Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Marines' new alcohol policy strictest in U.S. military - Washington Times

Has alcohol drinking while on the job gotten this bad that the military would impliment this policy? Would this policy also apply to officers all the way up to the generals and admirals who regularly have drinks even in areas where it's normally not allowed,...like on a ship while at sea. Though I never drank while on duty, I did see some guys brew bilge wine in the engineroom. Our ship also had some guys kicked out the Navy for being drunk on a flight deck security watch while on route to Bosnia in 1992. They were caught because one of them decided to go for a swim. The amphib fleet commodore and ship's captain were not happy to have been awoken at 2am for man overboard because a drunk wanted to go swimming. One of the four had less than a year left till an honorable discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Excessive...

This is what happens when one dui under an officers command can make or break his career. The way officers do promotions is completely screwed up to the point where they have to micromanage 500 adults 24x7 and this is what it's leading to.

I showed up a few times for duty with the previous nights spirits on my breath. My chief told me privately during my indoc meeting with him that I better never go to sick call for a hangover, his policy was if you drank you paid the consequences the following day at work with a hangover. The biggest thing was if you drank you worked the next day.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
This is just more stupidity as part of the RIF.

I would bet anything this would not occur during the 2004+ years when the military was stop lossing everyone and pleading for volunteers.

Since the forces are RIFing many people, they also increase and adhere to standards to the level of being absurd, I saw this during the beginning of the Clinton years; then I saw basically a reversal after 9/11 where someone would have to basically commit a felony to get booted out.

It is not clear to me what they call "duty". Official duty when I was in was meaning you stood watch and were armed, or had the potential to be; or some other level of responsibity as a watch standard. A normal work day was not considered duty, and we would even have a drink during lunch sometimes. Being drunk of course was forbidden, but I never heard of someone actually being drunk at work, though I am sure it has happened.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
But how will they deal with false positive readings from things like alcohol based mouthwash? Also, will this rule be equally enforced or will the usual exemptions be made for birds and stars (Navy captain & admirals)? I was on the Sixth Fleet Flag ship homeported in Gaeta, Italy. Virtually every port we pulled into, the Admiral threw a diplomatic party in which very expensive high quality wine, champagne, and other forms of alcohol were freely served (in 1995, some were about $500 a bottle and many cases were used per port and unfinished open bottles were poured over the side of the ship).

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
But how will they deal with false positive readings from things like alcohol based mouthwash? Also, will this rule be equally enforced or will the usual exemptions be made for birds and stars (Navy captain & admirals)? I was on the Sixth Fleet Flag ship homeported in Gaeta, Italy. Virtually every port we pulled into, the Admiral threw a diplomatic party in which very expensive high quality wine, champagne, and other forms of alcohol were freely served (in 1995, some were about $500 a bottle and many cases were used per port and unfinished open bottles were poured over the side of the ship).
They will not care about false readings, depending of course on goals of the command and how liked the person is. Violations will be NJP, the burden of evidence is much lower, to non-existent for NJP.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
The fact is, the U.S. Army had an alcohol problem identified several times over the past 40 years. We recently had an Air Force member kill a civilian while driving DUI in here Albuquerque. We had a Warrant Officer take a GOV and drove drunk in Korea and crashed while trying to evade local law enforcement in 1984. A good friend of mine, an Army Sergeant Major turned himself in for alcohol treatment in the late 70's when he was an E-7, completed the program, and made it to E-9 and retired. He pulled himself out of a bad situation. Another close friend got stopped for DUI on a post in CONUS in the early 90's and because he had over 20 years service, the Commanding General (yes, another officer), made him a deal, apply for retirement within 10 days and commit to community service for an unrecalled period. Almost 20 years later he still does some community work with young people.

Please quit bashing officers because you apparently did not like them. And if an officer has a large amount of DUI's he has every right to attempt to fix the situation.

This is a discussion forum not a soap opera.

Your tales may be different than mine. We do not need a bunch of drunks in the military. I encountered to many in my 22 active years. Yes, I do drink, about three beers a month... I am available almost 24/7 to cart drunk military around if need be. But if you puke in my BFWAV (Big Fat White Air-Conditioned Van), you pay me what it cost to clean to mess...

The article is about:
"The Marine Corps’ new on-duty standard for drinking alcohol is so strict that less than one drink at lunch would trigger a “positive” and get a warrior in hot water. The Washington Times reported earlier this week that the Corps sent a Dec. 12 message to commanders officially beginning mandatory breath tests for all 197,000 Marines twice each year."
Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-27-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 02:24 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
This is force shaping plain and simple. A way to reduce the size of the force.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This is just more stupidity as part of the RIF.

^^^^^ This.

It's just another excuse to kick people out. They've already reduced the time period until you reach tenure, re-enlistments and promotions are already being denied for DUI and other UCMJ violations OUTSIDE of grade. They are already taking away BAH and Com rats of single Marines with prior approved BAH own right.

Also this isn't just soley dealing with RIF, but also the projected cut in money from sequestration. Being in my MOS and at the level I am I'm seeing that talk all over place of people preparing for the worst when it comes to that. The tax cuts aren't the only thing disappearing on the first if a deal isn't reached.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
My apologies to bellhead. My comments were not directed to him.

Rich

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I served from mid-70s to mid-90s and saw the policies change with every change of command. Usually, it's just a personal agenda by the new commandant. Change of command is more than a new body in the chair. It will change again. Improvise, overcome, adapt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues