Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times

Advertisements

In officer training there are times when every officer candidate is placed in charge of a group of other cadets or candidates; it's important to maintain composure and be in charge. To the OP, it would be inadvisable to be withdrawn during an initial selection board, no matter how high one's SAT, class ranking, and AFOQT or similar test results might be.

As a teenager I was often thought of as being an introvert and shy. However, because of some outstanding teachers in HS and and an emphasis on public speaking in college (ROTC and an elective course, among others) it became easy for me; in all honesty, it was actually fun. As a commander I was interviewed on TV, spoke in front of over 5000 people on multiple occasions, and had a lot of time in front of the wing personnel. I realize some people are mortified of being on the spot, but with practice it becomes easier.

I have known of a number of "extroverts" who have made lousy commanders. All bluster and no skills; in fact, their egos often clouded their decision-making process. On the other side, almost every operations officer I flew for/with was quiet and competent. Not a brassy outspoken extrovert, but a solid, intense individual who managed the flying operations with great aptitude and attitude. My first operational fighter squadron ops officer's quote sticks with me over 25 years later: "One should never pass up an opportunity to keep one's mouth shut."

I have seen quiet but competent officers grow up to be excellent commanders. In the early stages of a young officer's career, technical expertise is often more important; observing senior leaders and interacting with senior NCOs is where the learning takes place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
wouldn't worry. work hard, do your best, maintain your integrity and you will be fine. You learn to do whatever you have to do to get the job done.

Most army officers are Myers Briggs ISTJs. So you probably won't be alone in feeling introverted.

I came in as a WAC and was integrated into the Army as a 2nd Lt in 1976. The biggest problem I had wasn't personality type...no one else cares as long as you get the job done. The problem I had was that I was not an athlete. I could do the runs, the PT, obstacle courses and such but it took effort and wasn't fluid.

Also Army officers are very competitive even in a friendly way, it is all about the cream rising to the top. in all things.

So does that sound like it is something you want to do? Then research it and good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM

65 posts, read 437,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
In the Army you don't necessarily need leadership or managerial experience, you will learn it and be taught how to apply it correctly if you go through ROTC. The first two years of ROTC are basically like a free trial if you don't sign up for a military scholarship or some other means of contract, so if you don't like it you don't have to continue.

In the military you do work together a lot, but you have to in order to get the mission accompished. It is really not that bad. Sometimes you may have a hard ass boss that might make you feel incompetent but I think they are rare. Officers are typically more "gentleman-like" in their approach to other officers and will do their best to develop you as a junior officer.
Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I even fit for Officer. Officers need to be extrovert. And I'm not extrovert. This is in regards to mostly Air Force Officer. They don't even have IT/Computer jobs for Officer jobs. I'm not sure how Army Officers are compared with the Air Force or Navy Officers. I haven't been to ROTC and I think I am bit over-age to go to ROTC.

Thanks for your input. Hope all is well. I'll see whatever happens. Do you know any friends that were Army Officers?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
My advice at this point is to talk to recruiters from different stations. This one sounds lazy and either doesn't know how to do the paperwork or doesn't want to. Yes, the paperwork is different for Officer vs. Enlisted.

With the entire military downsizing, good luck on your plan to enlist and go earn a commission. That's against you as well as your age. I believe the cutoffs for age is usually around 33-34 or so. Don't think that you will get to your unit and they will just send you to OTS.
Hmm. I'll see. But from what I've been experiencing, it was hard get a hold of Officers Recruiting. That's why I was talking Sgt Thomas who does Recruiting for Officers. He said they are looking for a specifiic specialized field and need experience on that field. He said those who are applying in Officer field are mostly Doctors, Nurses, Chaplains, Business owners. Those of managerial or leadership. And the jobs I was asking for Officer field the ones I was interested in, he said those would be more Enlisted..so oh wells. Oh also I only have a 3.2 gpa on bachelor's degree. He said also requires 3.5 gpa as well.

I guess the entire military is downsizing because either Obama plans to cut down some expenditures from Military or something. Yes, the cut off Age is usually 33-34 depends. Oh wells whatever happens.

Thanks for wishing me good luck if I do plan on enlisting. lol.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would hope you have a better answer than that if you go before an officer selection/screening board...

The military can generally fix that shy and quiet issue if you are truly eager and willing to work with the team. Your ability to become an officer will/should/most likely will be apparent to those involved with training you.

Not sure what you mean. You either want to be in the military or you do not. This is part of the decision process which should get better as you mature and have experience. On advantage to the military is how fast people learn while in the military...

I hope does not seem to be too blunt, but it is in your best interest, in my experienced opinion...
Thanks. I'm still praying and thinking hard about it. My reason that I was interested in joining was to learn and update skills and learn alot of stuff that I wouldn't know about. And isn't working in a military like a working for a government job? I've been trying to apply for government jobs but it's hard. It takes a long time to be selected.

Thanks for the tip. By the way, i'm guessing there were some slow learners that became fast learners there? lol.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
In officer training there are times when every officer candidate is placed in charge of a group of other cadets or candidates; it's important to maintain composure and be in charge. To the OP, it would be inadvisable to be withdrawn during an initial selection board, no matter how high one's SAT, class ranking, and AFOQT or similar test results might be.

As a teenager I was often thought of as being an introvert and shy. However, because of some outstanding teachers in HS and and an emphasis on public speaking in college (ROTC and an elective course, among others) it became easy for me; in all honesty, it was actually fun. As a commander I was interviewed on TV, spoke in front of over 5000 people on multiple occasions, and had a lot of time in front of the wing personnel. I realize some people are mortified of being on the spot, but with practice it becomes easier.

I have known of a number of "extroverts" who have made lousy commanders. All bluster and no skills; in fact, their egos often clouded their decision-making process. On the other side, almost every operations officer I flew for/with was quiet and competent. Not a brassy outspoken extrovert, but a solid, intense individual who managed the flying operations with great aptitude and attitude. My first operational fighter squadron ops officer's quote sticks with me over 25 years later: "One should never pass up an opportunity to keep one's mouth shut."

I have seen quiet but competent officers grow up to be excellent commanders. In the early stages of a young officer's career, technical expertise is often more important; observing senior leaders and interacting with senior NCOs is where the learning takes place.
Thanks for your input about Officer Training. Have you been officer too? What branch are you in? How do you like what you are doing in your military branch service? I'm not ready to become Officer. Also there's no jobs I would want on the Officer field.

I'm not sure how would it be if an enlisted person had like 4 or 5 years of service and applies to become officer instead of a person of Non-prior service who got a degree and passed all the requirements of Officer (went straight to Officer) instead of start from the bottom (enlisted) and working up towards officer.

The Recruiter from Air Force in regards to the Officer Recruiting, he said the jobs I am mentioning, the officers don't have that kind of job and are looking something like Nurses, Doctors, Chaplains, Pilots, or in higher management.

But I know there's a selection process when turning all those paper works from transcripts, resume, degree, etc And after that, there's interview. I would not do well if I was not in that route. Maybe If I had more experience and knowledge, I can apply for commission officer. I have also heard about there some that tried officer candidate school and some have dropped out.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
wouldn't worry. work hard, do your best, maintain your integrity and you will be fine. You learn to do whatever you have to do to get the job done.

Most army officers are Myers Briggs ISTJs. So you probably won't be alone in feeling introverted.

I came in as a WAC and was integrated into the Army as a 2nd Lt in 1976. The biggest problem I had wasn't personality type...no one else cares as long as you get the job done. The problem I had was that I was not an athlete. I could do the runs, the PT, obstacle courses and such but it took effort and wasn't fluid.

Also Army officers are very competitive even in a friendly way, it is all about the cream rising to the top. in all things.

So does that sound like it is something you want to do? Then research it and good luck in what ever you decide.

Thanks for your tip and input. Thanks I'll pray hard and discern if joining military is good for me. As for Officer position, I thought at first it sounds cool for a Non prior service to join and go to OCS or OTS in the Navy Reserve lol hence the title and rank. I was thinking in my mind that's cool, go to OCS and no need for bootcamp, hehe..but then I don't have some experience in the field i want, so bleh..

Then I also inquired about the Officer program at Air Force Reserve. The Srgt from Air Force called me and answered my questions about the Officer program. He said it's for mostly doctors, nurses, business owners, chaplains or someone from management or higher. And the jobs I would want if I was an Officer, there not Officer positions more like management. The jobs I want are more for enlisted - that's what he said.

But oh wells. I'll have decide...lol.

I wonder how Army Bootcamp is like. I hear mixed feelings on other forums about love and hate the army and love and hat the miltary and etc..lol

And thanks for the good luck.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webgirl01 View Post
And isn't working in a military like a working for a government job? I've been trying to apply for government jobs but it's hard. It takes a long time to be selected.
No military duty is different than a government job. When you enter military service you take an oath. It is not a job, it is a duty. The U.S. Military has their own laws, the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). You can't just quit when you want to.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM

196 posts, read 231,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webgirl01 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I even fit for Officer. Officers need to be extrovert. And I'm not extrovert. This is in regards to mostly Air Force Officer. They don't even have IT/Computer jobs for Officer jobs. I'm not sure how Army Officers are compared with the Air Force or Navy Officers. I haven't been to ROTC and I think I am bit over-age to go to ROTC.

Thanks for your input. Hope all is well. I'll see whatever happens. Do you know any friends that were Army Officers?

Eh, I am definitely not an extrovert and I do fine. You just have to be able to relate to people and plan and decide well.

In the Army you can do IT related work as an officer if you decide to become a functional area officer 24 or 53 series.

I believe someone else replied to the age limit for ROTC and I don't know what it is off the top of my head. As Army Guy said, you can talk to either enlisted recruiters or ROTC recruiters and they should be a wealth of info.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Cozzy,

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're talking about FA's, aren't you looking at her being at least a 1LT (P)?

You figure it's about X number of months waiting to start OCS/OTS and then however long O school takes. Then it's follow on training for X number of months and then time as O1 and O2, which right now is about 43 months commissioned time in the Army before O3 and she's looking at at least 4 years until she can reach the FA time hack.

Is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues