Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 918 times

Advertisements

ok so I'm interested in joining the air force or navy. The only problem is I cant figure out what job I want. I know that I don't want to be stuck behind a desk. I want to do something that might have me deployed. I'm not so good at math or science. I have not taken my as asvab yet and I know that that will also help determine what kind of job I can have but I still want to get a basic idea. I am a female and I'm not weak but I'm not the strongest either. So I need help figure out if the air force or navy is better, and what jobs I should consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 AM

11,888 posts, read 26,992,554 times
1. Take the ASVAB
2. Shop around with your score and see which service offers you a better MOS/rate.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 AM

5,272 posts, read 6,442,492 times
Quote:
I want to do something that might have me deployed.
As someone with multiple female family members in both forces, if you want to get deployed, I'd say don't have any children (until later). My full-time female family members with children both retired from their respective branch of the armed forces without ever being sent overseas (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'deployed') even once because one had 3 and the other 4 children. The one with 4 total kids' husband was also active military - he was only deployed once in a 20 year career as they had one special needs child.

Actually my sister in the navy was 'deployed' once, which meant working on a ship docked in the Corpus Christi harbor for 6 weeks. That was the only time she ever spent on a ship.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM

24,357 posts, read 13,223,628 times
I chose the Air Force over my first choice, the Navy, only because the Navy could not offer some guarantees such as a pilot slot. Could've ended up in a sub under the waves versus flying over them.

I used to work with quite a few female crew chiefs. They were ultimately responsible for preparing, launching and recovering aircraft. It's an often hot, noisy and dirty job, and every one I worked with (male and female) was highly dedicated and motivated... if I wasn't a pilot/officer I would've preferred to have been a DCC. It's outdoors mostly, sometimes lousy weather, deployable, and still had a high reenlistment rate. There's a lot of satisfaction in seeing your aircraft leave the chocks and come back a couple hours later. That I had a safe landing for every takeoff I flew in over 20 years of flying speaks a lot about the professionalism of the crew chiefs.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

886 posts, read 5,726,038 times
At this time with all the cuts you don't get much of a choice. You get what they have available and your scores allow. So talk to a recruiter and take your ASVAB and go from there and see if there is anything you are interested in.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,383,106 times
It is okay to speak with two recruiters to see which service has the best deal for you. Have your read through the descriptions of the various jobs offered by both services? "Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjames9607 View Post
So I need help figure out if the air force or navy is better, and what jobs I should consider.

Check These Out, from the services:
Videos : Gallery : About the Navy : Navy.com
Videos & More: Videos - airforce.com

Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM

553 posts, read 597,984 times
Sounds like you're looking at flight deck maintenance where you'll either be a "tweet" (electronics--algebra needed.) or a "mech". Mechs are divided into "mechs"(engines) and "metal bangers". Flight deck maintenance is simpler and doesn't require as much math. The Air Force has a similar division. The Navy can add maintenance and opperation of the ship besides the "Airdales". "Snipes" are down in the engine room. "Blackshoes" are the rest of the sailors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues