Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Nation can't afford military's generous retirement system

The United States can’t sustain the pay, allowances, retirement and health benefits that the all-volunteer military force and their families enjoy, according to a study by the Defense Department’s Reserve Forces Policy Board.
WALTER PINCUS
Published: Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:05 a.m. PST

The United States can’t sustain the pay, allowances, retirement and health benefits that the all-volunteer military force and their families enjoy, according to a study by the Defense Department’s Reserve Forces Policy Board.

“The all-in cost of the all-volunteer force is one of the time-ticking bombs that could explode our defense capabilities if not dealt with responsibly,” said Arnold Punaro, chairman of the board, a former top staffer on the Senate Armed Services Committee and retired Marine Corps major general.

Read more here: Nation can't afford military's generous retirement system | Other voices - The News Tribune

I see a few minor errors, but overall, the article seems comprehensive. Now it's a matter of seeing what changes will be implemented...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,794 times
Then let MG Punaro put his money where his mouth is and be the first one to give up his bennies. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Default They need to refocus priorities

Here is my take. Instead of spending millions on the new strike fighter that can't make muster put that towards people. Instead of replacing the M1 tank with the next gen do upgrades in stages to current equipment. How about not putting so many boats out to sea? So many places to make real cuts.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM

185 posts, read 405,878 times
Ahhh..... the hand-wringing begins yet again.

I'd like to know exactly what the commissary has to do with anything. It is an INEXPENSIVE way to improve morale for those currently serving, and to keep faith with and show appreciation to those who did their time.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Here is my take. Instead of spending millions on the new strike fighter that can't make muster put that towards people. Instead of replacing the M1 tank with the next gen do upgrades in stages to current equipment. How about not putting so many boats out to sea? So many places to make real cuts.
Agreed. The US military does not need yet another unnecessary piece of equipment rusting away on some base just because it's good corporate welfare for some contractor in some congressman's district. These people need to get their priorities in check, it's the men and women of the military that make all the defense difference in today's world.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
So we can't afford to fund the "generous" retirement for the 17% of those who have served 20+ years defending this country. What about those who get out before then and receive 0%?

We can afford to keep funding a unionized post office that constantly loses money and provides lackluster service?

We can afford to constantly give money away to those who do not want to work?

We can afford to keep giving money to Pakistan while they contribute to the death of Americans?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
I'll start to listen when they cut all the welfare...

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
The way I see it, we send our young people to fight, get wounded and die, when they return they should get free college education, free housing and benefits for life.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The way I see it, we send our young people to fight, get wounded and die, when they return they should get free college education, free housing and benefits for life.

Right now I'd settle for them just giving me my ^&*() Appointment for another Cortisone shot!!!!

It HURTS!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Just another note on that. Let's use my time in Iraq for example. I am a mechanic. I fix broke stuff. Instead of sending a unit like ours out there to fix the broke stuff they contract out to Kellogg Browning and Root (KBR) and for each mechanic KBR sends that person gets paid 6 figures. Where us lowly soldiers get paid hazard duty pay and still have to go retrieve the broke stuff on the highway. KBR won't. Just a complete waste of money since those contractors won't go outside the wire to get the broke stuff. They have to fly from FOB to FOB instead of taking the vehicles they have to service on the roads. Just too damned dangerous. I have a friend who while in Afghanistan is a pretty good radio mechanic. Well he couldn't work on the equipment. Only contractors and they took their sweet ole time fixing stuff. Needless to say that some vehicles that were supposed to have commo left the wire without. How's that for service? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues