Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,287 times

Advertisements

I swore in to the Delayed Entry Program a few days ago. I met with my recruiter and gave him a few jobs I'm interested in. I chose 6: In-Flight Refueling, Aircraft Loadmaster, Airborne Operations, Aircrew Flight Equipment, Air Transportation and Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice. Then Open General...
As you can tell I'm not interested in medical fields or electrical. I'm open to some paper-pushing jobs but I'd like to actually be doing something.
My ASVAB scores: AFQT62 M61 A61 G64 E58
I don't have any medical limitations. (depth, color blindness, hearing, ect... all good)
I would love to travel as much as possible and I wouldn't mind deploying a lot.
Thanks guys!

edit: I'll be enlisting as an E-3, if that matters.

Last edited by cbarker11; 04-30-2015 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: add rank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:33 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarker11 View Post
I swore in to the Delayed Entry Program a few days ago. I met with my recruiter and gave him a few jobs I'm interested in. I chose 6: In-Flight Refueling, Aircraft Loadmaster, Airborne Operations, Aircrew Flight Equipment, Air Transportation and Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice. Then Open General...
As you can tell I'm not interested in medical fields or electrical. I'm open to some paper-pushing jobs but I'd like to actually be doing something.
I don't have any medical limitations. (depth, color blindness, hearing, ect... all good)
Thanks guys!

C130 loadmaster, I'd say. I took a poll during my career, and I never met a C130 loadmaster who didn't adore the job. The missions are more frequent, shorter, and to a greater variety of places than larger aircraft types. I understand that these days the J-model C130 loadmaster also operates as flight engineer.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Welcome to the Air Force!! I don't have any recommendation since it looks like you already picked an awesome list!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
There's one other on the list... crew chief. Every time I flew it started with the dedication of the crew chief. It's the hardest job you'll ever love.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Best paper pushing job post Air Force is contracting as it leads directly into a 100k job either as a GS employee in career 1102 or working for a large corporation. Also the 8 to 5 lifestyle in air conditioning is nice also.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
And regarding the loadmaster--they don't actually load the cargo themselves. They plan and direct the loading. I was intel myself and loved it, but I'm an admitted nerd. If you want to be on the go and see places, I think C130 loadmaster is the ticket for an enlisted person.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarker11 View Post
Thanks guys!

Go for it!!

Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Forgot to add:

Had an enlisted (A1C) female in our Air Freight unit that wanted to be more than a just "Load Toad" so she applied for Loadmaster school, was accepted and off she went to Altus AFB (for C-5's at the time) for training.
Sometime later (about a year), she came back to visit friends and the old unit, we asked how she liked it and a big grin appear on her face...She loved it!!!!!.

I stated that at the time, Loadmaster school for C-5's was done at Altus AFB, and for C-130's was/is done at Little Rock AFB, don't know if it has changed.
There's also survival, water and parachuting training as well.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Forgot to add:

Had an enlisted (A1C) female in our Air Freight unit that wanted to be more than a just "Load Toad" so she applied for Loadmaster school, was accepted and off she went to Altus AFB (for C-5's at the time) for training.
Sometime later (about a year), she came back to visit friends and the old unit, we asked how she liked it and a big grin appear on her face...She loved it!!!!!.

I stated that at the time, Loadmaster school for C-5's was done at Altus AFB, and for C-130's was/is done at Little Rock AFB, don't know if it has changed.
There's also survival, water and parachuting training as well.

Good luck.

C-5 at Kelly/Lackland, C-130 still at The Rock. C-17 and KC-135 training at Altus (I see them in the pattern 30 miles west daily). As far as TDY goes, one great location, one very good one, and one, oh well.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
C-5 at Kelly/Lackland, C-130 still at The Rock. C-17 and KC-135 training at Altus (I see them in the pattern 30 miles west daily). As far as TDY goes, one great location, one very good one, and one, oh well.

LOL.

Did my time at Altus, America (1996 - 2000)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues