Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,641,804 times

Advertisements

The Navy is looking for ways to adapt its training for millennials, young people raised in a child-centric culture who want and expect nurturing relationships with their bosses, the commanding officer of the submarine school in Groton said:

Navy Seeks to Adapt Training for Millennials | Military.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,024,619 times
I have to agree with the Commander. Feedback, whether positive or negative, is a great thing. Give people positive feedback and generally they will work harder and morale will be higher. When it comes to the military and the crazy hours they work, high morale goes a very long way.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I have to agree with the Commander. Feedback, whether positive or negative, is a great thing. Give people positive feedback and generally they will work harder and morale will be higher. When it comes to the military and the crazy hours they work, high morale goes a very long way.
Here, too.

In fact, I was described favorably by my Captain as a parent to my police troops with all the energy I put into my job in the late Cold War.

So I have to wonder, what is different between what I did and what he is purposing?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:16 AM

37,544 posts, read 61,623,322 times
When I went through sub-school [BESS] in 1977, it was 5 weeks long. Sailors generally arrived a week before their class-up date, and spent the wait in a X-division doing clean-up chores around the base. Every Monday a new BESS class starts.

We also had to go through dental screening within the first couple days of arriving. Wisdom teeth are a big concern within the Sub-Service. Nearly every candidate for Sub-Service needs to have their wisdom teeth removed. That operation begins a 3-day bed rest. Many of us did not get that operation until after we had began classes, but that only means you get set-back to the class that started the week after your original class started.

For the most part within 7-weeks, you transfer off to your next pipeline school [A school and C schools, and then to the fleet].

The only time I 'met' the Sub-School CO was during the graduation ceremony. Students were in formation, he came out and gave a 10-minute speech then he left. We were moved around into a different formation for a class photo. Then we left.

I returned to Groton a year later for my first boat, and was home-ported there for 3 years. I returned to Groton again in 1990 for another 3 years. When I retired in '01 we went back to that area and lived across the river for a few years, before we moved to Maine. Every time that I returned to the Groton Subase, the routine seems to have remained the same at BESS. Every Monday a new class starts, every Friday a class is graduating, there is a brief ceremony followed by a class photo.

There is also an officer sub-school located there.

I suspect what the article is referring to, is the speech the BESS CO gives every Friday to each graduating class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues