Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,465 times

Advertisements

Do you veterans think America should retract much of its military from abroad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Do you veterans think America should retract much of its military from abroad?
Debating this would be a different topic.
One of the greatest appeals of joining the US military is the opportunity to travel and see other countries for extended stays without worrying about expenses.
I guess that only those who have been stationed abroad (especially Europe) can relate to the experience. Newcomers arrive in a unit not knowing anyone. The first two questions are; what's your name and where are you from? Within several weeks friendships form which may last for many years after the service. I was from Chicago, and it was the first time in my life that I met guys from other parts of the US. We went out almost every night to various bars and Gasthauses, drinking German beer (often to excess), listening to live music, and socializing with the local people. We talked about many things, mostly about friends (girlfriends) at home, but never had any politically oriented discussions. The Germans liked to try out their English, picking up new words and phrases, while the GIs learned a few German words. Most of the Americans who were stationed in Germany look back on that period with a positive attitude about many good times. I'm sure anyone who has been there can tell many stories of the people and situations they encountered.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,465 times
Thanks for sharing your good experience being stationed in Germany. That is all well. However, the military is not (or should not be) stationed overseas because it is an excellent opportunity for young people across America to make friends. There are other ways to meet Americans and foreigners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Debating this would be a different topic.
One of the greatest appeals of joining the US military is the opportunity to travel and see other countries for extended stays without worrying about expenses.
I guess that only those who have been stationed abroad (especially Europe) can relate to the experience. Newcomers arrive in a unit not knowing anyone. The first two questions are; what's your name and where are you from? Within several weeks friendships form which may last for many years after the service. I was from Chicago, and it was the first time in my life that I met guys from other parts of the US. We went out almost every night to various bars and Gasthauses, drinking German beer (often to excess), listening to live music, and socializing with the local people. We talked about many things, mostly about friends (girlfriends) at home, but never had any politically oriented discussions. The Germans liked to try out their English, picking up new words and phrases, while the GIs learned a few German words. Most of the Americans who were stationed in Germany look back on that period with a positive attitude about many good times. I'm sure anyone who has been there can tell many stories of the people and situations they encountered.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
You're right about meeting other Americans and foreigners in ways other than the military.
I was in Germany 1966-67. At that time European vacations for Americans were somewhat costly and few airlines offered reasonably priced fares. That all changed in the early 1970s, when more airlines flew the USA-Europe route. More people took advantage of the lower fares. Now, international travel is much easier and affordable. In the 90s, when looking at the planes at the Frankfurt, Germany, airport, one could see Delta, United, USAir, Northwest, etc.
Also, most GIs are young, usually between 19 to 22. They haven't yet traveled much within the US and therefore wouldn't meet other Americans as easily. Some join a year or two after high school. It's much different meeting someone by chance for a few hours than seeing the same people for several months or years.
Although most GIs liked their time overseas they were still glad to return home to their friends and families. Some also married and brought home German wives.
I was in a Pershing Missile unit. There is an active organization of veterans of Pershing Missile units that have reunions almost every year. These are mostly career GIs, and the ceremonies are lots of flag waving, speeches about having "won" the Cold War, and various other conservative activities. I am not interested in such a group and wouldn't even consider attending. For me the memories are more about having had a good time in Germany and meeting people. I would gladly meet someone who was stationed in the same town.
Since the demise of the Warsaw Pact, American forces have been greatly reduced in Germany, but I doubt if they will ever withdraw completely. Ramstein Airbase and Wiesbaden Hospital service many wounded from the current operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,637 times
Smile Looking for Black Americans in Germany in the 70s

I lived in Germany in the 70s. We have a strong alumni group if you will and are looking to add others. I lived in Hanau and spent time in Frankfurt as well. Other than the others who I am in contact with, we are looking for GIs from Pioneer Kaserne, Caldwell, Hutier, Platen, and others who remember the Hanau E.M. Club, The Skyline, The Plantation Club, The Evening Star Theater, and concerts at The Jahrhunderthalle and Stadthalle.

I am a Black female in my early 50s now so this would be the age group I am looking to connect with. We were heavy into 70s Soul music and the groups. We even had our own "home-grown" groups like Critical Point, 100% Pure Poison, Love & Passion. Where are you guys?

There are about 30 of us who are are in contact that are looking for you. Please connect. Aufweidersehen.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Thumbs up Lets hear it for our Vets, Open chat thread

I just wanted to start this thread for all of you that have and are serving. this thread is for you, please feel free to jump in and speak what's on your minds.
There many of us here that served and many that are serving this great Nation of ours here on the home front, (the ones who never put a Uniform on), but never the less are serving right along side of you in spirit and behind the scene support.
Please come on in and lets sit down, kick off our boots?shoes and chat for awhile.

Everyone is welcome.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Great idea EB....Let me be the first to say thank you to ALL servicemembers who have served,currently serving and to the incredible families that are behind our servicemembers.

I would love to hear some of your stories because the media has done you wrong and I would love to see that turn around and here is a good place to start.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks CW,

We can't thank our active and reserve service member enough for what they and their families are going through. Even the civilians that are on here who have never served, but are supporting our men and women in uniform have something to say and we'd love to hear from them, too. They're the reason why we do what we do and stand those watches and guard posts.

But most of all, it's the Mothers on our country who we should honor the most. They make the greatest sacrifices when a child is lost in an armed conflict that the politicians fail to divert.

We the willing do the impossible (Servicemen), for the ungrateful (Politicians), with nothing and for nothing. So they may have so much and we may have so little. (Just look in the VA Hospitals)

Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
I cannot imagine a mother who has lost her son/daughter to the ultimate sacrifice.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I cannot imagine a mother who has lost her son/daughter to the ultimate sacrifice.
The sad part is that most politicians don't care about them, or they would find a better way to resolve these conflicts. Maybe they need to send their children (male and female, only child or not) to the front line and put them into harm's way and see how it feels when they get killed.

Have you ever seen (Section 60, The saddest acres), it's real heart wrenching?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues