Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM

280 posts, read 308,949 times

Advertisements

I plan on trying to join the Airforce sometime next year. Maybe Feb 2015. However I have some questions.

For the AFOQT test would it be a good idea to study for the last few months left in this year, and then take the test sometime in January. I want to be sure I'm prepared since apparently you only get two tries to take it.

Where would be the best place to get some very good and up to date study guides for the AFOQT?

Does the AFOQT only apply to the airforce or all the branches of the military? I mean would my scores transfer to another branch if I wanted them to?

Does taking the AFOQT officially contract you to the military?

For the basic training portion would having no arches on my feet automatically disqualify me?

I want to go in as an Officer( I have a bachelor degree),but what if I like a job that an enlisted can do. Would I be allowed to do it even as an officer?

How good in math and science do you have to be to join the Airforce? I know for a Pilot you have to be very good,but what about all the other jobs. Civilian?

For jobs that transfer to the civilian sector how many years do you have to give before you can officially leave?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM

24,326 posts, read 13,180,292 times
AFOQT = Air Force Officers Qualifying Test, so that answers several of your questions. Taking the test establishes your eligibilty for Air Force officership, it does not obligate you.

I took the AFOQT in my senior year in high school. My scores were high enough that I qualified for, and ultimately accepted, a full 4-year ROTC scholarship and a pilot slot. At the time the only way to be a pilot was to have a technical degree, but being good at math isn't a prerequisite, it really helps, though.

Other than JTAC, you can't do an enlisted job as an officer.

Service commitments vary based on your AFSC and training.

I didn't study for the AFOQT, it was a lot like the SAT and ACT. There are some technical questions (mechanical) that might benefit from study.

Your medical evaluation would determine you eligibility based on your feet.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 09-18-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I wouldn't bring up your feet. Let the medical exam find any problems. I have flat feet and did fine.
Do you know of an enlisted job you'd like? There may be an officer slot in that area of expertise.
I know I had a 6 year commitment. 4 active 2 inactive.
Best wishes! I'd study, since you seem so inclined. Can't hurt!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,343,423 times
For the AFOQT test would it be a good idea to study for the last few months left in this year, and then take the test sometime in January. I want to be sure I'm prepared since apparently you only get two tries to take it.
- Depends on how good at the material you already are. Some don't study at all, some take a GRE/GMAT prep course because the material is similar.

Where would be the best place to get some very good and up to date study guides for the AFOQT?
- Online, or buy a GRE/GMAT prep, as well as an aviation test prep book from the SAT study guide area of your local book store.

Does the AFOQT only apply to the airforce or all the branches of the military? I mean would my scores transfer to another branch if I wanted them to?
- It is ONLY and Air Force test. It doesn't apply in any way to any other branch.

Does taking the AFOQT officially contract you to the military?
- Absolutely not. You can get a perfect score and we can still reject you. Or, you can reject us.

For the basic training portion would having no arches on my feet automatically disqualify me?
- This does not disqualify anyone unless it is accompanied by issues (pain, custom orthodics needed, inability to stand, etc)

I want to go in as an Officer( I have a bachelor degree),but what if I like a job that an enlisted can do. Would I be allowed to do it even as an officer?
- You can only do officer jobs as an officer. Enlisted are workers, Officers are managers and aviators, generally speaking. Officers can not fill enlisted job spots.

How good in math and science do you have to be to join the Airforce? I know for a Pilot you have to be very good,but what about all the other jobs. Civilian?
- It will depend on your AFOQT score

For jobs that transfer to the civilian sector how many years do you have to give before you can officially leave?
- Most contracts are 4 years initially, except Health officers, those are three. Pilots are 10.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 PM

280 posts, read 308,949 times
Thank-you dmarie. Since there are so many different ones which books, concerning the GRE/GMAT and aviation, would you suggest?

ACT/SAT books?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2014, 02:37 AM

36 posts, read 265,126 times
fantasy09, I recently started studying for the AFOQT as well.

It's an extremely simple and straightforward test - the only parts that I found new were the instrument reading and /hidden figures sections.

The math and language are at best high-school level. And if you have put together Ikea furniture, you'll do well in the block counting/rotation section.

The general science and aviation probably need some brushing up, but aren't too hard.

There are several study guides available (I bought the Barron's version) and once you start studying, you realize it's not bad at all.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:28 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,343,423 times
An ACT/SAT study guide will not help much, this test is much more advanced, which is why I suggested the graduate school exam books. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:18 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,825,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
An ACT/SAT study guide will not help much, this test is much more advanced, which is why I suggested the graduate school exam books. Good luck!
Out of curiosity, do they still require a psychological evaluation/test. I had to take that as part of the process for applying to Army OCS. But that was many years ago.

It was far more difficult (and downright devious in some aspects) than I thought it would be. In fact, I've never taken anything like it - before or since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues