Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,157 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is going to be going into the Navy he has always wanted to ever since he was a little kid, because his dad was and was in the Navy SEALS so he wants to try to be a Navy SEAL. I am just wondering what all he is going to have to go through and what I am going to have to go through? like not talking to him and how much I will see him and the chances of him being close. Also he is going in to help with school cause his aunt and uncle won't pay for collage so when will he be going to collage and can he choose where he wants to go? Any answeres or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Qualifications For The SEAL Program:

By law, only men are eligible to apply for the SEAL program. Upon joining the Navy, you must:
  • Meet specific eyesight requirements: 20/40 best eye; 20/70 worst eye; correctable to 20/25 with no color blindness
  • Meet the minimum Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) score: GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220
  • Be 28 years old or younger
  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Pass a physical examination required for divers
Continue on to this U.S. Navy web page: Navy SEALs : Special Operations: Careers & Jobs: Navy.com

----------

To become a SEAL, you must be in the Navy. There are three paths you can choose from to become a Navy SEAL:

Path 1: Enlist as a civilian (Path #1 if you've never been in the military)
Path 2: Enlist while in the Navy and apply for a transfer
Path 3: Enlist from another branch of military service

Navy SEAL Enlisted Application Steps - SEALSWCC.COM | Official website U.S. Navy SEALs ( SEALSWCC.COM ) is a U.S. Government website provided as a public service by Commander, Naval Special Warfare Command and operated by the Naval Special Warfare Recruiting Directorate. Information presented on this website is public information.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-25-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
He'll have to apply and be accepted into the SEAL program. Him not getting to talk to you will be the least of his worries while in training (if he is selected). There are several documentaries about the program and its requirements. I doubt he'll have time for school if he is a SEAL. They deploy a lot.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,093,175 times
They have a show replayed often on the Military Channel. Have him watch it. They go through HELL week and that is just the beginning. Out of 100 there will be lucky 20 or less to graduate. It is very difficult.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
If he makes it, you won't see him much due to his job. If you get married, you will most likely end up divorced. If it is his dream he should pursue it but have a back up plan in case he does not make it.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,544 times
Is he out of his mind? If he gets hurt on active duty, he has a long row to hoe to prove he was hurt on active duty and who is going to take care of him when he can't work and take care of his family? Not the military. Not in my experience. No, my family has to take care of me because I can't earn a living. If I ask for help, I am treated like I am trying to fudge off. Nobody should consider the military unless they have some way to take care of themselves and their families when they become disabled.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:21 AM

408 posts, read 723,174 times
Default When enlisted Navy personnel join the Seals...

do they have to fulfill the Seals contract along with the Navy contract they already signed? Or do they just serve out their Seals contract? For ex. If somebody signed a Navy contract to serve active duty as a firefighter for 4 years. After his first year he decides he wants to be a Seal. Will he have to serve 9 years active duty (3 left on his original contract + 6 for Seals) or will he simply have to serve 6 years active duty with the Seals, since I'm assuming his Seals contract will supersede his previous Navy contract.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
The United States Navy's SEALs, are U.S. Military personnel. In essence they follow orders as all military personnel do. They may incur various duty obligations, but they still are U.S. Military personnel. There is a eight year Military Service Obligation for all U.S. Military personnel. There could be other obligations as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
You do get that the SEALs are part of the Navy, right?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM

408 posts, read 723,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You do get that the SEALs are part of the Navy, right?
Yes I am. I'm surprised nobody understood the question. When you enlist in the Navy you sign a 8 year contract which has an active duty and reserve component. The active duty part however is usually 4 or 5 years depending on the rate. For the Seals however the active duty component is always 6 years.

My question is if somebody has already enlisted in the Navy and then decides he wants to be a Seal will he have to serve active duty for 6 years plus whatever active duty obligation he has left in his original contract or does he only have to serve the terms of his Seal contract.

Bottom line if somebody already in the Navy signs a Seals contract what happens to his old contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues