maiming), UCMJ, ART. 128 (Assault), UCMJ, ART. 133 (Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman), and UCMJ, ART. 134 (Drunk and disorderly conduct, and/or Soliciting another to commit an offense). Civilian employees who violate this policy may also be subject to adverse action or discipline in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Commanders should seek the advice and counsel of their legal advisor when taking actions pursuant to this paragraph.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 03:09 PM

I'm aware that it's not allowed according to military rules, but I've heard that it happens anyway sometimes, especially in situations where someone's life could unnecessarily be put in danger. I'm wondering what people's opinions are on if at the end of the day they think it's helpful or harmful.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
but I've heard that it happens anyway sometimes,
That applies to murder, rape, child molestation, fraud, etc, etc, etc...

Quote:
I'm wondering what people's opinions are on if at the end of the day they think it's helpful or harmful.
It is illegal... My opinion does not really matter...

Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
Way back when - literally decades ago -"blood stripes" or "getting pinned" were known to happen. This was rank was made of metal and everyone in your squad or platoon (it differed by Units) punched your new rank into your skin.

I still have the scars as does my DH and all of our friends from the same time period. We were MPs and it did happen. I know that it is not supposed to still happen but I have still heard from sources that while not as commonplace it does still occur (not in the MP Corps but I have heard of it in a couple Arty & Signal Units).

My ex husband was a Marine (ages and ages ago) and they had "crossing the equator" ceremonies that were pretty awful.

I feel my scars and am happy that my children and grandchildren will never bear them.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Necessary? Maybe not. But a lot of it is mostly harmless but things have a way of getting out of control and escalating. I never went out on the boat, but I never would have done the Trusty Shellback ceremony. I would have been looked down on for not doing it, but most people looked down on pogues anyway so there wouldn't have been much of a difference.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Interesting. Thanks for answering!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Way back when - literally decades ago -"blood stripes" or "getting pinned" were known to happen. This was rank was made of metal and everyone in your squad or platoon (it differed by Units) punched your new rank into your skin.

I still have the scars as does my DH and all of our friends from the same time period. We were MPs and it did happen. I know that it is not supposed to still happen but I have still heard from sources that while not as commonplace it does still occur (not in the MP Corps but I have heard of it in a couple Arty & Signal Units).

My ex husband was a Marine (ages and ages ago) and they had "crossing the equator" ceremonies that were pretty awful.

I feel my scars and am happy that my children and grandchildren will never bear them.
I received my blood wings. It was a great moment. I heard people complain, but really its two little tiny pricks of the skin. Not that bad.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I received my blood wings. It was a great moment. I heard people complain, but really its two little tiny pricks of the skin. Not that bad.
Actually, it had three prongs per rank and of course you had both sides hit so it is six scars (at least it was for everyone I know/knew). Then there were the ones that became infected and often people of color had more significant scarring or developed keloids.

I went through it (and no, they didn't take it easy on me because I was a female!) and perversely there was indeed a feeling of pride, but that doesn't mean that I want any others to go through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues