Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 06:22 AM

354 posts, read 281,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Outlays for military retirement are about $55 billion. In a budget of $3.65 TRILLION, on income of $3.2 TRILLION.
http://federal-budget.insidegov.com/l/120/2017-Estimate

So military retirement outlays are under 2% of the entire bloated budget. THAT is the price we pay for the thin green line that defends our nation, right or wrong, well- or poorly-led.
Going off on a tangent, but Federal individual income tax alone (1.48 Trillion) brings in enough to pay all discretionary spending (1.1 Trillion), plus the interest on the debt (229 Billion), and have a little left over.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/revenues/
https://www.nationalpriorities.org/b...-101/spending/

What puts the entire budget in the hole is spending on Medicare & SS (2.33 Trillion) is vastly more than what the taxes for those bring in (1.07 Trillion).

I have to agree with those that say tweaking the military pension won't solve that, heck it probably won't even make a difference. Scrapping the cap on FICA tax would IMHO make a much bigger difference. I expect to see that happen in the not too distant future, it wouldn't even be all that hard of a political sale as it'd be a tax increase on the "rich".

I also agree with those that say the BRS might be small step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
The bulk of military, in particular enlisted, never join to make it a career and usually do short term service (6 years these days) and then either get out with some benefits such as the GI bill or go into the reserve component.

I personally think it is fair, although as a civilian, I wouldn't complain if part of my tax dollars go to the separation pay like several posters suggested. I think combat veterans should receive some kind of "retirement" benefit as well no matter how many years they served. After all, ONLY a small percentage of service members went to combat zone, so they should be well taken care of.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-29-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A military pension IS NOT your last year salary.

It is based on your last base-pay.

If you served for 20 years then you get 50% of your last base-pay.

That is my fault.I am a civilian never having served I miss spoke as to the term relating to "Base Pay".To reiterate I still don't believe that is good enough.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
That is my fault.I am a civilian never having served I miss spoke as to the term relating to "Base Pay".To reiterate I still don't believe that is good enough.
And it changes. Mine is based on the average of my last three years of service. And they tack on an extra 2.5 percent for every year over 20 served.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And it changes. Mine is based on the average of my last three years of service. And they tack on an extra 2.5 percent for every year over 20 served.
If you don't mind what branch of service were you in?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:47 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
thus it would make sense to extend a couple years as an E-7 if you just obtained that nearing the end of your planned 20 year career ?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
thus it would make sense to extend a couple years as an E-7 if you just obtained that nearing the end of your planned 20 year career ?
That comes naturally with the promotion, yes it make sense to do so.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
If you don't mind what branch of service were you in?
They are all the same. The difference is in when one entered military service. At the time one enters service--regardless of service--the retirement requirements and benefits are set.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
sure would!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
but for those of us who have already done our part and retired, are we being too demanding of our country?
First of all, thank you for your service.

As a fellow veteran, I do not feel retired military are being overcompensated, especially retirees. Anybody who disagrees and feel that military veterans/retirees receive too much in the way of benefits, I gladly invite them to enlist, grab a rifle, and join their fellow Americans at Camp Stanley, Camp Casey, or Kadena Air Base...all located in South Korea. Or join the few troops that are still in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Any US citizen, that is of right mind and physically able, can serve in their country's military. If you have voluntarily signed up to risk your life for my safety and freedom, I am more than happy for my tax dollars to go towards the many benefits you have earned.

My only issue is that we stop adding money (Trump wants an additional 54 BILLION towards military spending) to more 10 million dollar planes and spend more money on the VA.

I cannot tell you how many issues I've had with the VA, as far as education benefits, doctor appointments, customer service, etc. VA hospitals are falling apart and it takes some veterans months to get an appointment, but Trump wants to spend 54 BILLION on more airplanes....as if we don't have enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues