Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM

13 posts, read 31,670 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching English in China for the past two year and I'm planning on returning back to the states this January. My dream job upon returning to the US would be teaching history, as it was my major in college, but with the job market what it is right now I don't think I have a great shot at getting that opportunity. However, working for the US Coast Guard has always been something that has interested me greatly as I believe they are our last line of defense & security. Any one have any first (or second) hand experience on how life in the Coast Guard is? I will be a twenty five year old with an university degree in history and two years experience teaching and living in China (if any of that makes a difference). Any suggestions on where I could be a good fit based on that info? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Personally I think that you should look for an officer program in one of the armed forces and put your college education to work. However, it doesn't hurt to spend some time as an enlisted person and see how the other half lives and if you really prefer military life and that particular branch.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc89 View Post
However, working for the US Coast Guard has always been something that has interested me greatly as I believe they are our last line of defense & security.
If you could get in, you would not be working for the Coast Guard. You would be a part of it. For better or for worse.

I trully do not know what you mean by "as I believe they are our last line of defense & security"...

The United States Coast Guard is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. It is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President at any time, or by Congress during time of war.

Quote:
Any one have any first (or second) hand experience on how life in the Coast Guard is?
I've met retirees, and I have met active duty Coast Guardsman over the years.

Quote:
Any suggestions on where I could be a good fit based on that info? Thanks.
I suggest you read through these two official Coast Guard web sites. There are a lot of options available:
UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:
US Coast Guard Home
Good luck to you!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM

534 posts, read 904,701 times
As a retiree from the Coast Guard (aviation), i look back fondly on my time.

The CG is a small service that does more than the average person knows. The other services seemed rather corporate and without a soul. My crew, while flying all the time was more like a small family. You had to be able to trust those that flew on the plane with you with your life. You learn alot about peoples failings in a close situation like that.

Are you able to go out in the middle of a storm to be part of a team to save someone you know nothing of? Can you direct people in the most dire situations? Can you manage limited resources to meet expectations? Are you tech savy? Can you work well in unusual situations under stress? How will do deal with long work hours, low pay, high expectations from your CO?

I envy you in your pursuit of a Coast Guard Career. Its not easy, but its worth a life

Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
As a retiree from the Coast Guard (aviation),
I should have known!

Quote:
i look back fondly on my time.
The farther back I look the better the memory.

I spent a year killing people and three years saving lives, all tolled I would have preferred to have spent all four doing the latter, despite that fact that the first year (sea duty) the military BS wasn't nearly as oppressive. Because I too was attached to a aviation unit, the ratio of officers with not much time on their hands was a cause of constant angst, with a few exceptions. Frankly I would have stayed if they had made it civil service.

But that was a long time ago in a place not far enough away.

Anyway if you answer no to any of these, do the 35,000 (that's it) perpetually under budget Coasties a favor if you can't

...go out in the middle of a storm to be part of a team to save someone you know nothing of? Can't you direct people in the most dire situations, manage limited resources to meet expectations, can't work well in unusual situations under stress? How will do deal with long work hours, low pay, high expectations from your CO.

Please continue your teaching career.

Unlike the other services, the last 12 years excepted, you will be asked to meet those challenges on a fairly regular basis. There aren't many places in the Coast Guard where you can duck out of harms way. It's like being a fireman, a cop and a member of the U.S. military. The Navy doesn't have to go out in 40ft seas to pick up a twit on a sailboat, navigate some of the ugliest shoals and inlets, fly in to a freaking fog bank to pick-up some diver who can't figure out his decompression tables, or try to lift some guy hurt on a fishing boat in 40kt winds while trying to thread a basket through fishing line just as you hit bingo fuel.

Another gem from MCBM Horner, "You got to go out but you don't have to come back."

But having said that, from what I've seen of late, the Guard is leagues far more sophisticated today that it was back in my time. Actually having dedicated rescue swimmers, trained harbor security personnel and far more mission dedicated aircraft, boats and ships makes me green with envy for younger Coasties.

But like I said the further I am the better the memories, and for all the things that I hated, I remind myself that I was the flight medic on 30+ life saving missions a couple of which almost killed me and if I had it to do all over, I would't have changed a thing...well maybe a couple of things like that fight in boot camp...

Anyway enough rambling.

HM3 O.V. Catto
WHEC Rush and CGAS Brklyn.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM

557 posts, read 736,852 times
Current fifteen year Coastie reservist and prior active duty. Our Motto Semper Paratus should be more like Semper Gumbie..be flexible. Out of all the services we have the worst budget which gets worse every year. I dont think being under DHS helps us and we are currently on a continuing resolution. The DOD budget took a nice hit but no where near the cuts we took. As of late the people who we promote have had real leadership issues as to demonstrate our mortality rate during operations in the last five years. I still love the Coast Guard, but if I had to do it over again I would join the Air Force..First rate everything and alot of money and probably more opportunity.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 AM

534 posts, read 904,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I should have known!

The farther back I look the better the memory.

I spent a year killing people and three years saving lives, all tolled I would have preferred to have spent all four doing the latter, despite that fact that the first year (sea duty) the military BS wasn't nearly as oppressive. Because I too was attached to a aviation unit, the ratio of officers with not much time on their hands was a cause of constant angst, with a few exceptions. Frankly I would have stayed if they had made it civil service.

But that was a long time ago in a place not far enough away.

Anyway if you answer no to any of these, do the 35,000 (that's it) perpetually under budget Coasties a favor if you can't

...go out in the middle of a storm to be part of a team to save someone you know nothing of? Can't you direct people in the most dire situations, manage limited resources to meet expectations, can't work well in unusual situations under stress? How will do deal with long work hours, low pay, high expectations from your CO.

Please continue your teaching career.

Unlike the other services, the last 12 years excepted, you will be asked to meet those challenges on a fairly regular basis. There aren't many places in the Coast Guard where you can duck out of harms way. It's like being a fireman, a cop and a member of the U.S. military. The Navy doesn't have to go out in 40ft seas to pick up a twit on a sailboat, navigate some of the ugliest shoals and inlets, fly in to a freaking fog bank to pick-up some diver who can't figure out his decompression tables, or try to lift some guy hurt on a fishing boat in 40kt winds while trying to thread a basket through fishing line just as you hit bingo fuel.

Another gem from MCBM Horner, "You got to go out but you don't have to come back."

But having said that, from what I've seen of late, the Guard is leagues far more sophisticated today that it was back in my time. Actually having dedicated rescue swimmers, trained harbor security personnel and far more mission dedicated aircraft, boats and ships makes me green with envy for younger Coasties.

But like I said the further I am the better the memories, and for all the things that I hated, I remind myself that I was the flight medic on 30+ life saving missions a couple of which almost killed me and if I had it to do all over, I would't have changed a thing...well maybe a couple of things like that fight in boot camp...

Anyway enough rambling.

HM3 O.V. Catto
WHEC Rush and CGAS Brklyn.
Weren't you the guy that handed out the box lunches and Motrin ( medicine of choice for coast guard docs)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues