Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
For years I did not use the VA because I had insurance and there are those who were worse off than I.

I am dabbling my toe into using VA services. Will see how it goes But now it seems that most of my maladies are age related and at first blush the VA seems more experienced and more efficient in dealing with those things.

Waiting for appointments and cost may be an issue for me that redirects me to private

Will see
One thing I did like about the VA was that the paperwork was limited.

You didn't have to fill out the same thing over and over again. Just show your card and that was it.

I go to my regular doctor and gotta fill out paperwork, make sure they still have my insurance on file. We should just have a chip implanted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One of the problems I personally see are vets with no service related issues using the VA. I truly believe a retired military vet and anyone with a service related disability deserve is fully entitled to VA services. That said, some guy that did 2 years in the army driving a truck in Germany some 60 years ago and has no military related medical problems is typical of many bottlenecking the system.

Did you retire from the Military? Yes. How can we help you?
Is your situation/medical problem related to your time in the military Yes. How can we help you?
Is your situation/medical problem related to your time in the military No. Sorry, we cannot help you.
One of the benefits of serving in the military is health care, be it service connected or not. The VA says all you have to do is serve 180 days of active duty to receive this benefit. It isn't an entitlement, you, by serving your country earned this benefit.

Now what the VA will do is set priorities, these priorities are classified into 8 groups ranging from those with service connected and disability rating greater than 50% set at priority 1 to those who have no disability but served honorably in the military in priority group 8.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,155,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One of the problems I personally see are vets with no service related issues using the VA. I truly believe a retired military vet and anyone with a service related disability deserve is fully entitled to VA services. That said, some guy that did 2 years in the army driving a truck in Germany some 60 years ago and has no military related medical problems is typical of many bottlenecking the system.

Did you retire from the Military? Yes. How can we help you?
Is your situation/medical problem related to your time in the military Yes. How can we help you?
Is your situation/medical problem related to your time in the military No. Sorry, we cannot help you.
You have to remember, the VA is now using people for their insurance. Even with my service related injury they still want my insurance info first. I believe that those with service related injuries and who are retired Military should have priority above all others.

Its all about the money.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Well worth 32 minutes for those using the VA:

Newsmakers Secretary Robert McDonald | Video | C-SPAN.org

Be interesting to hear if any of you have noticed changes.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:51 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
I got a letter last month telling me I was $500 over income limits for care. This was for 2014. That I would be responsible for medical copayments for that year. I rarely ever go to the VA. In fact since moving to the Tampa area, I have no desire to use the overcrowded facility. The VAcharges my insurances for the few times I have gone there. What is striking me very odd is this. The VA is a preferred provider for Medicare and Blue Cross. I have no copayments for doctors visits with this insurance, whenever I go to facilities that participate in my plans. So the VA is breaking rules. Either way I have no use for them, and stopped going long before this letter arrived.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I got a letter last month telling me I was $500 over income limits for care. This was for 2014. That I would be responsible for medical copayments for that year. I rarely ever go to the VA. In fact since moving to the Tampa area, I have no desire to use the overcrowded facility. The VAcharges my insurances for the few times I have gone there. What is striking me very odd is this. The VA is a preferred provider for Medicare and Blue Cross. I have no copayments for doctors visits with this insurance, whenever I go to facilities that participate in my plans. So the VA is breaking rules.
Not really. VA and Medicare/BCBS are two entirely different insurance plans with two different payment parameters. So, no, VA is not breaking the rules.

Interestingly, McDonald says there are SEVEN different VA payment methods - depending on the type of vet you are. Further, yes, Tampa is an area attractive to older people. Older people tend to be sicker. No surprise, Tampa can't meet the demand.

The video is very interesting and covers lots of ground. As the military population has grown, in some areas the VA has not grown to meet the demand for its services. The problem today is getting the necessary funding from Congress. McDonald stated in the 70's there were two million vets accessing VA, today there 10 million - and MORE COMING. Which means Congress needs to look to the future to provide for that.

He is opposed to privatization and discusses many of the invaluable innovations to US medicine provided by the VA over the years - research and cutting edge therapies no for-profit private insurer would ever fund. VA has won three Nobel prizes. Interestingly enough, McDonald says 70% of the docs in the US have trained at the VA and the VA is the largest employer of nurses in the US. Quite a surprise, to me.

I found that video very informative. McDonald appears to have a firm grasp of past, present and future issues facing the VA.

Fwiw - I listen to C-Span call-in shows every day - and have done for many years. Of the many, many vets who've called in over the years, there have only been a few criticizing the VA. The vast majority - eight/nine out of ten - rave about the care they have received at the VA.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-24-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues