Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 PM

402 posts, read 687,471 times

Advertisements

Corps. learn to spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,026 times
Atlaw,

I've heard them referred to as the Corps and the Core, and your comment wasn't necessary. Learn some respect.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
9 yrs active Marine Corps, 20yrs Air Force Nat'l Guard. For your family's sake, go AF. As mentioned, better locations/accommodations/opportunities. I've spent time on AF bases, Dover, Shepard, Kadena. The AF is going to take better care of your family.

Figure out what your passions are in life and see how that translates to the military. Marine Aviation will get you on an acft carrier.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,346,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus1062 View Post
Atlaw,

I've heard them referred to as the Corps and the Core, and your comment wasn't necessary. Learn some respect.
Corps is pronounced Core. Learn some humility.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:

I'm guessing the Marines might be a better fit for you and your attitude.

Marines are a lot of rah-rah, ain't-we-tough guys. You'd probably love it.

Air Force is more about quiet competence, getting the job done without a lot of chest thumping.

My favorite military photos from the last few years are the ones of the USAF air traffic controllers managing planes bringing relief supplies into Haiti. No big whoop-dee-do. Just getting the job done.

http://chamorrobible.org/images/phot...0123-large.jpg

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Atlaw,

I've heard them referred to as the Corps and the Core.
The correct spelling is corps
The correct pronunciation is kawrz or kohrz
Click To Listen To an MP3 Sample

Corps | Define Corps at Dictionary.com
Quote:
corps
[kawr, kohr]

noun, plural corps [kawrz, kohrz] (Show IPA) 1. Military.
  1. a military organization consisting of officers and enlisted personnel or of officers alone: the U.S. Marine Corps; corps of cadets.
  2. a military unit of ground combat forces consisting of two or more divisions and other troops.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,054,672 times
In my opinion, with all the years my late husband was a marine and my current fiancé is a marine, you will not find another branch in the military with the close connection that you find among marines They are friends for life and they will take care of each other for life, including their spouses. This is something more than a job to them.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:58 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
In my opinion, with all the years my late husband was a marine and my current fiancé is a marine, you will not find another branch in the military with the close connection that you find among marines They are friends for life and they will take care of each other for life, including their spouses. This is something more than a job to them.
Marines do seem to have more of a "band of brothers" bond.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Well, first you need to know what the service is called before they will let you in.

It is the United States Marine Corps.

A personal observation from a Navy veteran who has a job that puts me in touch with many vets...when I meet veterans of the Army they say "I was in the Army", when I meet Navy veterans they say "I was in the Navy", Marines say "I'm was a Marine" or "I was in the Corps". The Air Force vets for the most part are not so quick to volunteer what branch they were in and you normally have to pry it out of them. It makes me wonder if they are not as proud of their service as the other branches or feel others will not appreciate their service?

At the American Legion you can always tell the Air Force vets because you have to specifically ask them what branch they were in because they don't advertise it or volunteer the information.
Not the ones I know, and certainly not me.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Hey all,

So I'm looking to join the military and I'm torn between these two branches. I want to be the best, and have the pride(Marines) but I do have a family and the Air Force apparently is better there. I have a son, and am about to marry my girlfriend so Inow I can enter. While there's more risk with the Marines, I feel the sense of pride jumps out at me and I also want my son to look up to his dad. Not sure which to do. Any advice?

Thanks
I'm Air Force but spent my last 10 years in joint units. When I was assigned to Pearl Harbor, my boss was a Marine colonel and I had soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines working for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed being a senior NCO among Marines--it was more satisfying that being a senior NCO among airmen, for sure. I have encouraged some young men to joint the Air Force, and some others to join the Marine Corps...and I'd place both in preference over the Army or Navy (even though nearly all the other men in my family were Army).

In your situation, however, I would point you to the Air Force. As great as Marines are, the Marine Corps is for single people until they reach staff NCO grades. Being junior enlisted in the Marine Corps is really not conducive to a happy family life.

Air Force life is much more amenable to a family in many different ways. If I were you, in fact, I'd follow my own strategy: Constantly request extended long overseas tours to keep your family together. Yeah, you'll spend a lot of time overseas (I spent more than half my 26-year career in the Far East), but it will be in family-friendly areas and you'll avoid remote tours (but may have some in-theater TDYs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues