Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 PM

29,544 posts, read 22,866,684 times

Advertisements

What's been your favorite port of visit for those fortunate enough to go overseas?

I've been on two West Pacs. Unfortunately for both tours several cities were cancelled at the last minute so we didn't visit as many places as we could have.

But if I had to pick my most favorite place I visited, it would have to be Singapore. I thought it to be a clean city with a lot of cool things to do like visit the zoo, go shopping in stores, play sports. I wouldn't mind going back again one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,270,076 times
Singapore was nice but definitely nowhere near my favorite.

Favorite was probably Mombasa Kenya as I loved the people, the wildlife and the safari I took for three days...most fun was probably Pattaya Beach Thailand with Subic Bay a close second.

Loved Australia, China, Hong Kong, Korea and Japan also. Can't say there was one I didn't enjoy.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,318,593 times
Perth had some of the friendliest women in the world.

Olongapo and Phattya Beach need their own category.

Punta Arenas was cool. So very cool. Frigid in fact.

Singapore had that sculpture hill of the universe?

No one favorite, each place had something to recommend it.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:41 PM

37,595 posts, read 61,699,429 times
I served on a tender for 3 years, during that period of time we made one liberty port which was Brest France. It was okay.

I served on three subs, for a total of 17 deterrent patrols. In all of those patrols we saw four liberty ports in total. Lisbon Portugal, St. Thomas Charlotte Amalie, Saint Marys Georgia, and San Diego Ca.

In my 20 year career, I have seen five liberty ports. I think St. Thomas Charlotte Amalie was the best.

I did three months in the Mediterranean once, we did loops around hundreds of the tiny islands and tracked alongside all of the coasts. We stuck a periscope up out of the water maybe a half-dozen times, so the Captian could look at the moon. But otherwise we stayed submerged the whole time.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:51 PM

17,686 posts, read 17,895,244 times
Served on two ships, USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 & USS LaSalle AGF-3 when it became the 6th fleet flag ship out of Gaeta Italy. Loved Rhodes Greece. I enjoyed many of the ports but Rhodes is always my favorite. Others I enjoyed included Barcelona Spain, Venice Italy, Valletta Malta, Athens Greece, Varna Bulgaria, and Haifa Israel. Of course I enjoyed the home port of Gaeta Italy.

Ports I absolutely hated and refused to ever go back to include Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Turkey, and France.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But if I had to pick my most favorite place I visited, it would have to be Singapore. I thought it to be a clean city with a lot of cool things to do like visit the zoo, go shopping in stores, play sports. I wouldn't mind going back again one day.
I do have to mention that the "cool things" you mention are things I would never do when visiting another country as I can do all that at home. I want to be out and in the culture and experiencing things I can't see/do at home.

Probably why we have different favorites.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,788,374 times
Asked spouse just now, he said Singapore, hands down.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 PM

Very surprised Singapore would be someones favorite for places visited during a West Pac. It is a nice, clean, city but it was very urban with not a lot of unique things to do. I'm glad I went there several times and got to drink a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar in the Raffles Hotel but it would not be anywhere near the top of my list if I was picking places I wanted to visit again.

One thing that did stand out in Singapore is that I had never seen so many beautiful Asian women in any of the other places I visited.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Favorite? Something in the Caribbean or the Bahamas PROVIDED we got there by not being at GITMO.

Otherwise, well, La Maddalena is great the first or second time you are there but if you are there for a month or two, it becomes a little more exciting than Agusta Bay.

I'd say Taormina, Sicily.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:18 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

I'd say Taormina, Sicily.
Did you do the Thousand Steps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues